• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe on Wake Football, Lambert (Awesome Interview on WSJS)

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
Love hearing from Grobie, class act. I know things didn't end well, but he did a lot to make what's happening now possible. Clawson has said knowing what Grobe had done here in his peak made the job much more attractive. Would love to see him honored at a game soon.

And Grobe sat down and told Clawson "what he would do differently" if he had to do it all over again, when Claw got the job.

I sure hope this is part of making things right with Grobe. The fact is his work at Wake Forest is his legacy, and he played a huge role in enabling the program to get where it is now. It’s in both parties’ interests to be on good terms here. Each helps the other. I wanted him fired a year earlier than he was, but I appreciate what he did in the grand scheme of the WF program. I’m hoping this is on Currie’s list of things to do, maybe it’s already happened.

I sure hope this is part of making things right with Grobe. The fact is his work at Wake Forest is his legacy, and he played a huge role in enabling the program to get where it is now. It’s in both parties’ interests to be on good terms here. Each helps the other. I wanted him fired a year earlier than he was, but I appreciate what he did in the grand scheme of the WF program. I’m hoping this is on Currie’s list of things to do, maybe it’s already happened.

From the way Grobe sounded in the interview, he and Wake are on good terms. That would be solidified by putting Grobe in the WFU Athletics Hall of Fame.

From the way Grobe sounded in the interview, he and Wake are on good terms. That would be solidified by putting Grobe in the WFU Athletics Hall of Fame.

Agree. It’s time.

I’m sure getting Grobe in the HOF is just a matter of timing for he and university to find a good date.

Some of us were of the opinion that some genre mending needed to happen between Wake and Jim Grobe. His departure was not the smoothest. With Currie now Wake AD, some of the issues may well have gone away.

Some of us were of the opinion that some genre mending needed to happen between Wake and Jim Grobe. His departure was not the smoothest. With Currie now Wake AD, some of the issues may well have gone away.

No one is generally happy about being fired.

I think most of the facilities improvements we have seen were things Jim had asked for and did not get. That took the bloom off the rose for him understandably. HOF should get done soon. I got to attend his National Coach of the Year dinner beating out Schiano which was impressive. He is a good man and Coach. Thanks Jim!

I think most of the facilities improvements we have seen were things Jim had asked for and did not get. That took the bloom off the rose for him understandably. HOF should get done soon. I got to attend his National Coach of the Year dinner beating out Schiano which was impressive. He is a good man and Coach. Thanks Jim!

We got some good stadium improvements during his tenure, but not the on campus facilities, which are arguably more important since that's where the players spend by far most of their time.

Sidebar: never liked the "Grobie" nickname; guessing he doesn't either. Not sure I've ever heard it in public or seen it in print other than on this board. Kinda silly way to refer to a grown man of some accomplishment.

Downie

Well some of that is on him. It’s not like Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary weren’t around then. Give them something to invest in, and they seem to be willing to write the check.

Well some of that is on him. It’s not like Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary weren’t around then. Give them something to invest in, and they seem to be willing to write the check.

He won our first ACC title since 1970 and our best 3 year run in forever at that time, not sure what else he could've done to give them something to invest in. I think some of the commitments to the things that have been done since Clawson came was during his first 2 3-9 seasons.

He won our first ACC title since 1970 and our best 3 year run in forever at that time, not sure what else he could've done to give them something to invest in. I think some of the commitments to the things that have been done since Clawson came was during his first 2 3-9 seasons.

We did get Deacon Tower out of it, right? That was a HUGE facilities improvement at the time.

ETA: We also got the video board during Grobe. I guess I understand the campus improvements are more of a day to day deal that help recruiting and retaining players. Bottom line, we were getting some nice facilities upgrades during the Grobe years.

Last edited:

I think it is not just about results though, it’s also about being a salesman and selling the vision of the future. I think that is a skill that Clawson has that Grobe did not.

We did get Deacon Tower out of it, right? That was a HUGE facilities improvement at the time.

ETA: We also got the video board during Grobe. I guess I understand the campus improvements are more of a day to day deal that help recruiting and retaining players. Bottom line, we were getting some nice facilities upgrades during the Grobe years.

Yeah, the stadium upgrades were great, but the players are at the stadium probably 10 times or less a year. Clawson has talked about how its great to have a nice stadium, but the facilities the players use everyday are really more important. It's not just during football season, these guys are using the on campus stuff pretty much year round. Honestly, we were really at a point where a lot needed to be done and it would've been difficult to get all that needed to be done in a relatively short period of time. It's all worked out, we got the stadium upgrades during Grobe, we got a great coach and great on campus upgrades after Grobe.

Love Grobe although I think last few years he lost the fire in his belly for whatever reason. I remember Clawson commenting when he got the job how the players needed to spend more time in the weight room.

Have a ton of respect for what Jim Grobe brought to Wake Forest football. And having met him a few times, he's an extremely nice person. I don't know the specifics regarding facilities but I do think that his unwillingness (almost defiance) to make coaching changes did not help his longevity. Clawson will obviously pull the trigger and make improvements where needed. Grobe appeared hell-bent-and-determined to ride the Lobo horse into retirement.

Also, this past fall, Clawson was asked about Grobe and he made an interesting comment that "... you have to keep feeding this thing." Obviously, he didn't mention Grobe by name, nor should he, but it was clear the contrast he was making. So, I don't know if he was referring to recruiting, coaches, facilities or all of the above.

Back