• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

Monsanto took himself out near the end of the game and was pointing to his leg. Hopefully nothing serious (understatement of the year).

Monsanto took himself out near the end of the game and was pointing to his leg. Hopefully nothing serious (understatement of the year).

Damn, so now I gotta worry about this until 6PM tomorrow night. Thanks.

i am sure word would have leaked out by now if there was anything to be concerned about.

He did the same in the Tech game.

Forbes did say in the postgame that Monsanto is far from being in peak condition due to his Achilles injury. Him taking himself out may have had something to do with that.

I wonder how many people felt great that Monsanto didn't try a 360 dunk on that break away? I was having flashbacks to another time. Glad he went for the less spectacular but effective slam.

Yeah, it happened when we had 90 with around 2:30 left to go in the 2nd half. He went for a rebound and looked like he rolled his ankle ever so slightly. Didn’t look like anything serious. Hope he can bounce back and be ready to go for BC

He was clearly gassed with about 8 minutes left. Agree that once he gets into game shape he is going to be a problem. He also might be the only guy on the roster who is clearly comfortable shooting the three off the bounce. Well, except ManMan.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding Monsanto's original redshirt year at ETSU under Forbes, and I don't follow redshirts all that closely, but...

I can't remember ever seeing a player who redshirted voluntarily with this much natural ability

usually a non-medical redshirt means "project" which in the vast majority of cases means "won't ever contribute in a meaningful way"

kudos to Forbes for recruiting him (twice) and helping him develop (and kudos to Damari, of course)

Just hold him out for the BC game, and let him keep working on his legs/recovery. No need to push it and have some ankle sprain or re-sprain or "sore achilles" or whatever...he is going to be money from about March 1 forward.

BC is defense first, and the score will be in the 60's I assume --- but we should still win without Monsanto.

Couldn't disagree more. Monsanto is healthy, aside from conditioning. The solution for that is game minutes and going hard in practice.

We don't play again until Saturday. I actually expect him to play more minutes tonight.

Couldn't disagree more. Monsanto is healthy, aside from conditioning. The solution for that is game minutes and going hard in practice.

We don't play again until Saturday. I actually expect him to play more minutes tonight.

Agree, Monsanto will continue to play more minutes in each game and rightfully so. He is being eased in just fine.

A few weeks ago I was nearly certain that our lack of depth and inconsistent 3 point shooting would be this team's biggest weakness. Suddenly depth looks like a strength and we have a fearless shooter off the bench. I hope we see more minutes for both Monsanto and Marsh tonight.

Yeah, you have to play Monsanto if he’s able. He looks good out there in terms of injury recovery and I doubt we’d have risked it this year if he wasn’t nearly/if not all the way healed.

Also, we really need him against Syracuse with that zone. If he can get good reps. against BC, put him out there.

personally, I want to see more of Marsh before I consider him beneficial

He was beneficial vs. UNC.

Yeah, you have to play Monsanto if he’s able. He looks good out there in terms of injury recovery and I doubt we’d have risked it this year if he wasn’t nearly/if not all the way healed.

Also, we really need him against Syracuse with that zone. If he can get good reps. against BC, put him out there.

Given the Covid year, I think Monsanto would have played this season even if he was to become available a few weeks from now.

Last edited:
personally, I want to see more of Marsh before I consider him beneficial

I mean, he played some pretty good minutes against UNC. But sure...he's a little stiff out there and hasn't really shown any post moves yet, but he doesn't shoot the ball like someone who is 7 ft. tall and he is a large immovable object in the paint on defense. We haven't had someone to mold like him in a very long time.

Back