• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

Love him, gets a little out of control at times, but that is probably because he hasn't gotten all the rust off.

Damari has enormous potential. I was at the Pitt game. In the first half, he took an elbow to the head, which looked deliberate. The refs missed it so not sure this was shown on TV. After the elbow, he started chirping including a prolonged discussion with one of the refs at halftime as the players were walking to the lockerroom. He continued chirping in the second half so his T was just a matter of time.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding Monsanto's original redshirt year at ETSU under Forbes, and I don't follow redshirts all that closely, but...

I can't remember ever seeing a player who redshirted voluntarily with this much natural ability

usually a non-medical redshirt means "project" which in the vast majority of cases means "won't ever contribute in a meaningful way"

kudos to Forbes for recruiting him (twice) and helping him develop (and kudos to Damari, of course)

Forbes had a team that was winning 30 games without him. If he redshirted, he was going to get a lot more playing time for his first year.

Damari has enormous potential. I was at the Pitt game. In the first half, he took an elbow to the head, which looked deliberate. The refs missed it so not sure this was shown on TV. After the elbow, he started chirping including a prolonged discussion with one of the refs at halftime as the players were walking to the lockerroom. He continued chirping in the second half so his T was just a matter of time.

He needs to get focused now, as we have some winnable and huge games coming up.

Just being a 3-point (jacking up 3's) shooter is fine, but he has very good offensive ability and against teams like Miami and Duke - we need him to make 2-point shots; get fouled and make FT and play all around game well - defense/rebound.

He can really contribute beyond 3 point shooting and we NEED him.

He is only a few games into this season. I expect his results to still be up and down. I predict he will have a big game somewhere along the way. But then will also have a stinker. It’s ok. His upside is tremendous. I’m thrilled he got healthy and joined the team when he did.

Just being a 3-point (jacking up 3's) shooter is fine, but he has very good offensive ability and against teams like Miami and Duke - we need him to make 2-point shots; get fouled and make FT and play all around game well - defense/rebound.

The previous game, against FSU, he had 9 pts and 8 rebs in 18 minutes, including that crucial drive and dish to Walton.

I think with Monsanto coming in late in the season and probably still not in total game shape, his job is to play good defense and take the open 3's (like Muscius) when he is in there. We have Williams and Williamson driving to the hoop along with LaRavia. Forbes subs great and we can attack from a number of options both inside and outside. Just don't see Monsanto doing alot of dribble driving and posting up while he is in there.

As expected, Monsanto is erratic from game to game right now, but he will be an absolute beast next year. His ceiling is high. Really excited to see how he develops.

Well Duke’s first sub off the bench pretty much cleaned him out away from the ball, as is tradition.

That pull up. Whoa.

I missed the first 3/4 of the game - what was the deal with Williamson? I didn't see him in the game??

Forbes thought going big would be better for defense. He was right.

Where would Monsanto's buzzer beater have ranked in all time greatest WF shots? 2nd behind the crossover? 3rd behind Ish's buzzer beater or Rodney's 360?

A length of the court shot to win at Cameron after the lost decade would be #1.

Back