• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

Obviously we’re talking about behind THE SHOT which belongs on its own tier.

The crossover was in the 1st half of that game. Obviously the game was bigger but the shot itself wasn’t.

He’s gonna have a game tonight

I hope so. Feels like the last few games the team hasn't played up to their potential overall. Hoping everyone is firing on all cylinders tonight!

Would love to see Monsanto get some extended playing time these next few games. Would love for him to have a 3 point explosion like against UNC!

He's starting. He's going to pop off.

Played well but got a little trigger happy on well guarded 3s and missed his last 6. Also is normally a plus defender but got cooked a bunch. So much potential though and excited to see him turn into a star. Hopefully he can learn to beat his man off the dribble and get to the rim. He already has a silky pull up game.

He is a microwave and damn fun to watch. All ACC potential. That said, he takes a lot of bad shots, even some of the pull ups he drains are bad shots. He refuses to go to the rim, but may be because he doesn't fully trust his body yet, not blaming him there.

Only 6 minutes tonight. Is he under the weather?

He is a microwave and damn fun to watch. All ACC potential. That said, he takes a lot of bad shots, even some of the pull ups he drains are bad shots. He refuses to go to the rim, but may be because he doesn't fully trust his body yet, not blaming him there.

shooters shoot

Only 6 minutes tonight. Is he under the weather?

I thought our rotations tonight might have suggested (to an extent) that we might have needed to consider adjustments to PT because of more widespread health issues. Just a guess. But outside of Sy's absence how does one explain it?

Sy's absence only seems to explain Marsh playing 12 minutes.

Moving away from Whitt and getting a big lead early explains Hildreth playing 18 minutes.

I can't see an on-court explanation for Monsanto only playing 6.

From 16:35 to 13:40. He played the rest of the game until the starters came out.

In the post game Forbes specifically said Monsanto is not completely in game shape because of his injury (i.e. conditioning).

Sy's absence only seems to explain Marsh playing 12 minutes.

Moving away from Whitt and getting a big lead early explains Hildreth playing 18 minutes.

I can't see an on-court explanation for Monsanto only playing 6.

Mucius was playing well, on both offense and defense. He and Monsanto play very similar roles on the team.

Have been notably wrong a lot lately about the 2021-2 Deacs (although I did expect major improvement and laid the max on the WF "over" 7.5 conference wins) and may be you can add this take to the "loud wrong" list, but I will be pleasantly surprised if Monsanto shoots as a high percentage from 3 as Mucius

Monsanto will be very good in the long run, but he is coming off a major injury, and while I love the SoCon, Monsanto's numbers last year came primarily against SoCon teams or worse (granted Monsanto had a big game against Bama last year) -- inferior competition. As an example, Jalen Johnson who was an "OK" player for the Deacs last year shooting 32% from 3; this year in the SoCon for Mercer, Johnson is shooting a ridiculous 47% from 3; 57% in conference games. In other words, take SoCon numbers with a grain of salt when a player head to a Power V.

Think any expectation that Monsanto will be a stronger three point threat than Mucius for the rest of the season is a step too far.

Posted on 1/18/22

Since then:
Mucius - 25/74 = 33.8%
Monsanto - 32/77 = 41.6%

Back