• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

If nothing else, having Williamson back and adding Monsanto should mean that Mucius isn't firing 10+ 3 point attempts per game anymore... Which is a good thing.

I think if you spread those wide open looks around to Mucius, Williamson, and Monsanto, you've got 3 guys that can shoot nearly 40% from 3. That's huge on a team with Williams, LaRavia, and Whitt who all pass the ball very well.

But I also realize that the offense hasn't really been an issue so far. It's the defense... And hopefully adding another body to the rotation helps that, as well.

If nothing else, having Williamson back and adding Monsanto should mean that Mucius isn't firing 10+ 3 point attempts per game anymore... Which is a good thing.

I think if you spread those wide open looks around to Mucius, Williamson, and Monsanto, you've got 3 guys that can shoot nearly 40% from 3. That's huge on a team with Williams, LaRavia, and Whitt who all pass the ball very well.

But I also realize that the offense hasn't really been an issue so far. It's the defense... And hopefully adding another body to the rotation helps that, as well.

I think Whit filled in admirably but he isn't a shooter. Getting Williamson back will help spread out the floor a lot more and get open shots as well as Williams driving the lane. Can't wait to see what Monsanto can show us this soon after a major injury. I hope they are not rushing him back.

Yes, Whitt is not a shooter. He hasn't made a 3 point shot since December 11. Currently riding an 0 for 10 streak (0 for 8 against ACC teams). That said, he's better than that. Whitt shot 32% last year, and there were not many other threats to draw the defenses attention. With the offensive talent on this team, Whitt can get an open look pretty much always. His recent misses on wide open shots signal that missing open 3s has gotten in his head. FWIW, thought that Whitt played relatively well against Syracuse, 25 minutes, 6 assists and 0 TOs, but it hurts when there is a player on the court that is no threat to score: among those that get PT, Whitt is DFL (by a wide margin) in 3 PT% (21%), 2 PT% (38%) and FT% (33%).

To abuse a famous phrase, "half of Whitt's shooting problems are 90% mental."

How about his defense and t.o. and and assist ratio of one to one?

he is doing well there, but i do think his ability to be a competent outside shooter (e.g. at or above 33%) is gonna be critical. from what i recall, he's always been considered a serviceable shooter and the fact he still has the green light suggest he's making enough of them in practice.

How about his defense and t.o. and and assist ratio of one to one?

Both defense and passing improved greatly against 'cuse. 5 assists 0 turnovers. Give me that every game, thank you.

Both defense and passing improved greatly against 'cuse. 5 assists 0 turnovers. Give me that every game, thank you.

yep he played well and he always gets some boards. Confidence level will come back as soon as he hits a few shots (hopefully sooner rather than later)

Yes, Whitt is not a shooter. He hasn't made a 3 point shot since December 11. Currently riding an 0 for 10 streak (0 for 8 against ACC teams). That said, he's better than that. Whitt shot 32% last year, and there were not many other threats to draw the defenses attention. With the offensive talent on this team, Whitt can get an open look pretty much always. His recent misses on wide open shots signal that missing open 3s has gotten in his head. FWIW, thought that Whitt played relatively well against Syracuse, 25 minutes, 6 assists and 0 TOs, but it hurts when there is a player on the court that is no threat to score: among those that get PT, Whitt is DFL (by a wide margin) in 3 PT% (21%), 2 PT% (38%) and FT% (33%).

He can't get a shot off in the paint against ACC competition and he can't hit the side of a barn from outside. He's just not an ACC level player. If he wants to stick around and contribute where he can with spot minutes great, but unless something starts clicking real quick he has to understand that after more than a year at Wake his options for playing time are going to be limited going forward.

I am in the camp that Whitt doesn’t shoot nearly well enough to be a good current contributor. The shot is a non-negotiable to be a long-term answer at guard without over the top elite athleticism, which he doesn’t possess. In an ideal world, Whitt wouldn’t have to play big minutes yet and would get to develop/add strength before having to be called on, but we have zero depth, so into the fire he goes before he’s ready. He’s apparently better than those on the bench, so he needs to eat minutes regardless.

And going forward, his shot doesn’t look right. Side spin, a little bit inconsistent form and arc — it doesn’t look like it’s just a short matter of time before it is good. That said, it is potentially fixable in the off season and if it does click, the rest of his game is likely good enough with a little improvement that he’d be a very solid contributor.

That said, I also agree with the group that says he’s being unfairly judged as a sophomore when we should be treating him as a freshman. I agree. If he’s a lost cause, I’d assume most of those saying that are even lower on McCray and Taylor? They’re the same age, same high school year, and can’t get on the floor over a guy with an offensive rating of 67. I hear none of that about the others behind him.

He can't get a shot off in the paint against ACC competition and he can't hit the side of a barn from outside. He's just not an ACC level player. If he wants to stick around and contribute where he can with spot minutes great, but unless something starts clicking real quick he has to understand that after more than a year at Wake his options for playing time are going to be limited going forward.

This is Whitt's freshman year. Last year he played his high school senior season at WFU. He has a whole new group of upper class team mates.

He was the guy in HS. He was asked to come to Wake last December and was handed the keys to run the team. This fall Manman arrived and really took over that role. Whitt is working on fitting in with all the new old guys.

He is way too busy thinking and not just playing basketball. He is giving effort and is pretty effective on defense. He is a lot better than Chill* at boxing out and getting rebounds.

His face says he probably isn't done growing yet. His inability to get an inside shot off is a combination of mental and (lack of) physical strength. That should take care of itself with a little tincture of time.

Meanwhile, I'm OK with his defense, rebounding and assists as a backup point guard.

*See Chill broadcast thread for details.

the obsession with Whitt is really something. dude is a freshman. Forbes likes him and plays him. Enough for me

Whitt has worked his ass off for the team and played better then average defense. I'm a huge Williamson fan BUT, he has not been the same scoring threat that he was last year. I understand that we have several other "stud" threats now, but to me, I've noticed that Williamson seems to have lost a little of his mojo. Just look at the numbers and they'll tell you everything and it seems like he is unsure when to drive b/c he's looking for Williams. I hope Williamson gets more involved with scoring because he is capable and we need him down the stretch. I'm not saying he is not playing hard, smart and within the team but "to me" it just looks like he is somewhat lacking his same demeanor as compared to last year. I realize it's a new year with much improved talent but again I believe in that cat and want him involved and scoring too.

We have an experienced roster and freshmen are trying to find their place. It’s nothing crazy. We just aren’t used to having an experienced roster and college basketball is about freshmen showing out and going to the league.

PS couldn't be happier with what our boy Forbes is doing at DEACTOWN..

Can Monsanto be a poor man's AJ Griffin?

Dude is like the perfect college 2/3 man on a quality team.

Wow. That’s big scoop.

Back