• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

Ok, it’s going to go something like this…

He’s going to come off the bench with 12 mins to go in the first half, hit three threes and sit at the four minute mark. He’ll then come back with 16 mins to go in the second half, hit four threes and sit at the six minute mark.

He’s going to come off the bench with 12 mins to go in the first half, hit three threes and sit at the four minute mark. He’ll then come back with 16 mins to go in the second half, hit four threes and sit at the six minute mark.

Conservatively

Let me get this right - you admit that your predictions are what caused him to get injured the first time. And now here you are making more predictions? Do you have something against him?

Let me get this right - you admit that your predictions are what caused him to get injured the first time. And now here you are making more predictions? Do you have something against him?

Fair point. I’m obviously kidding around.

Hope he can bounce back and get into playing form over the next few games so he can give us solid minutes down the stretch. He’s a stud. Pumped that he’s able to come back.

He had a four game stretch last year where KP has him as the game MVP in all 4. In those games he went:

Vs Furman: 168 ORTG, 22 pts, 6-8 3PT, 8 rebs
Vs The Citadel: 168 ORTG, 20 pts, 2-5 3PT, 13 rebs
Vs Wofford: 161 ORTG, 24 pts, 6-9 3PT, 8 rebs
Vs Mercer: 159 ORTG, 24 pts, 4-8 3PT, 10 rebs

He had a game earlier in the year where he hit 6-10 threes vs Alabama. His turnover rate is extremely good, and his defensive rebound % was 62nd best in the nation.

Certainly it will take him a while to get back into form, but goddamn, if we can get close to that level of production from him then it’s a game changer and we would be a legit problem in the ACC/NCAA tourneys.

Forbes's track record with transfers so far gives me little doubt that Monsanto is going to become a big piece for the Deacs.

I tore my Achilles a few days after him. I can’t imagine playing a basketball game right now.

He had a four game stretch last year where KP has him as the game MVP in all 4. In those games he went:

Vs Furman: 168 ORTG, 22 pts, 6-8 3PT, 8 rebs
Vs The Citadel: 168 ORTG, 20 pts, 2-5 3PT, 13 rebs
Vs Wofford: 161 ORTG, 24 pts, 6-9 3PT, 8 rebs
Vs Mercer: 159 ORTG, 24 pts, 4-8 3PT, 10 rebs

He had a game earlier in the year where he hit 6-10 threes vs Alabama. His turnover rate is extremely good, and his defensive rebound % was 62nd best in the nation.

Certainly it will take him a while to get back into form, but goddamn, if we can get close to that level of production from him then it’s a game changer and we would be a legit problem in the ACC/NCAA tourneys.
And that's as a freshman after redshirting the year before our. No reason to think that he plateaued

Walt Williams - that’s a blast from the past! Remind us what the surprise was?

Wake was playing at Maryland, (Feb 23, 1991, I think.) Walt Williams had been injured (broken leg) and was not expected to play in the game. Score was close at halftime. Walt was a surprise lineup insertion early in the second half. He scored several baskets as Maryland went on a big run to blow the game open and steal a win. Wake defense had no answer for him, as he was not expected to play. Wake had RoRo and Chill. Walt only played 17 games that season. Maryland was still recovering from the sanctions, and was pretty mediocre.

From the Baltimore Sun:

[FONT=&quot][h=1]Walt Williams helps Terps win, 86-78 Back from injury, he gets key points vs. Wake Forest[/h][FONT=&quot]By Don Markus
Baltimore Sun

February 24, 1991
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]COLLEGE PARK — COLLEGE PARK -- How's this for a script: Maryland is down 10 points to Wake Forest early in the second half, four when Walt Williams makes his first appearance after missing six weeks with a broken leg. Coming in to a prolonged standing ovation, the junior point guard hits his first shot, an over-the-head layup to tie the score.
Not bad, but there's more: Williams makes two more acrobatic shots, including a crucial three-pointer, bringing down the house and the Deamon Deacons. As Cole Field House rocks, the Terrapins roll to an 86-78 victory, cooling off the Atlantic Coast Conference's hottest team and clinching a winning record.

Sound a little far-fetched? Certainly, but what happened to Maryland (15-11, 4-8) yesterday is only the latest happy twist in this hard-to-believe season. The Terps might not be going anywhere because of sanctions by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, but they have achieved far more than anyone could have predicted.

[/FONT]

"It's a big thrill for me personally," said Maryland coach Gary Williams, a strong candidate for ACC Coach of the Year. "I think a lot of this team. Sometimes we don't know where the points are going to come from, but we seem to be able to get them. It takes a lot of heart to do what they've done. I've never had a team work harder."

Back