• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

I’ll take 5 minutes where he takes a shot and gets a rebound in his first game. Anything more than that is gravy.

Expect a slow go at first. Damari needs to get into game shape and he will have to adjust to ACC level play. If he can provide scoring off the bench he will be a bonus. An added bonus will be rebounding at under 4 minutes per rebound. That is better than anyone on the team.

Minutes may be limited by his defense. That's the skill putting the most stress on the achilles. Everyone in the eight man rotation is contributing on D, individually and as a unit. Forbes won't allow a weak link to a impact its continued development.

Imagine a big lineup of Williams, Monsanto, Mucius, Laravia and Walton/Sy. Don't be surprised to see it by tournament time.

Last edited:
how old are you? age can make a huge difference

I’m in my mid 40’s and need to lose 25 lbs. Age makes a huge difference. When I watch younger guys at rehab you quickly figure that out. There’s no fear about retearing the tendon. If you done the rehab and it’s 6 months out that would be a freak thing. it’s all about strength and explosiveness. That takes a longer time. Basketball players can probably play at six months but getting the spring back takes time. It took a year before KD looked like himself.

I’m in my mid 40’s and need to lose 25 lbs. Age makes a huge difference. When I watch younger guys at rehab you quickly figure that out. There’s no fear about retearing the tendon. If you done the rehab and it’s 6 months out that would be a freak thing. it’s all about strength and explosiveness. That takes a longer time. Basketball players can probably play at six months but getting the spring back takes time. It took a year before KD looked like himself.

That describes me and a good number of the rest of us.

I played basketball constantly from about age 10 to about age 30. During that time I had regular problems with sprained ankles, broken ankles, torn ankle ligaments. My ankles were my weak point. So, I often had to stop playing for a couple of days, weeks, and even months. The longer the layoff, the more my timing would be off, especially for rebounding or defense. My shot would come back pretty quickly but my timing was a different story. I always had to suffer through a period when I felt out of sync on the floor. I just couldn't find the groove. Playing did not feel quite right.

In any event, I hope Monsanto is OK and that he can find his groove and timing as quickly as possible and help the team.

I imagine it'll take a month before we are relying on Damari for more than just a few spot minutes. As mentioned above, getting back in game shape is one thing. Jumping up a league from SoCon to ACC, and trying to catch up mid way through the season is a tall task.

Would love if mid-Feb he's hitting his stride and can be a difference maker for both tournaments.

He had a four game stretch last year where KP has him as the game MVP in all 4. In those games he went:

Vs Furman: 168 ORTG, 22 pts, 6-8 3PT, 8 rebs
Vs The Citadel: 168 ORTG, 20 pts, 2-5 3PT, 13 rebs
Vs Wofford: 161 ORTG, 24 pts, 6-9 3PT, 8 rebs
Vs Mercer: 159 ORTG, 24 pts, 4-8 3PT, 10 rebs

He had a game earlier in the year where he hit 6-10 threes vs Alabama. His turnover rate is extremely good, and his defensive rebound % was 62nd best in the nation.

Certainly it will take him a while to get back into form, but goddamn, if we can get close to that level of production from him then it’s a game changer and we would be a legit problem in the ACC/NCAA tourneys.

Monsanto looked really good against Alabama ly.

Anyone have an update on freshman Taylor? He was quite a scorer in high school.

If nothing else, having Williamson back and adding Monsanto should mean that Mucius isn't firing 10+ 3 point attempts per game anymore... Which is a good thing.

I think if you spread those wide open looks around to Mucius, Williamson, and Monsanto, you've got 3 guys that can shoot nearly 40% from 3. That's huge on a team with Williams, LaRavia, and Whitt who all pass the ball very well.

But I also realize that the offense hasn't really been an issue so far. It's the defense... And hopefully adding another body to the rotation helps that, as well.

Mucius is shooting 38.1% from 3 this season. He's 40.4% from 3 in ACC play.

Have been notably wrong a lot lately about the 2021-2 Deacs (although I did expect major improvement and laid the max on the WF "over" 7.5 conference wins) and may be you can add this take to the "loud wrong" list, but I will be pleasantly surprised if Monsanto shoots as a high percentage from 3 as Mucius

Monsanto will be very good in the long run, but he is coming off a major injury, and while I love the SoCon, Monsanto's numbers last year came primarily against SoCon teams or worse (granted Monsanto had a big game against Bama last year) -- inferior competition. As an example, Jalen Johnson who was an "OK" player for the Deacs last year shooting 32% from 3; this year in the SoCon for Mercer, Johnson is shooting a ridiculous 47% from 3; 57% in conference games. In other words, take SoCon numbers with a grain of salt when a player head to a Power V.

Think any expectation that Monsanto will be a stronger three point threat than Mucius for the rest of the season is a step too far.

Have been notably wrong a lot lately about the 2021-2 Deacs (although I did expect major improvement and laid the max on the WF "over" 7.5 conference wins) and may be you can add this take to the "loud wrong" list, but I will be pleasantly surprised if Monsanto shoots as a high percentage from 3 as Mucius

Monsanto will be very good in the long run, but he is coming off a major injury, and while I love the SoCon, Monsanto's numbers last year came primarily against SoCon teams or worse (granted Monsanto had a big game against Bama last year) -- inferior competition. As an example, Jalen Johnson who was an "OK" player for the Deacs last year shooting 32% from 3; this year in the SoCon for Mercer, Johnson is shooting a ridiculous 47% from 3; 57% in conference games. In other words, take SoCon numbers with a grain of salt when a player head to a Power V.

Think any expectation that Monsanto will be a stronger three point threat than Mucius for the rest of the season is a step too far.

Quoted for Twitter.

I am hoping for 10 mins off the bench, and knock down an occasional 3. Anything more would be massive. Difficult for me to expect more coming off a major injury and never played an ACC game.

i agree with the overall point (can see a similar trend with isaiah wilkins at longwood), but i think a lot of that has to do with shot selection. (i.e. it's likely those guys moving down are getting much easier shots). with monsanto, sounds like his rep is that he's a great shooter who probably was too aggressive with his shot selection last year. believe forbes quote was something along the lines of "never met a shot he didn't like." so certainly plausible his 3-pt percentage could go up, not unlike our friend phlandrous fleming at florida: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278688/phlandrous-fleming-jr

anyway, just getting a guy who can space the floor and make some shots is gonna be impactful. also something i hadn't thought about at all, but ian dubose would have been an amazing addition to this team.

Last edited:
Jonah Antonio would absolutely feast on feeds from Manman.

Mucius is shooting 38.1% from 3 this season. He's 40.4% from 3 in ACC play.

I’m aware. That was my point. You don’t want one guy shooting 14 3s a game (unless maybe he’s the only threat). Mucius is better when he’s open and not forcing 3s. Not having Williamson for two games meant more Mucius shooting at a lower %… 3-9 against FSU & 4-14 against Syracuse (7-23 is 30.4%).

Williamson, Mucius, and Monsanto all shooting open looks should have the team’s 3pt % better than last in the ACC. That’s right, we are last in the ACC in 3pt % right now at ~29%.

Mostly agree. Not so worried about exact percentage for everyone. Just happy to add another shooter and think it will make a difference.

Counterpoint would be that Williamson has been at roughly the same 3pt % all 4 years of college hoops (ETSU and WFU).

I would actually expect shooting % (on open looks) to translate pretty well.

Back