• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

I’m aware. That was my point. You don’t want one guy shooting 14 3s a game (unless maybe he’s the only threat). Mucius is better when he’s open and not forcing 3s. Not having Williamson for two games meant more Mucius shooting at a lower %… 3-9 against FSU & 4-14 against Syracuse (7-23 is 30.4%).

Williamson, Mucius, and Monsanto all shooting open looks should have the team’s 3pt % better than last in the ACC. That’s right, we are last in the ACC in 3pt % right now at ~29%.

WF is DFL in the ACC in 3 PT% in conference games, but that is not on Mucius (40% from 3 in ACC games) or Williamson (38% in ACC games). It's on:

-LaRavia: 22%
- Williams: 29%
- Walton 18%
- Hildreth (0 for 9)
- Whitt (0 for 8)

WF is DFL in the ACC in 3 PT% in conference games, but that is not on Mucius (40% from 3 in ACC games) or Williamson (38% in ACC games). It's on:

- Walton 18%
- Hildreth (0 for 9)
- Whitt (0 for 8)

So give Monsanto attempts from that group and $$$profit$$$

- Walton 18%
- Hildreth (0 for 9)
- Whitt (0 for 8)

All the videos I saw of Hildreth before arriving @ Wake were of him driving the court and finishing at the rim. I'd much rather see him stop with the 3s and just do that. An occasional 3 is fine, but when you're 0/8 or 0/9 ... just stop.

- Walton 18%
- Hildreth (0 for 9)
- Whitt (0 for 8)

I really don't mind Whitt jacking up a few because I do think he is a decent shooter (lacking a little confidence). Hildreth's form is a little unorthodox so not sure he should be taking any. He has great energy and driving to the basket is his game. Really do love Walton but wouldn't lose sleep if he did not take another 3. Williams, LaRavia, Williamson, Sy and of course Mucius need to continue to shoot it if open.

I really don't mind Whitt jacking up a few because I do think he is a decent shooter (lacking a little confidence). Hildreth's form is a little unorthodox so not sure he should be taking any. He has great energy and driving to the basket is his game. Really do love Walton but wouldn't lose sleep if he did not take another 3. Williams, LaRavia, Williamson, Sy and of course Mucius need to continue to shoot it if open.

On second thought our 2pt percentage is so good maybe just Williamson and Mucius (and Monsanto) take almost all of the 3's.

Monsanto being a good low volume 3PT shooter may be the biggest boost the team could possibly have right now.

regarding Monsanto's step up in competition, I suppose it's good news that the ACC is a low-end Power Conference now.

seriously though, last year's SoCon was roughly equivalent to the MVC if you remove Loyola from the MVC, and Jake has adapted just fine.

GT, NCSU, Pitt, BC...those teams would lose a fair number of games in the SoCon.

All that to say I am more concerned about returning from an Achilles injury than stepping up from the SoCon.

He should play 15-20 mins against UNC if he’s up for it. He’s a force on both ends and a matchup issue.

Was also pleasantly surprised with the minutes he got. Glad he felt good enough to be on the court that long. Definitely looks to be a good asset as well. Very exciting.

Returning in less than a year with an Achilles tear is impressive. Just hope he doesn't do too much, too soon.

He must have been practicing for quite awhile, no? He looked like he belonged from his first minute in the game.

He reminds me of the Suns' Cam Johnson (and no, we don't need to think about where they drafted him from): super silky jumper, moves well, good enough height to get boards and contest shots. Underselling him a bit as a 3-and-D type (think Monsanto profiles as more than that at the college level), but that was the first impression.

That jumper is wet.

Dude had 6 pts, 8 reb, 2 blk on 2-5 3-point in only 12 minutes on the road at Tech. One of the best debuts I remember.

Back