• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Let's talk about the return of Damari Monsanto

He reminds me of the Suns' Cam Johnson (and no, we don't need to think about where they drafted him from): super silky jumper, moves well, good enough height to get boards and contest shots. Underselling him a bit as a 3-and-D type (think Monsanto profiles as more than that at the college level), but that was the first impression.

That jumper is wet.

Can’t say enough in how he boosts the depth of this team and really improves it greatly as he is a beast rebounding, on D and shooting the 3. We have 4 to rotate in front court with Sy, Walton, Jake, and Mucius with Davien, Whitt, and Cam in backcourt and Alondes rotating where needed. Clearly frontcourt has some great talent, but guard was often hurting as Whitt and Cam have been very inconsistent and when Williamson was out it felt like a very weak team in backcourt. I think Monsanto quickly becomes the 2nd guard behind Davien to get in with what he showed tonight and allows for bigger stronger lineup rotating MAnman to the 3 more.

The series where he hit a three, went down and helped on a high hedge and then got up for a board was awesome. He’s got a real nose for the board, seems to catch weird bounces in the right places, that’s an awesome instinct. Love his stroke. Let’s see what he can do against a decent team.

I’m going to see Monsanto beat the goats on Saturday night.

I’m going with 8 threes against the holes for him, conservatively. If we limit TOs, it’d be nice if he went 12-15 from three or something like that.

wow...so much more than I expected. Great job.

Who needs a new Pilch when we've got the old one.

Have been notably wrong a lot lately about the 2021-2 Deacs (although I did expect major improvement and laid the max on the WF "over" 7.5 conference wins) and may be you can add this take to the "loud wrong" list, but I will be pleasantly surprised if Monsanto shoots as a high percentage from 3 as Mucius

Monsanto will be very good in the long run, but he is coming off a major injury, and while I love the SoCon, Monsanto's numbers last year came primarily against SoCon teams or worse (granted Monsanto had a big game against Bama last year) -- inferior competition. As an example, Jalen Johnson who was an "OK" player for the Deacs last year shooting 32% from 3; this year in the SoCon for Mercer, Johnson is shooting a ridiculous 47% from 3; 57% in conference games. In other words, take SoCon numbers with a grain of salt when a player head to a Power V.

Think any expectation that Monsanto will be a stronger three point threat than Mucius for the rest of the season is a step too far.

Monsanto sure looked good to me. Led the team in rebounds. Analytics suggest he was the second best defender (Walton first) on the team tonight. His shot looked good. We'll find out more on Saturday.

Which analytics?

Listened to Stan and the Dinger last night.

This team ain't bad when they cut down on the turnovers.

Pretty amazing considering in what shape this program has been.

With some trepidation, I'm in.

I was really thinking that some were pilching their expectations of monsanto this year.

If he progresses this last half of season like I think he will, this team can go from 1 and done to deep into the tourney....16 or 8....Go Deacs!

Could not be more thrilled with Monsanto. Knew he could shoot, but his defense was solid and his rebounding was superior. Also, rather than look out of shape, Monsanto looked like he had lost weight, and never seemed gassed.

Love Forbes as a coach, but WF's success this season is not just about a coach getting the most out of his players. This team has talent. NCAA Tourney level talent, maybe even, with the right draw, Sweet 16 talent. Other than TOs, this team doesn't have many weaknesses. WF's improvement was expected, but in the past 5 days, WF won at UVA for the first time in a decade, and won at GT for the first time since Chris Paul played at WF. Those aren't just random results, we are good again... Finally.

The thing that stood out to me the most from last night was that adding Monsanto meant there were a number of additional lineup possibilities.

Need to bust a zone? Get Whitt out there with 3 shooters (Mucius, Williamson, Monsanto)
Need to go big? Williams, Monsanto, Mucius, LaRavia, Walton

Before last night, I would have said we can never sit Williams and LaRavia at the same time and still expect to score... But with Monsanto in the rotation (and some actual PG play from Whitt), there are lineups that can be used for a few minutes at a time that won't instantly kill our scoring potential.

I feel like Whitt might be competing for the all time worst shooting percentage in ACC history over a certain amount of attempts.

Back