• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 18: @ UVA - Bally Sports - 4:30 pm Saturday

Three. Two at Pitt (2018 and 2020) and one at ND (2019).

ACC road wins with KenPom rank

2011: None
2012: #261 BC
2013: None (despite playing five(!) sub-100 teams on the road)
2014: #174 VPI
2015: None
2016: None
2017: #109 NCSU, #173 BC, #50 VPI(!)
2018: #227 Pitt
2019: #97 ND(!)
2020: #111 Pitt
2021: #148 BC
2022: #31 VPI, #77 UVA

This year, we've already notched our best and third-best conference road wins of the last twelve years in mid-January.

What the hell has Forbes been doing over the past week. Team looks like shit again. Virginia has very few ACC level players and struggles to score. No today. Wide open shots and out hustling Wake to the loose balls. This shit is hard to watch. No excuse today. Virginia does not have more talent than Wake.

What a turd this guy is.

Nice to see a team with talent, willing to play tenacious defense, and a high BB IQ. Or maybe in is just good coaching.

Random thoughts:

Wore my YBs. Will have to continue that in case they’re lucky.

The wide open 3 UVA missed from the corner up 47-40 may have been a dagger if it fell. Glad it didn’t.

Of course Franklin gets hot from 3 against us.

Williamson played better. Was a factor on offense, which is huge for us. Adding Monsanto back to the rotation will be a huge help for bench production.

Walton played very well. Especially on defense. Rim protector.

Williams way too loose with his dribble. Scares me every time. But doubling him is dumb.

Good to see McCray out on the court for a while.

Some weird lineups in this one, but it worked out.

Great win. Let’s get one in Atlanta next.

The wide open 3 UVA missed from the corner up 47-40 may have been a dagger if it fell. Glad it didn’t.

Just rewatched the last eight minutes, starting right about at this point in the game. You're exactly right, this was a HUGE moment. They miss the corner three to go ahead double digits, we drive down and hit a three to inaugurate a 13-0 run. UVA doesn't score again until the 3:38 mark.

A GGTT win.

Deacons finish the final 10:23 of the game with a 23-8 run for an eight point win. That is when the Deacs held the Cavs to 4-17 from the field and caused 4 turnovers. Good offense, outstanding defense and max effort got the job done when it counted.

LOL at some of the comments on this thread.

Williams made some huge plays down the stretch (Mucius as well). But Williams has to stop wasting possessions with terrible passes. It will cost games sooner or later.

Winning a game with defense is a comment more frequently associated with Tony Bennett's UVA teams.

As Forbes said, defense travels.

A GGTT win.

Deacons finish the final 10:23 of the game with a 23-8 run for an eight point win. That is when the Deacs held the Cavs to 4-17 from the field and caused 4 turnovers. Good offense, outstanding defense and max effort got the job done when it counted.

LOL at some of the comments on this thread.

Defense definitely travels. I was so frustrated watching football this year. Yeah it was an awesome season but hard to watch our team at times because of our dismal defense. It seems to me basketball defense can be improved greatly with good coaching, commitment, and effort as opposed to football where the problem is a bit harder to fix (namely lack of talent). I admit I haven't followed basketball like I used to (thanks, Ron--fuck Bally) but I'm rewatching this morning on ACCN+ and enjoying the game. Maybe I'll get season tix again next year. So much easier to watch a well-coached team that can score AND works on defense.

Hiring Forbes was such a saving grace.

Fucking great hire.

Just rewatched the last eight minutes, starting right about at this point in the game. You're exactly right, this was a HUGE moment. They miss the corner three to go ahead double digits, we drive down and hit a three to inaugurate a 13-0 run. UVA doesn't score again until the 3:38 mark.

Yes, that was big. And I was complaining to my UVA buddy about how well UVA was shooting from deep - a rarity, although they were also missing a bunch of chippies in the lane. My UVA buddy couldn't believe Williams was averaging 20 ppg for the 1st 30:00. He was a sleepwalking TO machine until he really turned it on late. Man we needed that. And we were both really impressed with LaRavia's overall game. And Williamson may not be the greatest PG ever, but he really had a solid game against 2 very good on ball defenders - 0 TOs. Also solid games from Walton, Mucius and Sy.

A few other things we noticed. Our bench outside of Sy is thin. Inserting Hildreth alone for 3:00 led to something like an 8-0 run. We also didn't realize Stattman is a defensive liability and didn't start attacking him till the 2nd half - and we let him have a career high in points (I hate him and want him deported more than any other UVA player ever, even Sheehey). We also had trouble against the double teams down low. That said, I haven't seen a guttier effort down the stretch and a better defensive effort (held them to 36%) out of a Wake team in well over a decade - not since Dino. It wasn't a full house, but JPJ was rocking when they got up by 7 late, and we came back against a tough UVA defensive effort in the last 7-8 minutes. Very good road win in a tough building.

Going down 7 late in the second half sent me into panic mode. It is really tough to come back on a slow down team like UVA, but we turned it on.
So happy to win on the road against the Hoos.

Cam is all over Twitter dying on the hill that we aren't a good team. He said we'd win 14 or 15 games preseason, and I'm thinking the dude struggles with taking an L.

He has great football insights, but holy shit is he sounding dumb around our hoops team.

Cam lost me when he was drunk tweeting about Hartman. He’s not a plus for the other site.

Calling @DeaconSports (probably the wake fan account with the biggest following?) a “softie” for blocking his negativity was not a good look either

Yeah...And the fact he's defended our defense and blamed our offense for 2 of the historically best offensive seasons in our history. Weird fella.

Back