• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 18: @ UVA - Bally Sports - 4:30 pm Saturday

Dante Calabria is probably my favorite Heel ever.

Wasn't Dante the hole that sent the game to OT on the missed FT, in the 94 semi's which may have kept us from winning 3 ACCT Championships in a row?

My memory about Dante Calabria from the game SC Deac is referring to is this:

Wake had a lead, up 3 I think, with less than 3 minutes to play, Carolina with possession. Wake got a steal and a pass to Scooter Banks going for a layup, with Dante Calabria defending. As Scooter went up for the layup, Calabria grabbed the belt of Scooter’s trunks, and pulled them all the way down to his crotch. Only a long jersey tucked low saved Scooter’s modesty. Scooter missed the layup, the ref standing on the baseline, swallowed his whistle, a fast break going back the other way resulted in a Sam Perkins 3 pointer, and the rest is as they say, history. I know nothing about Calabria’s character outside watching the games...he may be a great guy…but for me I’ll always think of him as a sneaky cheat colluding with biased refs. By the way, I had taped that game, and reviewed that play over and over. It happened the way I described, but I don’t remember it ever being mentioned in a sports write up. I’d love for SC Deac, or anyone else, to confirm what I remember.

Yea its baffling to me about Cam, ive never seen a guy bash the teams he covers more than him. also anyone who disagrees with his takes is pretty much an idiot. he better be careful or 247 will lose some subscribers.

My memory about Dante Calabria from the game SC Deac is referring to is this:

Wake had a lead, up 3 I think, with less than 3 minutes to play, Carolina with possession. Wake got a steal and a pass to Scooter Banks going for a layup, with Dante Calabria defending. As Scooter went up for the layup, Calabria grabbed the belt of Scooter’s trunks, and pulled them all the way down to his crotch. Only a long jersey tucked low saved Scooter’s modesty. Scooter missed the layup, the ref standing on the baseline, swallowed his whistle, a fast break going back the other way resulted in a Sam Perkins 3 pointer, and the rest is as they say, history. I know nothing about Calabria’s character outside watching the games...he may be a great guy…but for me I’ll always think of him as a sneaky cheat colluding with biased refs. By the way, I had taped that game, and reviewed that play over and over. It happened the way I described, but I don’t remember it ever being mentioned in a sports write up. I’d love for SC Deac, or anyone else, to confirm what I remember.

Calabria and Perkins never played together. Calabria was on the team, Perkins was not.

Wasn't Dante the hole that sent the game to OT on the missed FT, in the 94 semi's which may have kept us from winning 3 ACCT Championships in a row?

I imagine Les is on it. He checks posts over here. He's probably going to ask him to tone it down bit, at least for the time being.

Calabria played for Carolina in the early 90s. In my memory he's always harmless because we won two ACC championships while he was at UNC. I do have very explicit childhood memories of him doing the Mucius dive-and-chuck-ball-at-opponents'-legs thing.

As a child, I thought his sideburns were badass because I'd never seen sideburns before

? I assume you mean Les and not Miles Lester. I don’t see him saying anything.

I mean Les Jon’s. I call him Lester because he’s Hyper sensitive and it probably offends him. My apologies to Miles Lester for the association.

I imagine Les is on it. He checks posts over here. He's probably going to ask him to tone it down bit, at least for the time being.

Exactly. Lester Jons trolls this place. That’s why he’s trying to take 3rd rate Cam into the spin zone with his latest tweets.

Les is associating with an arrogant and incompetent tool. Now hes putting lipstick on him and telling us otherwise. Learned it from Ron Wellman I suppose.

Calabria and Perkins never played together. Calabria was on the team, Perkins was not.

Yes, you're right about Perkins, but the game I "remember," it was a big man shooting the 3, maybe Wallace? The pull the pants down play was definitely Scooter and Calabria.

Calabria played for Carolina in the early 90s. In my memory he's always harmless because we won two ACC championships while he was at UNC. I do have very explicit childhood memories of him doing the Mucius dive-and-chuck-ball-at-opponents'-legs thing.

As a child, I thought his sideburns were badass because I'd never seen sideburns before

Dude had some amazing chest hair. I think when I was in middle school like half the girls I went to school with had a Dante Calabria poster in their room as well.

Dude had some amazing chest hair. I think when I was in middle school like half the girls I went to school with had a Dante Calabria poster in their room as well.

Been a lot of hot dude talk on the boards the last couple hours. I guess that's what happens when awaken leaves us neanderthals to fend for ourselves.

He’s posting maps of US led coups in South America now.

There is no such thing as a favorite heel. They all suck.

because I'm can't help myself I went back and watched the UNC/ Wake game in question on youtube. It was actually 1994- Duncan's Freshmen year and UNC ended up winning the national championship that year. Duke was the number one seed but had been upset by Virginia earlier in the day so the winner of the Wake/UNC matchup would be favored in the final. Wake played tough all long and Childress was his usual badass self and scored 31 with 9 assists. The play that was mentioned earlier involving Scooter Banks and Calabria went like this. 3:30 left in the game, Wake up by 6 and gets a fast break with Scooter Banks. Calabria has no play and just grabs Bank's shorts and pulls on them and Banks misses layup as a result. UNC grabs rebound and immediately hits a 3 pointer. So what should have been a 8 point lead instead was just 3. teams trade baskets and there is an awful out of bounds call that goes in UNC's favor that was just ridiculous. Finally, 16 seconds left with Wake up 3 , UNC has the ball. Odom decides to foul right away which seems curious to me but whatever. Derrick Phelps hits first to cut lead to 2, then misses second and ball bounces around and ends up in Calabria's hands with about 6 seconds left and he takes it to the rim. Duncan is about to block his shot shot so Calabria just kind of double clutches and scoops it from his hip and it somehow goes it to tie the game. Childress gets inbound with about 3 seconds left and gets a good look for a 3 pointer that looks perfect but rims out. Overtime. UNC goes ahead early and refs make a horrible no call foul where Montross bodies up Blucas and hurts him but no call. Larue comes in for Blucas. UNC misses layup and Vitale and Dan Patrick scream for a foul to be called. Wake down 3 with 30 seconds left and Larue is open for a three and hits it. Tied up with 25 seconds left. UNC runs down clock and then runs a nice little screen down low to free Stackhouse and he scores with three seconds left. Childress gets inbound and races to the exact same spot that he missed from at end of regulation, goes up for a good look and ...it rims out again. Game over. UNC wins tourney the next day and goes on to win national championship.
I seethe with hatred like a red hot sun as I walk out of the Charlotte Coliseum and see jubilant Tarhole fans. It was the worst loss I've ever seen in person.

Rusty was my favorite player as a kid. I'm sad about what the bzz years did to his reputation

Yeah, I didn’t think we were a good team when we were down 7. Funny what a 13-0 run can do for your perspective

Of course, I try not to rage post in game threads either…

+1. Yeah, I'm sitting here when we were down 47-40 that maybe we are not as good as I thought we were. And then, bam! We play lock-down defense, rebound like there's no tomorrow, and make big shots one after another. And all on the road against a pretty tough team. So, then, I'm thinking, Hey, maybe we really have something here. The adrenalin-pumping ups and downs that we all love about Wake hoops.

Coach deserves a lot of credit.

I love how Nick Nurse knows enough about our team to give Forbes advice on what we should be doing. It's even more amusing that Forbes summarily dismissed the idea.

edit: @3:30 or so in the video

Running a pick-and-roll all game is a bad idea for a whole series of reasons. Just to name one: it would undermine the basic concept of the motion offense. A central idea of the motion offense is to get everyone involved and to get each player in the proper position to make the shot that he is best able to shoot. The idea is not predictably to keep running the same play with just two guys.

Back