• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

As a 70's alum who sat thru 4 years of absolute football futility with literally the highlight being watching All-American Chuck Ramsey's punts (the largest cheers the whole afternoon were usually for his punts during warm-ups; not many stayed around after halftime to watch his other kicks),and who also witnessed some pretty decent Wake basketball during that period, this statement is still a bit jarring though 100% accurate.

I was a kid when Bones was coach. Football was an afterthought. Having Clawson, Forbes and Currie in charge gives hope that the programs are finally turning the corner.

lewisville and all its baggage is a step down from Wake.

Forbes has us back in the hunt and is here to stay. :thumbsup:

Plus they play in a gym that seats over 22,000. How could you win in a place like that?

Steve Forbes and Jonas Hayes are the two names that the Georgia fanbase keep floating as Crean's replacement.

Wake is lucky that the Joel can totally compete with Stegeman, which should absolutely be imploded and replaced. Georgia's AD is young and pretty new on the job, but very popular and in a very strong position right now. Firing Crean will send his popularity through the roof. If he's able to get away with firing him for cause, which seems specious, they might as well build him a statue.

Steve Forbes and Jonas Hayes are the two names that the Georgia fanbase keep floating as Crean's replacement.

Wake is lucky that the Joel can totally compete with Stegeman, which should absolutely be imploded and replaced. Georgia's AD is young and pretty new on the job, but very popular and in a very strong position right now. Firing Crean will send his popularity through the roof. If he's able to get away with firing him for cause, which seems specious, they might as well build him a statue.

What has he allegedly done that would allow this?

Has uga ever been good in hoops? Can't see why anyone on the rise would want that dumpster fire

Has uga ever been good in hoops? Can't see why anyone on the rise would want that dumpster fire

Well, they've been to the Final Four in the past 40 years, so they have that going for them.

I don't know any details but two assistant coaches got into an altercation and Crean didn't report it to the administration, or something like that.

I’m sure not going to say that Forbes will never leave Wake, but When and if he does,a school will have to offer a lot more than big money. He took the ETSU job before he was ever quoted a salary.

I am really ready for Wake to find that basketball coach who loves and identifies with Wake and stays and stays and stays (a la K or Dean). I hope we have him.

Well, they've been to the Final Four in the past 40 years, so they have that going for them.

If that's your metric for a decent program, then I guess they got us
They suck. And always have during my lifetime. Bunch of retread old ass coaches that have sucked there

If that's your metric for a decent program, then I guess they got us
They suck. And always have during my lifetime. Bunch of retread old ass coaches that have sucked there

I agree, and there was not much worse than losing to them during our suckitude years. (OK, there was worse…)

I’m sure not going to say that Forbes will never leave Wake, but When and if he does,a school will have to offer a lot more than big money. He took the ETSU job before he was ever quoted a salary.

I am really ready for Wake to find that basketball coach who loves and identifies with Wake and stays and stays and stays (a la K or Dean). I hope we have him.

Agreed. I think we do. I feel like the next step Wake needs to take is what we've all discussed here so much.....The Joel.

Agreed. I think we do. I feel like the next step Wake needs to take is what we've all discussed here so much.....The Joel.

Given his first 24 months on the job impressive performance, I'm confident that our, now competent, AD is working on something.

Wasn't Wilkins down to Wake and UGA? I seem to recall he was really good friends with someone on the Wake team.

Alvis Rogers was a year ahead of him at Washington HS and teammates. We thought he had Wilkins all but signed - IIRC, UGA babysat him in a hotel the night before signing day to keep us from contacting him.

Wasn't Wilkins down to Wake and UGA? I seem to recall he was really good friends with someone on the Wake team.

Friend and teammate of Wake's Alvis Rogers.

Allegedly told Alvis he would like to come to Wake but couldn't afford to turn down the UGA bucks.

College football and basketball have gotten to a weird place where you don’t get fired for cause if you suck at your job, i.e. you lose all the time. So they have to manufacture something about you not reporting something to HR. It’s a pretty weird state of the law if you think about it.

Back