• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Stephen A and Kendrick Perkins - basically think Gard should get something as well. He probably mis-read Howards level of how pissed off Howard was.

People are saying heat of the moment. Remember this game was long over. It wasn't a battle to the final second.

One good comment was, just coach your team. If Juan want's to press down double digits against walkons in the last minute, ok (no one at the pressor had the guts to ask him that, 'Juan why was it necessary to be pressing when the game was over and the walkons were in for Wisc, the reporters probably didn't want to get punched). If Gard wants to call a TO because he's being pressed and it resets the shot clock, fine.

The fact that Juan was not smart enough to express some contrition in the pressor, will work against him as well. It was mostly 'here is why I took a swipe at a guy' instead of 'I shouldn't have done that'.

Mich has no choice but to suspend him. Going further I doubt it would be a national issue if they keep him.

Rules for thee, not for me

https://i.redd.it/jy20gczrl2j81.jpg

jy20gczrl2j81.jpg

Second one more relevant. Michigan was losing at the end of the first one.

Good points. Has a college basketball coach physically hit another player or coach in recent years? The only things I can think of are Bob Knight choking a player and Chaney saying he was going to kill Calipari and having to be restrained.

Can you blame Cheney for that, though? I mean who hasn't wanted to go after Calipari over the years?

Stephen A and Kendrick Perkins - basically think Gard should get something as well. He probably mis-read Howards level of how pissed off Howard was.

People are saying heat of the moment. Remember this game was long over. It wasn't a battle to the final second.

One good comment was, just coach your team. If Juan want's to press down double digits against walkons in the last minute, ok (no one at the pressor had the guts to ask him that, 'Juan why was it necessary to be pressing when the game was over and the walkons were in for Wisc, the reporters probably didn't want to get punched). If Gard wants to call a TO because he's being pressed and it resets the shot clock, fine.

The fact that Juan was not smart enough to express some contrition in the pressor, will work against him as well. It was mostly 'here is why I took a swipe at a guy' instead of 'I shouldn't have done that'.

Mich has no choice but to suspend him. Going further I doubt it would be a national issue if they keep him.

I don't think this is true as I saw a clip yesterday that had Howard being asked just that in the post-game press conf. His response...and I paraphrase...was incredibly lame: "We were not pressing. We were running our "five" defense, which is man pressure. It was not a press."

Second one more relevant. Michigan was losing at the end of the first one.

sure but if his issue is with drawing the game out unnecessarily, then they're both relevant. not often (ever?) you see a 14 point comeback in 35 seconds

Has a coach of a P5 football or bball team ever hit someone from other team without being fired? Woody Hayes is only hitter I can think of but any others that whacked someone without being fired?

I like this take:

"..."I didn't like the timeout they called. … I thought it was not necessary at that moment, especially with it being a large lead," Howard said afterward.

You know what else wasn't necessary at that moment? Michigan's players trying to turnover Wisconsin's backups in the final seconds of a 15-point game. So the unnecessary stuff started with Michigan, which is why Howard's anger was misplaced and frankly silly. If you want the game to end with no more timeouts called, back up and let the clock run out. But the moment Howard instructed his players to keep competing is the moment it became reasonable for Gard to do whatever he wanted to help his players succeed, and that's what he did when he called that timeout."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ated-by-juwan-howard-could-have-been-avoided/

I heard audio earlier this afternoon from a reporter who asked him about pressing. I think it was on 92.9 the Game in Atlanta. Juan said they weren't pressing. They were playing 5 man to man.

I heard audio earlier this afternoon from a reporter who asked him about pressing. I think it was on 92.9 the Game in Atlanta. Juan said they weren't pressing. They were playing 5 man to man.

Actually pretty sure Juwan said 5 man pressure, so a matter of semantics as maybe not an actual press but definite pressure albeit man to man vs any doubling or zone press. So that holds no water.

Again the comments about who started it are asinine and true lack of leadership by voices that should not have one. There have been lots of heated chatter, pointing, and angry tempers by many coaches which in itself is inexcusable, but there has to be a line for physical violence that cannot be allowed by coaches. Again I ask what other coach has ever struck someone from another team and not be fired. I can only remember woody Hayes, but maybe some others??

I believe Juwan needs to be fired. This is his second violent outburst (or threat of one) in the past 12 months. the first was a threat to kill an opposing coach - this time he struck one. What happens the next time he goes nuts?

Jamill Jones didn't think he was going to kill the guy he punched. If Juwan seriously injures someone, Michigan is going to be sued for mega $$ because they kept a loose cannon in their employment after knowledge of his violent nature towards opponents.

Wasn't Howard 2021 BIG and National COY??

Howard should be suspended. He shouldn't be fired.

Wasn't Howard 2021 BIG and National COY??

Indeed he was. Does that allow him to bitch slap an opposing assistant coach?

Michigan recently settled a $490 million sexual abuse scandal and fired their University President for an inappropriate relationship with a University employee. I would think Michigan's tolerance for misbehavior is wearing thin.

Indeed he was. Does that allow him to bitch slap an opposing assistant coach?

Michigan recently settled a $490 million sexual abuse scandal and fired their University President for an inappropriate relationship with a University employee. I would think Michigan's tolerance for misbehavior is wearing thin.

I was obviously wrong.

Juwon Howard acted like a little bitch from start to finish. First, he got his ass beat by 15. Then he pressed with 15 seconds left. Then he got upset when the other team reacted to the press with a timeout. Then he tried to do the passive aggressive not shaking hands in the line. Then when the other coach touched him, he completely over reacted with the "don't touch me" shit. Then the he swung at opposing coach....with a slap. A slap!!! Then he blamed everybody else in the press conference and took no blame himself. Seriously...every single thing he did was the opposite of leadership and maturity.

Juwon Howard acted like a little bitch from start to finish. First, he got his ass beat by 15. Then he pressed with 15 seconds left. Then he got upset when the other team reacted to the press with a timeout. Then he tried to do the passive aggressive not shaking hands in the line. Then when the other coach touched him, he completely over reacted with the "don't touch me" shit. Then the he swung at opposing coach....with a slap. A slap!!! Then he blamed everybody else in the press conference and took no blame himself. Seriously...every single thing he did was the opposite of leadership and maturity.

Nice summary. He needs to be shown the door. Can't be allowed from a head coach. That could have quickly become extremely dangerous and an all-out riot. Not to mention, didn't he threaten to kill another coach or, at least, do harm to someone last season?

Nice summary. He needs to be shown the door. Can't be allowed from a head coach. That could have quickly become extremely dangerous and an all-out riot. Not to mention, didn't he threaten to kill another coach or, at least, do harm to someone last season?

He went after Maryland's coach in last year's B1G Basketball Tournament. Howard got suspended for his efforts.

There is a link to the story some posts above.

Back