• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

He went after Maryland's coach in last year's B1G Basketball Tournament. Howard got suspended for his efforts.

There is a link to the story some posts above.

I'll go find it. Thanks. Further emphasizes he needs to go. Just can't be allowing that from a head coach.

I'll go find it. Thanks. Further emphasizes he needs to go. Just can't be allowing that from a head coach.

I posted it. So search my posts. I think it was in this thread, but it could have been in one of the other ones that include this topic.

Last edited:
Howard got a five game suspension from the Michigan AD for this altercation with the Wisconsin staff.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/basketball/2022/2/21/22943581/michigan-wolverines-basketball-juwan-howard-suspended-wisconsin-badgers-greg-gard

ETA: Two Michigan players got 1 game suspensions. Wisconsin player (and former Wake player) Jahcobi Neath also got a 1 game suspension.
I think this is the right call. Hopefully it’s a wake up call for Juwan. Being in a certain age group, the Fab Five always feels like a part of why I love college basketball. I’d like to see Juwan come out of this for the better.

He went after Maryland's coach in last year's B1G Basketball Tournament. Howard got suspended for his efforts.

There is a link to the story some posts above.

Maybe not:

"Last March at the Big Ten tournament, Howard and then-Maryland coach Mark Turgeon got into an incident that featured the two coaches shouting at each other and both teams eventually gathering near court. Howard had to be restrained in that incident and was subsequently ejected. He was not suspended for that incident."

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/20/juwan-howard-michigan-wisconsin-takes-swing-at-wisconsin-coach

Howard got a five game suspension from the Michigan AD for this altercation with the Wisconsin staff.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/basketball/2022/2/21/22943581/michigan-wolverines-basketball-juwan-howard-suspended-wisconsin-badgers-greg-gard

ETA: Two Michigan players got 1 game suspensions. Wisconsin player (and former Wake player) Jahcobi Neath also got a 1 game suspension.

The suspension will eventually be followed with a firing after missing the tournament again next year.

Except now they will have to pay him millions of dollars to go away instead of firing him with cause.

Well, there was the Maryland incident last year and the Wisconsin incident this year. At this rate, he's got another 13 months to continue to up the ante and make that just cause all the easier on them.

He didn't seem that angry as a player. Also, I watched Hoop Dreams the other night for the first time and it was weird just seeing highschool Juwan pop up.

I'm actually surprised a guy can go to work, be an asshole, punch someone and keep their job.

You are surprised that powerful people that make lots of money (and lots of money for other people) can get away bad behavior and even crimes?

I'm actually surprised a guy can go to work, be an asshole, punch someone and keep their job.

this is also the profession that has the employer pay them a huge amount of money if they fire them for sucking at their job

Maybe surprised is too strong. I'm not surprised that money talks just that this is so egregious that it did not seem like a question to me. Absolutely a fireable offense.

UMASS will fire coach Matt McCall. McCall got the job in 2017 after Pat Kelsey accepted the UMASS offer, and then backed-out of the job the next day (Kelsey is now the coach of Charleston). In 5 years, UMASS never advanced to any post-season tournament. UMASS has received one NCAA bid since 1999.

Maryland's big donors are targeting Pitino. Perfect fit: amoral coach and an amoral institution.

Apparently, Pitino's interest is lukewarm. He likes coaching at Iona, other schools where it may be easier to win may have interest, and apparently, MD's Under Armor connection is not helpful in basketball recruiting as the Nike and Adidas have the deepest roots in the AAU Circuit, and shoe/apparel affiliation can make a difference in hoop recruiting.

Oof. I know that feel, Georgetown. Then again, if Manning had somehow won the ACC Tournament, Wellman would have begged to sign him to an Irrevocable Perpetual Contract.

Feels like the Manning situation, except they won the Big East tourney and Ewing means so much to that fan base.

The similarity being that they are likely going to punt at least one entire season due to a terrible extension.

Back