• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Maybe Darth Thad back at Butler is the circle we need to close and time will roll back and we start at zero. Curse lifted. The true great reset the Deacs need.

Probably should let Julius Hodge punch CP in the nuts just to be safe.

Rumored Butler candidates:

Thad Matta (his name comes up a lot, but he is a former Butler coach, and lives in Bloomington)
Jeff Boals - Ohio U Coach (was an assistant under Matta at tOSU)
Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon Coach (had a nice run at Valpo; struggled at Vandy)

Matta it is.

Against reason, I hate Butler and I hate Matta. I really date the fall of Wake hoops in my lifetime to that damned Butler loss, more than the nut punch or Skip's death or even the [name redacted] hire. Nothing's felt right since then.

Matta is a Butler alum. He was just biding time for the job opening.... 5 years worth. :dumb:

I really wanted Matta for the wake opening two years ago before I was familiar with forbes. Will be interesting to see how he does at Butler.

I really wanted Matta for the wake opening two years ago before I was familiar with forbes. Will be interesting to see how he does at Butler.

Matta has a track record of being a good coach. The bug issue with him since he left tOSU has been his health. Is he physically capable of the work involved in recruiting and on- court player development? If he is, Butler should be a strong team soon. If not Butler's future success wil be dependent on the assistant coaches he brings in more than any other team in college basketball.

Matta has a track record of being a good coach. The bug issue with him since he left tOSU has been his health. Is he physically capable of the work involved in recruiting and on- court player development? If he is, Butler should be a strong team soon. If not Butler's future success wil be dependent on the assistant coaches he brings in more than any other team in college basketball.

What kind of health issues does he have? Or is that not public knowledge?

Yikes. I can see how that'd affect someone's ability to coach/recruit.

The articles I've read make it seem like Butler had to push Matta to take this job. As we've seen with other formerly successful coaches, you can't half-ass the job and still expect to win.

Definitely interested to see how it plays out. Glad we have Forbes.

Elon's Head Coach Mike Schrage resigns. To join Scheyer's staff.

Schrage has strong Duke ties dating back to his nine seasons in a support staff role under Mike Krzyzewski from 1999-2008. He started out as the Blue Devils' academic and recruiting coordinator before spending six seasons as the program's director of basketball operations.

Scheyer, Duke's new head coach following Krzyzewski's retirement, overlapped with Schrage during his playing career in Durham. Scheyer was there from 2006-10.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33678709/mike-schrage-resigns-elon-phoenix-men-basketball-coach-expected-join-duke-staff-per-sources

Back