• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I am very happy with Forbes, but I wanted Bruce Pearl here at Wake soo bad, and I believe we could have had him if Wellman and the BOT weren’t so squeaky clean

Yeah, pretty funny to mention Marsh as a possible NBA guy at this point but not mention the super skilled Laravia….

Mack and L'ville discussing separation agreement.

Louisville never should have been brought into the ACC. Bailed out their trash athletic department.

Louisville - the worst; shitty town.

You are honestly the first person I’ve ever seen who didn’t like the city of Louisville. From all my experience it’s a great city with a lot to enjoy. Athletics program can suck it, but otherwise

Please Lord I do not want Bruce Pearl at Louisville, he will dominate there

Why would Pearl leave a number one ranked SEC Auburn (where any recruiting funny business and lying about it will be tolerated) and go to unranked Louisville (down but not out)? Auburn will pay whatever it takes. Louisville has no chance at Pearl.

I’ve gone to see us play football at Louisville twice and I have had a hell of a good time both times. It’s a fun city.

Why would Pearl leave a number one ranked SEC Auburn (where any recruiting funny business and lying about it will be tolerated) and go to unranked Louisville (down but not out)? Auburn will pay whatever it takes. Louisville has no chance at Pearl.

Louisville is a basketball crazy school in a basketball crazy city in a basketball crazy state in the premiere college basketball conference. SEC money > ACC money, but otherwise Louisville is a much better job. Plus with Roy, K, and Boeheim retired, Pearl could potentially become top coach in the conference. The main concern if you are Pearl is whether or not the NCAA is going to finally hammer Louisville for their half dozen recruiting scandals under Pitino. They still haven’t been punished for the stripper scandal

Last edited:
Louisville is a basketball crazy school in a basketball crazy city in a basketball crazy state in the premiere college basketball conference. SEC money > ACC money, but otherwise Louisville is a much better job. Plus with Roy, K, and Boeheim retired, Pearl could potentially become top coach in the conference. The main concern if you are Pearl is whether or not the NCAA is going to finally hammer Louisville for their half dozen recruiting scandals under Pitino. They still haven’t been punished for the stripper scandal

SEC bball money is not > than ACC bball money. Heather Dinich keeps driving this point home but no one seems to be listening to her. All conference reported money does not include March Madness which the ACC has dominated by 100's of millions of dollars over other schools in recent history (it won't happen this year).

I’ve gone to see us play football at Louisville twice and I have had a hell of a good time both times. It’s a fun city.

It is a fun town with a boatload of cultural elements and entertainment venues. A lot of cool communities within it. Doesn’t mean it should be in the ACC, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

SEC bball money is not > than ACC bball money. Heather Dinich keeps driving this point home but no one seems to be listening to her. All conference reported money does not include March Madness which the ACC has dominated by 100's of millions of dollars over other schools in recent history (it won't happen this year).

As far as I am aware conference money from the ESPN contract is almost solely based on football, but that money helps pay for the entire athletics budget. I have never heard of revenue from football being reserved for football.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious that Duke's not using all that football money on football.

When he says SEC money, he means their total athletic budgets, which allows them to pay coaches a lot more than their similar (or more accomplished) ACC counterparts. Do you think Rick Barnes ($4.7 million) or Tony Bennett ($3.66 million) should be paid more? How about Buzz Williams ($3.9 million) or Jim Boeheim ($2.84 million)? In fact, on the list of the top-25 highest paid coaches in college basketball, I saw 3 ACC coaches (Coach K, Mack, and Bennett) and 7 SEC coaches (including Tom Crean!).

The SEC schools have more money to spend due to their media rights deals and Football-related revenue (i.e. ticket sales from 80,000-110,000 seat stadiums) than the ACC does at the moment.

Louisville can overcome that by promising a sold-out, 20,000 seat basketball arena with practice facilities and other amenities comparable to most NBA teams, with a rich basketball tradition (I'm sure it is not lost on Pearl that this past week is the first time ever that Auburn has been ranked #1 in the AP poll).

When he says SEC money, he means their total athletic budgets, which allows them to pay coaches a lot more than their similar (or more accomplished) ACC counterparts. Do you think Rick Barnes ($4.7 million) or Tony Bennett ($3.66 million) should be paid more? How about Buzz Williams ($3.9 million) or Jim Boeheim ($2.84 million)? In fact, on the list of the top-25 highest paid coaches in college basketball, I saw 3 ACC coaches (Coach K, Mack, and Bennett) and 7 SEC coaches (including Tom Crean!).

The SEC schools have more money to spend due to their media rights deals and Football-related revenue (i.e. ticket sales from 80,000-110,000 seat stadiums) than the ACC does at the moment.

Louisville can overcome that by promising a sold-out, 20,000 seat basketball arena with practice facilities and other amenities comparable to most NBA teams, with a rich basketball tradition (I'm sure it is not lost on Pearl that this past week is the first time ever that Auburn has been ranked #1 in the AP poll).

Auburn has amazing swimming facilities funded in part by football revenue. SEC football $ trickles down.

SI article says no chance Pearl ends up at UL and mentions Forbes as a potential candidate, FWIW:

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/26/chris-mack-out-louisville-basketball-future

Last edited:
Back