Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    Louisville is known for being gentlemanly
    Gentlemen's Club, amirite?

Gentleman’s agreement since State poached Tom O Brian, or is that the “lateral” exception
    Draxx them sklounst

Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    Gentleman’s agreement since State poached Tom O Brian, or is that the “lateral” exception
    That was pretty much an exceptional situation. BC was ready to fire him when he left so I'm sure they were happy to see him leave. Loss to Wake in 2006 contributed to his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Some of newcomers to the league may not recognize some of the unwritten rules.
    In Louisville's case, they ignore the written ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    If/when Fran McCaffrey leaves Iowa, that opening would concern me given Forbes often talks about his Iowa roots
    That job opening up scares me.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Agreed. I was thinking about that yesterday.

simple solution when that happens: we just hire former Wake Forest basketball player Fran McCaffrey

McCaffrey has been at Iowa 12 years, which is a hell of a long time. But he's won 20+ games there 7 of the last 9 years, and has them at 14-5 this year. So he's still producing for them. No idea when he'll end up leaving.

McCaffery was in trouble in 2018, but he's had solid years since then. That said, his act is wearing a little thin in Iowa. His NCAA tourney record is atrocious. In 5 NCAA tournaments, they have out performed their seed once, and that was winning a game as a 10 seed over a 7. Last year, Iowa was a 2 seed and a top 5 ranked program, and #7 seed Oregon trucked them by 15 in the second round. Also, McCaffrey has two kids playing for Iowa: one is a senior and one is a sophomore. Would think he will stay at least until he can't coach his kids anymore. McCaffrey will likely coach Iowa for two more seasons, after that he may want to leave or he may not have a choice if the Hawkeyes haven't won a few NCAA tourney games.

Well I'll be rooting for them.

Hopefully Forbes will discover he likes being 3.5 hours from the beach and 1.5 from the mountains. Can't get that in Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
    Hopefully Forbes will discover he likes being 3.5 hours from the beach and 1.5 from the mountains. Can't get that in Iowa.
    just about 3.5 hours to Chicago beaches it looks like!

In the BC radio postgame Forbes did call them "My Iowa Hawkeyes"

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDivingDeacon View Post
    UL is a trash institution and deserves the shitstorm they're in right now. If I were a good coach and decent human being, I'd not consider them seriously at all for a job opening.
    Agreed which is why I think Bruce Pearl would fit right in there. I hope Louisville burns to the damn ground along with Duke Basketball. Fuck em.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSokolove View Post
    In the BC radio postgame Forbes did call them "My Iowa Hawkeyes"
    Yep. And that's why I thought about it yesterday. So they're My Iowa Hawkeyes too.

Forbes can wax nostalgic about Iowa all he wants, but he has lived in a lot of places and seen a lot of things since he last lived in Iowa. Ain't no way, he leaves an ACC job to go live in Iowa year round. Plus, it's not like he is an Iowa alum. He split town the the first chance he got and went to college at Southern Arkansas.

Message Board Genius
    Yeah, he was doing everything he could to get out of Iowa so he turned down scholarship offers at Drake, Iowa, and ISU and went to Southern Arkansas because he wanted to see more of the world. He followed that up by returning to Iowa before journeying to such exotic places as Kansas, Idaho, Texas, northern Louisiana, central Illinois, eastern Tennessee, and THE TRIAD !

Bzzz is a fucking loser Arsene Wenger's Avatar
    In this coat that looks like a puffy sleeping bag
    Bourbon Row is fun. That’s all I got.

I can't wrap my head around somebody wanting to return to Iowa.

All I'm saying is the stories that Forbes tells about Lone Tree Iowa are great and everyone loves hearing them but get real...the only reason that he would go back to Iowa now is because he didn't have any other options and that's just not the case. If Forbes keeps Wake on this trajectory, I'll be more worried about him leaving for Kentucky than Iowa.