• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Maybe Skip was the Mike Tomlin of keeping crazy coaches under wraps.

Also, it would have been kinda weird if Dino was still on the bench and had back-doored his way into another premier coaching gig.

It wasn't long ago that everyone here would have given anything to get Mack.[/QUOlO

LOL! Yes

I think it’s interesting that Forbes only makes 2 million a year considering how unattractive the Wake job must be after the last decade.

Wake had to buy out Manning. Hopefully that's done.

Maybe Skip was the Mike Tomlin of keeping crazy coaches under wraps.

Also, it would have been kinda weird if Dino was still on the bench and had back-doored his way into another premier coaching gig.

It wasn't long ago that everyone here would have given anything to get Mack.[/QUOlO

LOL! Yes

Mack is a prick. Always was. In our interactions with him at least.

If i’m John Currie after this season i give Forbes a nice big fat raise.

Wouldn't be shocked if they already had something worked out. "Let's get you started at $2M and once I get this Wellman budget mess worked out, we'll get you an extension for Year 3 or 4 depending on when you get back in the tournament."

I just finished reviewing the Univeristy of Iowa benefits package and their employees get 15% off at the Buffalo Wild Wings Coralville, IA location. We can't compete with that.

That is a shame, the Vine is so much better and conveniently located next to the Wig & Pen for great pizza.

Given the Manning contract debacle, at the time WF landed Forbes, think the athletic department and the general counsel were little skittish about entering into a long expensive contract with a basketball coach that was moving up a level. Also, WF was the only Power V opening in the 2020 off-season; so, WF had all of the leverage in the world. Forbes could take the WF offer, or continue coaching at ETSU for a fraction of that. Leverage has now changed. There will be a ton of high-profile openings, and Forbes has demonstrated that he can build a program at light speed. So, WF either has or will need to sweeten the pot. We have a world-class AD, and donors willing to spend. Forbes will be taken care of. He isn't leaving unless a uber-elite program makes an offer than no one could refuse. Not going to happen this year, but don't think its going to be long before everyone knows Forbes is the best of the best at building a program.

Last edited:
Best of the best? Don’t go giving him the fat head…

Giving the Manning contract debacle, at the time WF landed Forbes, think the athletic department and the general counsel were little skittish about entering into a long expensive contract with a basketball coach that was moving up a level. Also, WF was the only Power V opening in the 2020 off-season; so, WF had all of the leverage in the world. Forbes could take the WF offer, or continue coaching at ETSU for a fraction of that. Leverage has now changed. There will be a ton of high-profile openings, and Forbes has demonstrated that he can build a program at light speed. So, WF either has or will need to sweeten the pot. We have a world-class AD, and donors willing to spend. Forbes will be taken care of. He isn't leaving unless a uber-elite program makes an offer than no one could refuse. Not going to happen this year, but don't think its going to be long before everyone knows Forbes is the best of the best at building a program.

This all has the ring of truth.

Wouldn't be shocked if they already had something worked out. "Let's get you started at $2M and once I get this Wellman budget mess worked out, we'll get you an extension for Year 3 or 4 depending on when you get back in the tournament."

Or set some hefty incentives for, e.g., finishing in the top five of the ACC +$250K, top three +$500K, every road win +10K, getting to the tourney in year 2 +$500k, sweet 16 +$750K etc.

Or set some hefty incentives for, e.g., finishing in the top five of the ACC +$250K, top three +$500K, every road win +10K, getting to the tourney in year 2 +$500k, sweet 16 +$750K etc.

major-league.gif

Memphis way better job than Wake??? Don't think so....

Did someone suggest that it is or is this the ultimate strawman ?

A whole heap of dudes on the Memphis boards that want to get rid of Penny.

There has been some Forbes talk over there, which I assume is what he's talking about.

Steve Forbes will be a prime candidate for head coach at any top university that has an opening this year. He is demonstrating he can rebuild a floundering program and can replicate his performance at ETSU on a P5 level. He is delivering what we hoped for and his abilities will be in demand. A pleasant change for WFU.

Back