• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Gentleman’s agreement since State poached Tom O Brian, or is that the “lateral” exception

Gentleman’s agreement since State poached Tom O Brian, or is that the “lateral” exception

That was pretty much an exceptional situation. BC was ready to fire him when he left so I'm sure they were happy to see him leave. Loss to Wake in 2006 contributed to his departure.

Agreed. I was thinking about that yesterday.

simple solution when that happens: we just hire former Wake Forest basketball player Fran McCaffrey

McCaffrey has been at Iowa 12 years, which is a hell of a long time. But he's won 20+ games there 7 of the last 9 years, and has them at 14-5 this year. So he's still producing for them. No idea when he'll end up leaving.

McCaffery was in trouble in 2018, but he's had solid years since then. That said, his act is wearing a little thin in Iowa. His NCAA tourney record is atrocious. In 5 NCAA tournaments, they have out performed their seed once, and that was winning a game as a 10 seed over a 7. Last year, Iowa was a 2 seed and a top 5 ranked program, and #7 seed Oregon trucked them by 15 in the second round. Also, McCaffrey has two kids playing for Iowa: one is a senior and one is a sophomore. Would think he will stay at least until he can't coach his kids anymore. McCaffrey will likely coach Iowa for two more seasons, after that he may want to leave or he may not have a choice if the Hawkeyes haven't won a few NCAA tourney games.

Well I'll be rooting for them.

Hopefully Forbes will discover he likes being 3.5 hours from the beach and 1.5 from the mountains. Can't get that in Iowa.

UL is a trash institution and deserves the shitstorm they're in right now. If I were a good coach and decent human being, I'd not consider them seriously at all for a job opening.

Agreed which is why I think Bruce Pearl would fit right in there. I hope Louisville burns to the damn ground along with Duke Basketball. Fuck em.

In the BC radio postgame Forbes did call them "My Iowa Hawkeyes"

Yep. And that's why I thought about it yesterday. So they're My Iowa Hawkeyes too.

Forbes can wax nostalgic about Iowa all he wants, but he has lived in a lot of places and seen a lot of things since he last lived in Iowa. Ain't no way, he leaves an ACC job to go live in Iowa year round. Plus, it's not like he is an Iowa alum. He split town the the first chance he got and went to college at Southern Arkansas.

Yeah, he was doing everything he could to get out of Iowa so he turned down scholarship offers at Drake, Iowa, and ISU and went to Southern Arkansas because he wanted to see more of the world. He followed that up by returning to Iowa before journeying to such exotic places as Kansas, Idaho, Texas, northern Louisiana, central Illinois, eastern Tennessee, and THE TRIAD !

I can't wrap my head around somebody wanting to return to Iowa.

All I'm saying is the stories that Forbes tells about Lone Tree Iowa are great and everyone loves hearing them but get real...the only reason that he would go back to Iowa now is because he didn't have any other options and that's just not the case. If Forbes keeps Wake on this trajectory, I'll be more worried about him leaving for Kentucky than Iowa.

Back