• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Djokovic Visa Revoked Again -- Thoughts?

I still think he faked the positive test. Tennis Australia advised that players could enter if players got Covid since June 2021. Novak had to say he was entering the Australian open by Dec 10th. He "got Covid" Dec 16th. If he didn't get Covid was he not playing?

That is rather convenient.

What laws do people think Fauci enacted?

He has become a figurehead and a proxy for one side vs. the other, some of it due to understandable inconsistencies in what he says, but much of it being due to the fact that he has been allowed to chime in on matters that aren't his business. It has become the whole "science vs. anti-science" thing, when the truth is far more complicated. There are certainly some troglodytes out there, but Fauci's focus and directions from the outset should have been very narrow. But of course we haven't had anybody competent running the show since this all started, and certainly not anybody articulate enough set forth some strict parameters on his public comments to Fauci.

ELC, this is a good post. You explain your position and thoughts well. I think you misrepresent my position somewhat. I'm not looking for caveats. If I was, they would be innumerable, and we could also talk about the vaccines - which brand/type, when they were given, how many were administered, if antibodies developed, etc. Rather, I am trying to be as pragmatic as possible. Either one was vaccinated or not - a very straightforward position without caveats. The problem with using "previous infection" as a surrogate for vaccination is that it is 1) vague and 2) we have very little idea of the protection it provides. We truly do not know if an asymptomatic infection provides 5 days or 5 months of protection, which is the crux of the problem.

In regards to Djokovic, one of two things happened: 1) he lied about being infected on Dec 16, or 2) he was infected on Dec 16 and then did an interview and photoshoot without a mask the next day. Either way, the guy can't be trusted. Australia has taken the pandemic very seriously. In the US, we currently have 875,000 dead from COVID. If the US COVID death rate equaled that of Australia, we would have only 34,000 dead. The difference is obviously massive.

Again, Australia can do what they want. Their country, their rules. And it's obviously much easier for them to control what is going on in their borders since they're an island in the middle of nowhere. The issue of natural immunity is a larger problem worldwide, where it seems very few people in power have addressed it-- something that makes sense as a matter of public policy, where you consider things like compromises and which battles you fight. Too much deference is being given to those caveats I mentioned, IMO.

Again, Australia can do what they want. Their country, their rules. And it's obviously much easier for them to control what is going on in their borders since they're an island in the middle of nowhere. The issue of natural immunity is a larger problem worldwide, where it seems very few people in power have addressed it-- something that makes sense as a matter of public policy, where you consider things like compromises and which battles you fight. Too much deference is being given to those caveats I mentioned, IMO.

I think trying to address COVID natural immunity as part of public policy is not a good approach from a time/resources standpoint, especially in the short term. We do not use documentation of previous infection as a surrogate for vaccination for other diseases. Healthcare workers cannot say, "I already had the flu, so I don't need the vaccine this year." Or, "my child already had pertussis, so she doesn't need DTaP vaccination to start public school." There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are based on multiple decades of knowledge about immunity and antibodies for the specific disease. For example, some healthcare workers may be able to skip varicella or hepatitis B vaccination if they have documented IgG antibodies, because we know the titer that provides decades of immunity to those diseases.

I think we are much better off with people like Trump, Ted Cruz, Gavin Newsome and Ron DeSantis making policy decisions in response to a pandemic than scientists who actually understand what’s going on and what the future possibilities might be.

GTFOH with the argument that we are better off with politicians making public health policy in a pandemic.

It has become the whole "science vs. anti-science" thing, when the truth is far more complicated.

It's more complicated for maybe 2% of the people who criticize Fauci. The other 98% of the fuck Fauci crowd are the troglodytes you mention, including all of the Fuck Fauci politicians.

Novak is also one of the troglodytes and I am glad Australia is no making an exception for him.

Nor are the French or Spanish. Love it. Make your choices and live with the consequences.

I think we are much better off with people like Trump, Ted Cruz, Gavin Newsome and Ron DeSantis making policy decisions in response to a pandemic than scientists who actually understand what’s going on and what the future possibilities might be.

GTFOH with the argument that we are better off with politicians making public health policy in a pandemic.

Not sure how to break it to you but Brandon has been POTUS for over a year.

Not sure how to break it to you but Brandon has been POTUS for over a year.

Actually doofus that anniversary is Thursday. And the big hair job is still waiting for warm weather to make it go away. Did you boo DT when he encouraged vaccination and boosters?

Actually doofus that anniversary is Thursday. And the big hair job is still waiting for warm weather to make it go away. Did you boo DT when he encouraged vaccination and boosters?

Please don't insult Doofus like that. He is a good poster.

Back