• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Djokovic Visa Revoked Again -- Thoughts?

OblongPickle

Reaction score
I don't think this is a politics topic, but if it is, whatever.

Djokovic has his visa revoked again and could face deportation.

Personally I agree whole-heartedly that he should not be able to play until he provides proof of vaccination, and think his excuse of "natural immunity" is bullshit. But I'm interested in others' thoughts. Really want to keep politics out of it, and just focus on your thoughts about athletes and their responsibility to the public in areas regarding public health and safety.

Here's a great article from ESPN about anti-vax/anti-mandate athletes and their failure to use their platforms for the benefit of world health.

I think that's a great read regardless of your stance. It really addresses issues that a lot of people have with athletes in this Covid-19 era.

He’s free to make bad choices…and experience the consequences.

I might have a little more sympathy for him having to miss out on playing if he just stated his reasons for non-vaccination (however misguided they are) and left it at that, but he has consistently flaunted the public health guidance for the better part of the past 2 years (even after testing positive in some cases), so I believe this is just karma biting him in the ass. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I might have a little more sympathy for him having to miss out on playing if he just stated his reasons for non-vaccination (however misguided they are) and left it at that, but he has consistently flaunted the public health guidance for the better part of the past 2 years (even after testing positive in some cases), so I believe this is just karma biting him in the ass. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

This.

just get the shot, you assholes

I would bet he has taken vitamins and supplements that have undergone a whole lot less testing than the Corona virus vaccine.

Because of language in the regulatory authority laws, the US Food and Drug Administration has limited ability to require much testing of "food supplements." That is why a lot of product labeling and advertising contains the disclaimer, "Not intended to diagnose or treat any disease..."

If he has used one supplement with the intent of improving himself physically to play tennis, but refuses the Covid vaccine, then he has earned this treatment.

The tennis star also said he had participated in an interview and a photo shoot even after testing positive for the coronavirus, in an apparent violation of rules in his native Serbia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/12/world/asia/novak-djokovic-covid-statement.html

The balls on him, to do a photo shoot and an interview unmasked after he tested positive for Covid. Get the F off the Island dude. He doesn't have a right to play in the tournament. The Aussies can allow in who they want to and for what reasons, you want to be a shitty global citizen, you can't expect governments to want to let you in and flaunt the rules.

I would bet he has taken vitamins and supplements that have undergone a whole lot less testing than the Corona virus vaccine.

I'll support letting him stay if he drinks his on urine on TV.

Really want to keep politics out of it, and just focus on your thoughts about athletes and their responsibility to the public in areas regarding public health and safety.

that's not political?

If he had Covid last month, the case for him not playing because he isn't vaccinated is pretty weak. If you want to say vaccination plus natural immunity is better than natural immunity, then great. But his natural immunity, particularly if it is from last month, should be sufficient. It's on par with vaccination. I am amazed at how stubborn policy makers still are in not carving out exceptions for natural immunity. That doesn't mean that your natural immunity is good forever, but it should buy you a certain amount of time. Say 6 months worth?

Him showing up at a public event supposedly with an active case doesn't look too good, but he wasn't doing that in Australia. I suspect that if you lived in Belgrade, you'd have a rather loose interpretation of Covid regs and norms. Serbia may as well be on Mars.

The Aussies have been remarkably heavy handed during Covid. It is their country and they can do WTF they want, but this is a stupid decision on their part and it won't be the last one they make with regard to Covid.

If we applied the same level of scrutiny to people entering the US, I suspect that would be fun for a lot of people who approve of this.

He doesn't have to be a public health policy advocate. However, he does have an obligation to correctly fill out forms regarding his immigration and travel status. If he cheated on these, did he cheat to win all those tennis tournaments?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/12/world/asia/novak-djokovic-covid-statement.html

The balls on him, to do a photo shoot and an interview unmasked after he tested positive for Covid. Get the F off the Island dude. He doesn't have a right to play in the tournament. The Aussies can allow in who they want to and for what reasons, you want to be a shitty global citizen, you can't expect governments to want to let you in and flaunt the rules.

Didn't see a strong border control take coming.

Back