• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Big Sur

CHDeac

Reaction score
Celebrating 25 year anniversary with my wife. We are doing a multi day Duvine bike trip in Sonoma before we hit Big Sur.

Any suggestions of places to stay? Hikes to do? We are dropping some major coin on the bike trip and a few days in SF so Im trying to avoid the $1500/night place my wife found and thought was cute.

TIA.

Celebrating 25 year anniversary with my wife. We are doing a multi day Duvine bike trip in Sonoma before we hit Big Sur.

Any suggestions of places to stay? Hikes to do? We are dropping some major coin on the bike trip and a few days in SF so Im trying to avoid the $1500/night place my wife found and thought was cute.

TIA.

Ventana? That place is amazing!

Pfeiffer Falls and Vista View are 2 easy hikes. McWay cove is gorgeous.

Get a drink at Nepenthe at sunset.

I've never been, but I really want to try the hot springs at the Esalen Institute.

Big Sur is amazing, it's one of my favorite trips. Have fun!

If you want to stay in Carmel, would highly recommend La Playa Carmel. Great location, very reasonably priced, historic old former Ghiradelli mansion, nice amenities. Or Mission Ranch - Clint Eastwood's place. Definitely spend half a day at Point Lobos - just a beautiful place. And walking the entire beach up under the cliffs at Pebble was a must and great time for us.

Keep an eye out for California condors in Big Sur.

Ventana? That place is amazing!

Pfeiffer Falls and Vista View are 2 easy hikes. McWay cove is gorgeous.

Get a drink at Nepenthe at sunset.

I've never been, but I really want to try the hot springs at the Esalen Institute.

Big Sur is amazing, it's one of my favorite trips. Have fun!

Yes to Ventana and Nepenthe

Here are my recommendations from tigerswood's recent Central Coast thread:

If you're taking 1 from Paso Robles to Carmel, there's great hiking at Julia Pfeiffer and Garrapata in Big Sur. Be sure to check out McWay Falls. If not, Point Lobos is right outside Carmel. It's great, as well, but a bit more crowded. In Big Sur, Nepenthe and the restaurant at the Ventana hotel are both good and have great views. Deetjen's is a really cool place as well, but I'm not sure if it ever reopened after the mud slides.

Restaurants: Roy's and The Bench in Pebble Beach, Mission Ranch, Katy's Place (breakfast), Dametra, and Grasing's in Carmel.
Things to do: 17 Mile Drive, Monterey Bay Aquarium (you have to buy tickets in advance and show your vaccine card), Ocean Ave. in Carmel. Laguna Seca is an amazing track, but I doubt anything will be happening in January. Dennis the Menace Park in Monterey is good for little kids. I have plenty of golf opinions if you're planning on playing. We like to rent kayaks at Elkhorn Slough and check out the otters.

En route from Monterey to San Francisco, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk on the way to the Bay Area is a lot of fun if you have kids. Alternatively, the outdoor bar at the Half Moon Bay Ritz is fun.

There are tasting rooms on every other corner in Carmel. Alvarado Street Brewery in Carmel Plaza and Folktale Vineyard in Carmel Valley are both fun.

Also, be sure to be a considerate tourist/hiker in Big Sur. Bad behavior by obnoxious, instagram-driven tourists is going to ruin Big Sur someday.

Back