• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 19: WF at GT - Wednesday Jan 19 7 pm - ESPNU

Even TD didn't have a clean record in Atlanta, while he was undefeated in Cameron. IIRC in 79 we lost State on a last second shot which propelled them to the NCAA Championship.

Odom's last ACCT was an embarrassment to MD in Atlanta.

For whatever reason we don't like playing in Atlanta.

I think our best showing was in Odom's 1st NCAAT, where we won in the 1st round but lost to Alabama in the 2nd.

Was at the Omni against 'Bama that NCAAT...take a look at the Bama roster if you're bored today. That team was absolutely loaded.

Was at the Omni against 'Bama that NCAAT...take a look at the Bama roster if you're bored today. That team was absolutely loaded.

James Robinson - FR - (Parade HS All-American, NBA) - 16.8ppg
Melvin Cheatum - SR - 16.5ppg, 7.8rpg
Robert Horry - JR - (Parade HS All-American, NBA) - 11.5ppg, 7.9rpg
Gary Waites - SR - 10.5ppg, 3.0rpg, 5.3apg
Latrell Sprewell - JUCO Transfer - (NBA) - 8.9ppg, 5.0rpg
Marcus Webb - SO - (NBA) - 5.5ppg, 4.8rpg

Yeah, that's a squad. 4 NBA players... Two of which were very good NBA players (Horry & Sprewell).

They were probably even better the next year when Robinson, Sprewell, and Horry were a year older... And they added another NBA player in Jason Caffey (who wasn't good until his SO year).

James Robinson - FR - (Parade HS All-American, NBA) - 16.8ppg
Melvin Cheatum - SR - 16.5ppg, 7.8rpg
Robert Horry - JR - (Parade HS All-American, NBA) - 11.5ppg, 7.9rpg
Gary Waites - SR - 10.5ppg, 3.0rpg, 5.3apg
Latrell Sprewell - JUCO Transfer - (NBA) - 8.9ppg, 5.0rpg
Marcus Webb - SO - (NBA) - 5.5ppg, 4.8rpg

Yeah, that's a squad. 4 NBA players... Two of which were very good NBA players (Horry & Sprewell).

They were probably even better the next year when Robinson, Sprewell, and Horry were a year older... And they added another NBA player in Jason Caffey (who wasn't good until his SO year).

That squad's got nothing on that UK team that spanked us and gave us [name redacted].

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/300790096

John Wall/Eric Bledsoe/Boogie Cousins/Patrick Patterson + Daniel Orton (#29 pick), Josh Harrellson (#45 pick), Darius Miller (#46 pick), and DeAndre Liggins (#53 pick)

on one team

10 players from that game played in the NBA (2 for Wake, 8 for Kentucky)

That's pretty good. The 1995-96 team had more depth though.

Antoine Walker
Ron Mercer
Nazr Mohammed
Derek Anderson

Tony Delk
Walter McCarty

Mark Pope (#52 pick and a journeyman NBA career)
Jeff Sheppard played for the Hawks
Wayne Turner had a cup of coffee with the Celtics

Yeah, I was at that game. Robinson refused to miss.

It's not a surprise when KY is loaded. They have always have had their pick of 5 star recruits. Alabama basketball in the 1980s and 1990s was even more of an afterthought behind football than it is today. Those Wimp Sanderson teams in the late 1980s and early 1990s produced a ridiculous amount of talent, essentially everyone that got minutes was either a future NBA player or a player that just missed in the NBA. Bama went through a stretch between 1988 and 1995 when it had 4 or 5 future NBA players on every team, but one, and that one team had 3.

Antoine Walker
Ron Mercer
Nazr Mohammed
Derek Anderson

Tony Delk
Walter McCarty

probably the best team ever -- their scrubs literally became a championship team two years later. the entire starting lineup for the 98 championship team was also on the 96 team, but none of them were in the top 7 in minutes played on the 96 team.

Sounds like wimp Sanderson underachieved back in the day.

Sounds like wimp Sanderson underachieved back in the day.

They did. My understanding was that lots of players on that team were occupied by "interests" outside of basketball on those Bama teams, but then again, that might have been the case for every hoop team at that time.

Seems like an opportunity for Cam to make a big contribution.

It could be, but he's been a mixed bag on defense. Let's hope the team practiced moving their feet more and their hands less in practice this week. We can't afford for our stars to keep getting lazy reaching fouls and we need our guards to just try harder/stick to fundamentals

(It's wild that we've come from "maybe the team will learn how to execute one dimension of a game plan over the course of a season, but most likely not" to "the team is fixing weaknesses and executing better with each subsequent game")

Antoine Walker
Ron Mercer
Nazr Mohammed
Derek Anderson

Tony Delk
Walter McCarty

Maybe the best college team I have ever seen. Oddly I was talking to my kids about that team and going to that game against Wake yesterday. I bagged Tony Delk’s groceries the summer after that game. My son said I should have refused. Years later I sat directly behind Delk at a Spurs-Hawks game. He was on the end of the bench injured in street clothes. And that concludes my Tony Delk stories.

Maybe the best college team I have ever seen. Oddly I was talking to my kids about that team and going to that game against Wake yesterday. I bagged Tony Delk’s groceries the summer after that game. My son said I should have refused. Years later I sat directly behind Delk at a Spurs-Hawks game. He was on the end of the bench injured in street clothes. And that concludes my Tony Delk stories.

Only concludes them until the next encounter.

Which I eagerly await.

The thing I remember most about those Kentucky teams were that they had, quite possibly, the worst uniforms of all time.

5-SH-13614846614Kentucky.jpg

I know zippo about GT. How much does Rodney Howard being cleared to
play tonight matter?

Back