• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wordle Thread

Pretty much every day I come up with a combination of letters that fit and looks like it could be a word but it isn’t. How is “crimp” a word but “trimp” isn’t? It’s weird.

Wtf does "trimp" mean?

"Crimp" means to give something a wavy shape like a pie crust or a ribbon. I most often hear it describing a hair style

Wtf does "trimp" mean?

"Crimp" means to give something a wavy shape like a pie crust or a ribbon. I most often hear it describing a hair style

You missed the point. It’s about how some combination of letters become words and similar combinations of letters that are also phonetically sound are nothing. “Trimp” isn’t a word. But it’s not a word because of its phonetics. It’s not a word because we’ve never given it that meaning.

Except that crimp as an actual word that people use and trimp is not

Is your point just that there are combinations of sounds that look like words but aren't?

What's that have to do with wordle?

Is your point just that there are combinations of sounds that look like words but aren't?

What's that have to do with wordle?

It has a lot to do with wordle when you’re trying to come up with guesses from a limited letter set.

I would have liked to have been there at the English language council meeting where they made up words and said, "Hey, if 'crimp' is going to be word, we better do something with 'trimp' too. We have 'cramp' and 'tramp', so why the hell not ?"

I would have liked to have been there at the English language council meeting where they made up words and said, "Hey, if 'crimp' is going to be word, we better do something with 'trimp' too. We have 'cramp' and 'tramp', so why the hell not ?"
I was there but I voted "no" on trimp

He also said

Pretty much every day I come up with a combination of letters that fit and looks like it could be a word but it isn’t.

And gave an example of something that looks like it could be a word but isn’t.

Hmmm….not sure if my search results highlighting page 72 will show for you…I’ll try and post a screenshot…

UywQxvs.png

Coach beard would tell phdeac that he's experiencing whatever is the opposite of semantic satiation

But it doesn't look like a word. There has never in history been a word that looked like that

Sure there have. There are words with a cluster and -imp.

There are words with tr [insert vowel] mp.

The funny thing is I first looked up slimp and brimp and found entries on Urban Dictionary before settling on trimp as an example. If the right TikTok video or tweet comes along, you’ll be saying “trimp.”

If the right TikTok video or tweet comes along, you’ll be saying “trimp.”

Hahahah, I can't believe you'd say that to me of all people

Name a single word that's spelled "tr_mp"! Oh, fuck. Worst word ever

Back