• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 20: UNC-Ch - Saturday 8 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
In what may be WF's biggest home basketball game in more than a decade, the Deacs host UNC Saturday night at the Joel. Here is the skinny on the Holes for this season.

2021-22 UNC: First year coach Hubert Davis leads his 12-5 (4-2 -- KP #37) to Winston. The Holes had a rough November giving up a lot of points to mediocre teams (87 to Brown; 83 to Charleston) and losing decisively to the quality teams they played (93-84 to Purdue; 89-72 to TN), but after falling to #53 in November, UNC started rolling up big wins (Michigan by 21, GT by 17 and 23, BC by 26, UVA by 16). Heading into this week, UNC had jumped up to #24 in KP ratings, and at that point, the "experts" were thrilled to conclude that the natural order of things had returned with Duke and UNC at the top of the ACC. Then, Duke lost at FSU, and the Canes smoked UNC by 28. As a result, several teams remain in the mix for the top spots in the conference, including our Deacs. Despite the blow out in Coral Gables, UNC's ACC metrics remain strong. The Holes are the #4 ACC team on offense, ranking #2 in the ACC in effective FG% (55%), #2 3 PT FG% (39%), #2 in FT % (81%). Like WF, UNC's primary weakness on offense is TOs (#11 in the ACC in TO%). Surprisingly, UNC ranks as the #2 ACC team in defense in conference games. UNC leads the ACC in preventing offensive rebounds and keeping the opponent off the foul line; they rank #2 in 2 PT FG defense. However, the Hole's don't force many TOs (#14 in defensive TO%) and teams have hurt UNC from deep (#14 in 3 PT%). UNC likes to play with tempo; they are #3 ACC team in possessions per game. Saturday's game is the only WF/UNC regular season matchup; so, a win would constitute a big step to gain advantage over UNC in the conference standings, ACC tourney seedings and maybe even NCAA tourney fortunes.

UNC Roster:

Versus Miami, UNC started:

G RJ Davis 6-0 Soph.: leads in assist and TOs (2:1); shoots 42% from 3; 13 ppg; 113 O rating;
G Caleb Love 6-4 Soph.: improved from 2021 -- 87 to 107 O rating; 2nd leading scorer; 15 ppg; 44% from 3; TO prone
F Leaky Black 6-8 Sr.: seems like he played with Jordan; still limited offensively - 2 threes on the season; 3.5 ppg; 2nd in assists
F Brady Manek 6-9 Sr.: OK transfer; loves the 3 (more 3 PT FGA than 2 PT FGA); 36% from 3; 62% from 2; 2nd in rebounds
C Armando Bacot 6-10 So.: All-American on the ugly team (see below); leading scorer 17 ppg and rebounder 11 rpg; doesn't shoot the 3; has been hot lately: 21/17 @ ND; 29/21 UVA; 29/12 GT; 15/12 Miami;

https%3A%2F%2Fbustingbrackets.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2018%2F08%2F14026611-850x560.jpeg

UNC's bench:

G Kerwin Walton 6-5 So.: started last year, but minutes down from 2021; 33% from 3; hasn't scored more than 6 in a game since November; may be heading to the transfer portal after the season
F-C Dawson Garcia 6-11: Marquette transfer; erratic has 3 20+ point games, including 26 against Purdue; has scored a total of 7 points since the start of 2022

BTW, early in the off-season transfer portal process, it was reported that WF was closing in on landing Justin McCoy a 6-8 transfer from UVA; Davis got the UNC job, and he convinced McCoy to head to Chapel Hill... hasn't exactly worked out for Justin as his minutes are down from his days in C'ville, and McCoy has scored a total of 18 points in 14 games this year. Sometimes, it works to your benefit to miss on a recruit.

Projection: KP projects a 78-76 WF win in 72 possessions. Like the over in this game. With the addition of Monsanto, WF is now a better offensive team and is deeper, which means WF can/will run more. UNC likes to play at a fast tempo too, and they won't shoot as horribly as they did against Miami (20% from 2). Think the winner of this game will get into the 80s. Controlling Bacot will be key to a win. Bacot has been mauling teams upfront lately. Walton and Sy will have their hands full. Feel like WF is due for a game with strong three point shooting luck. Hope its this Saturday. WF basketball is fun to follow again, and Saturday's game may be a season highlight. Can... not... wait...

Does anyone have extra tickets for the Carolina game. I’m looking for 3 for my grandson, son and myself?

This is one of those games that I'm going to have to watch by myself in a secluded part of the house, as to not frighten my family with the dizzying array of expletives and (hopefully) outbursts of joyful noise.

My wife and I are driving to Winston for the weekend. It’ll be my first Wake Forest basketball game in 5 years. And it’ll be the first Wake Forest basketball game I’ve attended in person since 2009 that I’m really fucking excited about. Cannot wait for Saturday.

It is officially a big game.

I have a couple extra in lower level bowl Section 114. $110 per. I will take a slight loss, but I would prefer Deacs and not Heel fans obvs. PM if interested.

ETA: I'm driving down from Baltimore to take my 14 year old daughter to her first WF basketball game ever. She's been to a few football games over the years as it is hard to make many from up here. It just feels great to care again. The atmosphere should be pretty good! Thanks Coach Forbes (and John Currie)!!!

Last edited:
I'll be there, assuming Raleigh is not covered in 3 feet of snow late Saturday afternoon.

Dang, why does this have to be on the same time as NFL playoffs.

What is the face value for lower level tickets? I'm seeing them listed at $100 and up but the ones I have are $65 in section 121.

re: most important home game in a decade, I don't think it'll be quite as important as the home win over Louisville in 2017

"UNC leads the ACC in preventing offensive rebounds and keeping the opponent off the foul line". UNC has led the league in both of these categories for decades. It's nearly impossible to get so many offensive rebounds, and not get whistled for going over the back, but alas, the whistles never come for the baby blue.

What is the face value for lower level tickets? I'm seeing them listed at $100 and up but the ones I have are $65 in section 121.

I just bought two from WF for $125 each. I assume the prices are lower for season ticket holders, etc.

Thankfully, Hubert Davis doesn't scout teams. Monsanto only 6 pts/per game, no worries.

"UNC leads the ACC in preventing offensive rebounds and keeping the opponent off the foul line". UNC has led the league in both of these categories for decades. It's nearly impossible to get so many offensive rebounds, and not get whistled for going over the back, but alas, the whistles never come for the baby blue.

But according to the Tarhole fans, Duke gets all the no-calls. FUCK UNC!

re: most important home game in a decade, I don't think it'll be quite as important as the home win over Louisville in 2017

Fair point. Just given the totality of circumstances, hard to say any game played with Manning in charge was huge, but that was a big game and a big win. Sealed an NCAA bid.

Maybe already mentioned somewhere but will be a reunion of sorts for former Oklahoma teammates….ManMan and Manek.

Back