• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOAT PG Discussion

Longevity matters, too.

Magic definitely has an excuse, but Thomas retired at 32. CP somehow is still in his prime at 36. Stockton had productive years through 40, but CP is still playing at a 1st Team All-NBA level

Longevity is why Stockton is ahead of CP and Isiah for me. If CP has 3-4 more very productive years like Stockton did, I'll put him above Isiah.

The one I don’t get is James harden. Is he a point guard? Seems to be that he dominates the ball at the expense of his teammates and just slows the offense down so he can go one on one. Plus, if Paul gets dinged for lack of postseason success than harden is even worse by a long shot.

Longevity is why Stockton is ahead of CP and Isiah for me. If CP has 3-4 more very productive years like Stockton did, I'll put him above Isiah.

Ok. But i honestly wasn’t trying to troll with the win shares metric. I don’t know how well they are thought of compared to different baseball metrics that I’m familiar with. I’m guessing that most advanced metrics would favor Paul. I think there’s room to value team accomplishments. But why does Stockton get the nod over him for longevity and not CP3?

interesting conversation and i think i am sort of in the same boat as a lot of you guys. my list:

Magic
Oscar Robertson
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas
Stephen Curry

from here is gets much tougher...

Chris Paul
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Gary Payton (maybe)

then you have the other current group that can make the list...

Steph doesn’t have to be a traditional pass first PG to make every one of his teammates better. Defenses are so scared of him shooting that his teammates all get much easier drive lanes and much more open looks. That’s worth essentially as much as passing to get his teammates open.

If that’s the case then Shaq was an underrated PG.

PER rankings:

Chris Paul - 11
Magic - 17
Stockton - 40
Isaiah - 94

PER rankings:

Chris Paul - 11
Magic - 17
Stockton - 40
Isaiah - 94

CIADX5DPBC7XHGB5YGNFBQ4OYE.jpg

Box plus/minus:

Magic - 3
CP3 - 5
Stockton - 9
Isaiah - 116

the only valid answer is playoff rondo and i will not be taking questions

was West a PG? i thought he was a SG.

I was not alive, but everything I've read is that he played point, although a little like Steph, it sounds like he was kind of a quasi-2 guard, as well.

I'm gonna need some advanced stats on Bob Cousy and Walt Frazier.

Jerry west was absolutely not a point guard

Back