• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOAT PG Discussion

MHBDemon

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been beat to death before.

What Chris Paul is doing in his age 36 season is pretty incredible. Is his peak and longevity enough to overcome his lack of playoff success.

Who is the greatest PG in history? And where does Chris Paul fit into the discussion?

I’ve always thought Stockton was the best comp for CP and CP needs a few more years to catch up to him.

Steph is the greatest PG of this generation. CP is second. Both are in a top 5 with Magic, Stockton, and Isiah.

This is a great time for PGs. Harden, Westbrook, and Kyrie are among the all time greats. Trae, Luka, Ja, and LaMelo will be. And there are plenty other very good PGs and even plenty of quality backups.

Last edited:
I’ve always thought Stockton was the best comp for CP and CP needs a few more years to catch up to him.

Steph is the greatest PG of this generation. CP is second. Both are in a top 5 with Magic, Stockton, and Isiah.

This is a great time for PGs. Harden, Westbrook, and Kyrie are among the all time greats. Trae, Luka, Ja, and LaMelo will be. And there are plenty other very good PGs and even plenty of quality backups.

Not sure I agree with the Steph GOAT reference. He’s a phenomenal player but no way compares to some of the greatest PGs of all time. He’s a premier scorer that can get his shot of quickly and pull up from anywhere after he steps over the timeline! He’s not a pass first, traditional point that makes everyone better on the floor. No way his traditional PGs numbers compare to the greats.

Not sure I agree with the Steph GOAT reference. He’s a phenomenal player but no way compares to some of the greatest PGs of all time. He’s a premier scorer that can get his shot of quickly and pull up from anywhere after he steps over the timeline! He’s not a pass first, traditional point that makes everyone better on the floor. No way his traditional PGs numbers compare to the greats.

Steph doesn’t have to be a traditional pass first PG to make every one of his teammates better. Defenses are so scared of him shooting that his teammates all get much easier drive lanes and much more open looks. That’s worth essentially as much as passing to get his teammates open.

The Athletic is running a series on top 75 players of all time. They have CP at 30, Isaiah Thomas at 26, and Stockton at 25. Oscar Robertson, Curry and Magic will be higher (they are at #21 right now in the countdown).

What’s the argument for having Isaiah Thomas ahead of Chris? I don’t see that one.

He's got two rings and an NBA Finals MVP.

Yep. He was the best player on one of the top franchises of the 80s along with the Celtics, Lakers, and Sixers.

Stockton has that argument for the Jazz in the 90s although without the rings.

CPs teams haven’t been among the best in the 00s and 10s. CP’s rep has been for elevating bad teams. That’s good but not the same as making the Finals. Maybe the Suns will be one of the top franchises in the 20s.

CP is definitely in the Magic/Thomas/Stockton tier.

Y'all convinced me that Magic is probably the GOAT, but I'm if/when CP wins a ring, I think it gets more interesting.

My Top 10 in my lifetime

Magic
Steph
Stockton
Isiah
CP
Nash
Kidd
GP
Harden
Kyrie

Steph is nominally a PG, but it feels weird to me to have him as a PG? The magic of the Warriors is that they have 3 distributors on the floor at all times (4 when KD was there, too).

I don’t know much about Win Shares metric, but Isaiah is 160th, sandwiched between Zach Randolph and Carlos Boozer.

an underrated part of CP's game is that he turns it over a lot less than other guys in the discussion

Isiah: 3.76 per game
Magic: 3.87
Steph: 3.1
CP: 2.4

Back