• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOAT PG Discussion

CP should have an MVP too. Were it not for Kobe’s lifetime achievement award.

yup, total joke. that and then the stupid stern veto on the trade to the lakers is just back luck that takes away from cp’s legacy. a championship with the suns (or two) would go a long way to separate him from stockton.

Yeah, I've probably seen Maravich on youtube as much as I did in the pros as a kid. Maravich would be #1 in style points.

I was looking up some stuff on old 70s basketball a while back. So here's a good trivia question for you - where did Charlie Scott, Dr J and George Gervin begin their pro careers?

ABA.

I don’t think you can that easily put Curry over CP3.

I can and I did.

CP3 is an outstanding floor general. His passing and defense are better than Curry. Curry's shooting ability is simply phenomenal. He may be the best of all time. That's why Curry has rings and CP3 doesn't.

I see curry as a lead guard and cp3 as the classic pg. Different players. Both are great. Tough to compare 1:1. .

I'd put curry in a category of players that transcend the game for their generation and change the way its played. Jordan, LeBron, Wilt etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Great teammates for sure. It is a requirement to win NBA championships. It always has been.

Curry changed the game of basketball by changing the nature of offense from the NBA down to high school. He made the three point shot a must have weapon for every player and every team. The game of basketball is entirely different because Steph Curry demonstrated the advantage of great three point shooting. Very few players have changed how the game of basketball is played. Stephen Curry did.

Really hope he gets a title this year. He deserves it. I hope he is well rested and healthy for the playoffs. Last year looked like his year until the hand issues.

People need to fuck right off with this “Stockton is better than Paul” bullshit. Having watched both, it ain’t even close. Paul is just better.

interesting conversation and i think i am sort of in the same boat as a lot of you guys. my list:

Magic
Oscar Robertson
John Stockton
Isiah Thomas
Stephen Curry

from here is gets much tougher...

Chris Paul
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Gary Payton (maybe)

then you have the other current group that can make the list...

1. MAGIC

2. OSCAR is a close second...thanks to Warak for putting him down finally...how do you leave him off?

3. Everybody else.

Someone says it every year but I’ll say it again. It’s awesome that we produced someone who is in the argument for the greatest point guard of all time, and we produced the greatest power forward of all time, and we don’t have a championship or even a final four to show for it. This is your moment Steve Forbes!

Curry isn’t a point guard. He’s a shooting guard that dribbles the ball up the court. Dribbling the ball up the court doesn’t make you a point guard.

Curry isn’t a point guard. He’s a shooting guard that dribbles the ball up the court. Dribbling the ball up the court doesn’t make you a point guard.

Dude averages 6.5 assists a game for his career.

More specifically, the Virginia Squires. That name is even worse than the Cavaliers. It's the Virginia Landed Gentry. They were only around a few years due to poor attendance and $$ problems. They were based in Tidewater but played in Richmond and Roanoke too.

More specifically, the Virginia Squires. That name is even worse than the Cavaliers. It's the Virginia Landed Gentry. They were only around a few years due to poor attendance and $$ problems. They were based in Tidewater but played in Richmond and Roanoke too.
Thank you, good call! The Squires were epic at bungling things, they could’ve had star studded rosters but needed money so badly they had to sell those contracts on the cheap.

My first pro basketball game as a fan was an ABA game: Nuggets at Squires. Norfolk Scope was the venue I think. It was one of the best attended game of the Squires’ season because Denver had DT. Also trivia: Monte Towe was on the roster (rumor was that was a condition DT insisted on to sign with Denver). Nuggets won, DT had a bunch of points.

People need to fuck right off with this “Stockton is better than Paul” bullshit. Having watched both, it ain’t even close. Paul is just better.
This.

Stockton was incredible, obviously one of the all time best, and racked up massive cumulative assist and steal totals. But CP3 is simply better. Not by a huge margin, but he’s the superior player. Stockton never averaged as many points as CP. Stockton had more assists but he played all those years alongside an unstoppable scorer at power forward.

Magic
CP
Stockton

Curry must get consideration, but the game is played at both ends of the floor. He’s off the charts on offense but not even in the conversation on defense.

Back