Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GOAT PG Discussion

GOAT PG Discussion

Sorry if this has been beat to death before.

What Chris Paul is doing in his age 36 season is pretty incredible. Is his peak and longevity enough to overcome his lack of playoff success.

Who is the greatest PG in history? And where does Chris Paul fit into the discussion?

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever

GOAT PG Discussion

Iíve always thought Stockton was the best comp for CP and CP needs a few more years to catch up to him.

Steph is the greatest PG of this generation. CP is second. Both are in a top 5 with Magic, Stockton, and Isiah.

This is a great time for PGs. Harden, Westbrook, and Kyrie are among the all time greats. Trae, Luka, Ja, and LaMelo will be. And there are plenty other very good PGs and even plenty of quality backups.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 01-21-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Iíve always thought Stockton was the best comp for CP and CP needs a few more years to catch up to him.

Steph is the greatest PG of this generation. CP is second. Both are in a top 5 with Magic, Stockton, and Isiah.

This is a great time for PGs. Harden, Westbrook, and Kyrie are among the all time greats. Trae, Luka, Ja, and LaMelo will be. And there are plenty other very good PGs and even plenty of quality backups.
    Not sure I agree with the Steph GOAT reference. Heís a phenomenal player but no way compares to some of the greatest PGs of all time. Heís a premier scorer that can get his shot of quickly and pull up from anywhere after he steps over the timeline! Heís not a pass first, traditional point that makes everyone better on the floor. No way his traditional PGs numbers compare to the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon93 View Post
    Not sure I agree with the Steph GOAT reference. Heís a phenomenal player but no way compares to some of the greatest PGs of all time. Heís a premier scorer that can get his shot of quickly and pull up from anywhere after he steps over the timeline! Heís not a pass first, traditional point that makes everyone better on the floor. No way his traditional PGs numbers compare to the greats.
    Steph doesnít have to be a traditional pass first PG to make every one of his teammates better. Defenses are so scared of him shooting that his teammates all get much easier drive lanes and much more open looks. Thatís worth essentially as much as passing to get his teammates open.

GOAT PG Discussion

The Athletic is running a series on top 75 players of all time. They have CP at 30, Isaiah Thomas at 26, and Stockton at 25. Oscar Robertson, Curry and Magic will be higher (they are at #21 right now in the countdown).

Message Board Genius
    Magic.

Whatís the argument for having Isaiah Thomas ahead of Chris? I donít see that one.

Message Board Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by MHBDemon View Post
    Whatís the argument for having Isaiah Thomas ahead of Chris? I donít see that one.
    Isiah.

Message Board Genius
    He's got two rings and an NBA Finals MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    He's got two rings and an NBA Finals MVP.
    Yep. He was the best player on one of the top franchises of the 80s along with the Celtics, Lakers, and Sixers.

Stockton has that argument for the Jazz in the 90s although without the rings.

CPs teams havenít been among the best in the 00s and 10s. CPís rep has been for elevating bad teams. Thatís good but not the same as making the Finals. Maybe the Suns will be one of the top franchises in the 20s.

true

and the answer is magic

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Magic.
    In my life, at least.

CP is definitely in the Magic/Thomas/Stockton tier.

Y'all convinced me that Magic is probably the GOAT, but I'm if/when CP wins a ring, I think it gets more interesting.
    We're going to be good again.

My Top 10 in my lifetime

Magic
    Steph
    Stockton
    Isiah
    CP
    Nash
    Kidd
    GP
    Harden
    Kyrie

Steph is nominally a PG, but it feels weird to me to have him as a PG? The magic of the Warriors is that they have 3 distributors on the floor at all times (4 when KD was there, too).
    We're going to be good again.

I donít know much about Win Shares metric, but Isaiah is 160th, sandwiched between Zach Randolph and Carlos Boozer.

an underrated part of CP's game is that he turns it over a lot less than other guys in the discussion

Isiah: 3.76 per game
    Magic: 3.87
    Steph: 3.1
    CP: 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by MHBDemon View Post
    I donít know much about Win Shares metric, but Isaiah is 160th, sandwiched between Zach Randolph and Carlos Boozer.
    LOL