Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GOAT PG Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    CP should have an MVP too. Were it not for Kobeís lifetime achievement award.
    yup, total joke. that and then the stupid stern veto on the trade to the lakers is just back luck that takes away from cpís legacy. a championship with the suns (or two) would go a long way to separate him from stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    Yeah, I've probably seen Maravich on youtube as much as I did in the pros as a kid. Maravich would be #1 in style points.

I was looking up some stuff on old 70s basketball a while back. So here's a good trivia question for you - where did Charlie Scott, Dr J and George Gervin begin their pro careers?
    ABA.

I donít think you can that easily put Curry over CP3.

I can and I did.

CP3 is an outstanding floor general. His passing and defense are better than Curry. Curry's shooting ability is simply phenomenal. He may be the best of all time. That's why Curry has rings and CP3 doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    That's why Curry has rings and CP3 doesn't.
    Klay, Dray, KD, and Iggy say hey
    We're going to be good again.

I see curry as a lead guard and cp3 as the classic pg. Different players. Both are great. Tough to compare 1:1. .

I'd put curry in a category of players that transcend the game for their generation and change the way its played. Jordan, LeBron, Wilt etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

how many of these guys have the nickname point god?

Gary Payton is criminally underrated.

Great teammates for sure. It is a requirement to win NBA championships. It always has been.

Curry changed the game of basketball by changing the nature of offense from the NBA down to high school. He made the three point shot a must have weapon for every player and every team. The game of basketball is entirely different because Steph Curry demonstrated the advantage of great three point shooting. Very few players have changed how the game of basketball is played. Stephen Curry did.

Really hope he gets a title this year. He deserves it. I hope he is well rested and healthy for the playoffs. Last year looked like his year until the hand issues.

Rusty Larue
    People need to fuck right off with this ďStockton is better than PaulĒ bullshit. Having watched both, it ainít even close. Paul is just better.

Quote Originally Posted by warak View Post
    interesting conversation and i think i am sort of in the same boat as a lot of you guys. my list:

Magic
    Oscar Robertson
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Stephen Curry

from here is gets much tougher...

Chris Paul
    Jason Kidd
    Steve Nash
    Gary Payton (maybe)

then you have the other current group that can make the list...
    1. MAGIC

2. OSCAR is a close second...thanks to Warak for putting him down finally...how do you leave him off?

3. Everybody else.

GOAT PG Discussion

Someone says it every year but Iíll say it again. Itís awesome that we produced someone who is in the argument for the greatest point guard of all time, and we produced the greatest power forward of all time, and we donít have a championship or even a final four to show for it. This is your moment Steve Forbes!

Curry isnít a point guard. Heís a shooting guard that dribbles the ball up the court. Dribbling the ball up the court doesnít make you a point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonbeck View Post
    Curry isnít a point guard. Heís a shooting guard that dribbles the ball up the court. Dribbling the ball up the court doesnít make you a point guard.
    Point guard is so last century.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonbeck View Post
    Dude averages 6.5 assists a game for his career.

Tony Parker should be top 10. 4 rings! Finals MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackMc View Post
    ABA.
    More specifically, the Virginia Squires. That name is even worse than the Cavaliers. It's the Virginia Landed Gentry. They were only around a few years due to poor attendance and $$ problems. They were based in Tidewater but played in Richmond and Roanoke too.

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    More specifically, the Virginia Squires. That name is even worse than the Cavaliers. It's the Virginia Landed Gentry. They were only around a few years due to poor attendance and $$ problems. They were based in Tidewater but played in Richmond and Roanoke too.
    Thank you, good call! The Squires were epic at bungling things, they couldíve had star studded rosters but needed money so badly they had to sell those contracts on the cheap.

My first pro basketball game as a fan was an ABA game: Nuggets at Squires. Norfolk Scope was the venue I think. It was one of the best attended game of the Squiresí season because Denver had DT. Also trivia: Monte Towe was on the roster (rumor was that was a condition DT insisted on to sign with Denver). Nuggets won, DT had a bunch of points.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconSig View Post
    People need to fuck right off with this ďStockton is better than PaulĒ bullshit. Having watched both, it ainít even close. Paul is just better.
    This.

Stockton was incredible, obviously one of the all time best, and racked up massive cumulative assist and steal totals. But CP3 is simply better. Not by a huge margin, but heís the superior player. Stockton never averaged as many points as CP. Stockton had more assists but he played all those years alongside an unstoppable scorer at power forward.

Magic
    CP
    Stockton

Curry must get consideration, but the game is played at both ends of the floor. Heís off the charts on offense but not even in the conversation on defense.