• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Plan my national park trip

deacfan123

Reaction score
Looking at doing a Yellowstone/Teton anniversary trip this August. Don't know much about it all, but thinking of doing a 5night/4day trip outlined as following:

Fly into Bozeman-Stay in Gardiner that night.
Do yellowstone day 1, upper things/make our way towards old faithful
Stay in West Yellowstone (Or in yellowstone somewhere?)
Do the bottom half of yellowstone and finish in Jackson where we stay the next 3 nights.

Next 2 days: Tetons/Jackson anything cool in there.
Leave from Jackson day 5.

Anyone have any critiques or experiences doing something similar? Apologies if this is covered in another thread, would love any and all advice.

Bring lots of oranges and steaks to feed the bears. Especially the moms with bear cubs. We got some great pictures for our Christmas letter.

I'll be there in July so also following for any tips. I don't think you can stay in Yellowstone at this point - I had to book a room at Old Faithful Inn a year ahead of time. But if it's just for one night you might luck out. Check the Xanterra website and they lay out all the options in a grid and show availability. Based on my limited research of Tetons/Jackson, you will find plenty of things to do and will want to be there at least two days. But it is $$$. We are doing a Tues - Tues because the flights are also $$$ and this was the most reasonable option.

Jackson is my favorite small town in America. It's great. Go to the Gun Barrel for wild game/steaks and the obligatory Cowboy Bar. Snake River brewing is cool We've only stayed up at Teton Village, but that's unnecessary in the summer.

Plan ahead. Everything is crowded and some need reservations

I'll be there in July so also following for any tips. I don't think you can stay in Yellowstone at this point - I had to book a room at Old Faithful Inn a year ahead of time. But if it's just for one night you might luck out. Check the Xanterra website and they lay out all the options in a grid and show availability. Based on my limited research of Tetons/Jackson, you will find plenty of things to do and will want to be there at least two days. But it is $$$. We are doing a Tues - Tues because the flights are also $$$ and this was the most reasonable option.

If it is like last summer rooms will open up fairly regularly. You just have to check often.

They were having staffing issues big time. Maybe that will be better this summer. Food in the park is terrible. We liked The Corral in Gardiner. I recommend the elk burger.

Snowball fight at the top of the pass as a way to celebrate July 4.

What does this trip look like crowd wise in the middle of September?

Almost perfect? I say almost because Jackson is always expensive. But the weather is ideal. We were there in Sep '20 it's a great time of year for exploring / hiking / cycling in the parks. Warm during the days...cool at night.

Back