• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“I love Steve Forbes so damn much!”

One of the more exciting aspects of this turn around is the great story Forbes can now tell recruits.
Have to believe we are going be in the mix for major talent going forward.

LaRavia and Monsanto were top players in their previous conferences. Manman and Sy were well traveled guys who were, at best, role players on their most recent previous teams. Walton was a starter previously who was still working his way back from knee surgery that cost him his sophmore season.

Pretty impressive that Forbes found two gems buried in their previous teams' rockpiles, convinced two top of conference guys to join him at Wake and convinced a still recovering big man to make a 2000 mile trip.

Something else to consider about the value of Forbes' JUCO experience is not just the experience in rebuilding rosters year-over-year, but the player development that precedes the roster turnover.

When a kid goes to a JUCO part of what you're selling them is that you'll be able to get them a transfer to a D1 school. No one goes to play ball at a JUCO and stay there. Forbes' experience in being a "seller" in the transfer market must pay dividends now being a "buyer" since he is more well suited to evaluate transfer talent and to sift through the lemons. He knows what to look for and what to avoid since a literal measure of success as a JUCO coach is getting your kids to transfer up.

Last edited:
you know who loves steve forbes? ManMan. That dude has played himself from a part time bench guy into a staring role in the ACC. even if he does not stick in the nba, and he should get a shot, he'll be in a good league next year.

you know who loves steve forbes? ManMan. That dude has played himself from a part time bench guy into a staring role in the ACC. even if he does not stick in the nba, and he should get a shot, he'll be in a good league next year.

If Manman tightens up his ball handling, he will find a spot on some NBA bench next season.

you know who loves steve forbes? ManMan. That dude has played himself from a part time bench guy being first team All-ACC maybe ACC POY. even if he does not stick in the nba, and he should get a shot, he'll be in a good league next year.

Fixed.

He seems like the type of guy who puts up 15/5/5 in 25 minutes in a random NBA game and people are like “Who is Alondes Williams?”

I think I posted it earlier, but Alondes' decision to come to Wake is probably worth millions in future earnings, no matter how long he sticks around the NBA or some minor league.

Forbes being a former JUCO coach means he knows EVERYONE in coaching circles too. As someone else mentioned, he went from being a net "seller" to now a net "buyer" of talent, so his years of sending kids off to D1 schools is paying off. Pretty sure we got Laravia bc the Indiana St coach was fired, happens to be close with Forbes, and nudged Jake to come play for us.

I love Alondes' attitude. He never loses his cool. He has a great influence on his teammates. In this, he reminds me of Anthony Teachey, one of my all-time favorite Deacs.

I love Alondes' attitude. He never loses his cool. He has a great influence on his teammates. In this, he reminds me of Anthony Teachey, one of my all-time favorite Deacs.

Loved that team of Teachey, Rudd and Young while I was roaming the hallowed halls at MSD. Great times!

Loved that team of Teachey, Rudd and Young while I was roaming the hallowed halls at MSD. Great times!

We were on the road a lot in Feb and March 84 but St Louis regional was special. Youngest son conceived there after we retired Ray Meyer.

We were on the road a lot in Feb and March 84 but St Louis regional was special. Youngest son conceived there after we retired Ray Meyer.

550884f5-d604-41bd-a741-222f26e1ec4e_text.gif

Forbes is a combination of Carl Tacy’s basketball strategic acumen crossed with Skip Prosser’s charisma and ability to relate to everyone.

I'm just saying Deacs weren't in our own beds much from midFeb into March that year. Durham, College Park, Charlottesville, GBoro, Lincoln Nebraska! then St Louis.

Well then, whose bed were y'all in? Do I smell a paternity suit in the making?

Well then, whose bed were y'all in? Do I smell a paternity suit in the making?

Deacs were a traveling team in that stretch. Hyatt bed I think. Paternity is undeniable. DOB was 9 months later, 12/17/84.
Nuf said on this topic. I am Forbes doppelgänger.

Back