• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
well when your generation is trying to give us the goon sax.....

an interesting article for sure. hard for "new" music to make an impact when everyone can have their own radio station

plus when was the last time someone dropped a tune as sick as Fortunate Son

an interesting article for sure. hard for "new" music to make an impact when everyone can have their own radio station

plus when was the last time someone dropped a tune as sick as Fortunate Son

I think the dissolution of traditional “radio” play has made a huge impact on the discovery of new music. Most everyone now curates their own playlists either by picking each song or by using services like Pandora that create algorithm playlists based on your tastes. It’s more difficult today to passively discover new music, vs the past when you passively listened to a radio station or watched MTV.

I think the dissolution of traditional “radio” play has made a huge impact on the discovery of new music. Most everyone now curates their own playlists either by picking each song or by using services like Pandora that create algorithm playlists based on your tastes. It’s more difficult today to passively discover new music, vs the past when you passively listened to a radio station or watched MTV.

i'm also guilty of not having a lot of patience with new music (or TV shows). the old "i only have x amount of time i'd rather just listen to a podcast or the Blue album again"

I pretty much don't listen to new music unless it's a newly released live album, a new remaster of an old album from the Beatles or someone, or a stream from Nugs.net of a recently played show.

There’s just a lot more music to choose from nowadays. It’s a wholly predictable issue even on traditional radio. When I was a kid, oldies music was songs from maybe the 50s and the 60s. Those are still popular now and 80s music is the old school. It’s not like any music is dropping out of canon.

You know what's killing new music ? American Idol and shit like that.

All art exists on a even plane nowadays. New music used to be easier to access which gave it an edge. Not anymore.

maybe the "new" music is objectively worse

I think it is. Music circa 1991 sucked. REM was one of the best bands around and they were churning out shit like Shiny Happy People while Whitney Houston was fucking Bobby Brown. GnR was vomiting all over the airwaves. That laid the groundwork for Grunge.

maybe music distribution models changed

Prince was ahead of his time wrt music rights and distribution.

I agree with pretty much every post on this thread. lots of factors.

makes me think of growing up in WS and going to Reznicks and later Record Exchange and asking the older kids who worked there about bands and musicians and then buying a record off that discussion. For better or worse, it led me through the styles and I got older and meandered through pop and rock and punk and new wave and psychedelia and soul and back around a few times and also made great friends and got excited about learning to play an instrument and put a combo together with my pals. I don't think it is worse or better now, because I dreamed back then of having easy and cheap access to any record I wanted to hear. The radio pretty much sucked so it was 6 or 8 bucks a pop on an album. now for $10 a month the whole canon is at your fingertips but a little of magic is gone I guess

Same is true for musicians - it is cheap and easy to record yourself now with amazing sonic quality, and you can get it out to ears across the world for nothing. But it is oversaturated and homogenized as a result

Back