• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/special-ukraine-explain-2/id1574741668?i=1000551585616

“Danny and Derek give another update on Ukraine in light of what appears to be a Russian escalation.”

Daniel Bessner:
http://danielbessner.com
Daniel Bessner currently holds the Joff Hanauer Honors Professorship in Western Civilization at the University of Washington. He is a member of the Henry M. Jackson School of International Studies and was previously the Anne H.H. and Kenneth B. Pyle Associate Professor in American Foreign Policy. He is also a Non-Resident Fellow at the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft and a Contributing Editor at Jacobin. In 2019-2020, he served as a foreign policy advisor to Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign.

Daniel is an intellectual historian of U.S. foreign relations. He is the author of Democracy in Exile: Hans Speier and the Rise of the Defense Intellectual (Cornell, 2018), which you may order here.

He is also co-editor, with Nicolas Guilhot, of The Decisionist Imagination: Sovereignty, Social Science, and Democracy in the Twentieth Century (Berghahn, 2019).

Daniel has published scholarly articles in several journals and has also published pieces in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Guardian, n+1, and other venues.

Derek Davison:
https://www.commondreams.org/author/derek-davison
Derek Davison is a Washington-based researcher and writer on international affairs and American politics. He has Master's degrees in Middle East Studies from the University of Chicago, where he specialized in Iranian history and policy, and in Public Policy and Management from Carnegie Mellon University, where he studied American foreign policy and Russian/Cold War history.

Last edited:
Can you give a quick summary?

Can you give a quick summary?

My infant is screaming at me right now while we are sleep training her, so not really lol, it’s only about 20 minutes long - I would actually really appreciate someone else on this thread listening to it so that I could compare our reactions to it.

It’s from 3 days ago. Is it still relevant?

So I listened to it admittedly while I was paying attention to some ugly basketball between Louisville and UNC.

I thought the lead guy focused too much on a massive invasion and I was glad that he admitted that he was distracted by that. I found that interesting because we’ve been focused more on Putin trying to see what he can get away with or open a rift in NATO and ultimately just expand the sphere of influence. He was talking about rumors of mass kidnapping and slaughters and dismissing them. Podcasters have the luxury of doing that but world leaders don’t even if they are unlikely.

Last edited:
"Allow Putin to send troops" or "Kill my entire family?" When you put it that way.

mdmh nods

Far right neo-nazis on both sides, I don’t have a dog in the fight. Russia doesn’t want a NATO border country and Ukraine doesn’t want to be controlled by Russia. Me personally I just don’t want WW3.

Well Poland is in NATO, so once they annex Ukraine, what should we expect ?

Well Poland is in NATO, so once they annex Ukraine, what should we expect ?

That’s a good point, I should restate that Russia specifically doesn’t want Ukraine in NATO, as that has been Putins consistent demand for the past few years - that Ukraine never be allowed membership. The other Russia-bordering NATO countries have been in NATO for at least a generation and it doesn’t appear that Russia has tried to dispute them. I will admit I don’t know much about Russia invading Georgia and what precipitated that.

Last edited:
It seems like Ukraine wants to be in NATO or at least be aligned with NATO and does not want to be within the Russian sphere of influence. So to what extent should we support their wishes?

Last edited:
Doesn’t want NATO on his doorstep, got some bad news about Kaliningrad then.

MDMH has some MAGA company

MDMH has some MAGA company

If I had the free time I would MSPaint myself into that Jill Stein Moscow dinner party photo, but alas you’ll just have to use your imagination.

Back