• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

To what extent is the leader of a kleptocracy immune from sanctions? Could sanctions hurt the global economy more than they hurt Russian oligarchs?

Its Europe's dependence on Russia's natural gas that's the real issue. Energy dependence and what we do to secure it is the plague of our modern era.

Well that and greed. Our society will look the other way as long as we can enrich ourselves. We are barbarians.

It’s crazy that this war is being live tweeted, hell there’s a traffic jam according to google maps as Russian tank columns cross the border.

Pretty crazy that less than a week ago, the most public example of Russia openly defying the rules and getting away with it was on a figure skating rink in Beijing.

I feel like this is about to get nuts

This isn’t as much about Russian “security” as the greed, bullying and bruised ego of Russian authoritarianism.

Severe coordinated sanctions and condemnation is about what we can and should do…probably.

Last edited:
Already seeing posts on facebook and other social media saying that if Trump were still POTUS this would never have happened. Apparently the news that Trump called Putin a genius and "savvy" hasn't reached them yet (or, more likely, they just refuse to believe he said it).

Trump himself says both things.

I mean, of course he’s as unhelpful and full of full of self-aggrandizing bullshit as ever. And only idiots buy his perpetual con. Unfortunately, there are too many idiots among us.

There’s no point in the discussion if you are going to be disingenuous to the extreme. Presumably your understanding of the term imperialism isn’t limited to the rules of a boardgame. Consider how much of our global military presence is dedicated to controlling and protecting American investments in foreign markets. Jesus fuck, we have an actual real life US territory 1000 miles from Miami that we have literally neglected in favor of spending *trillions* of dollars protecting middle eastern oil reserves.

Oops

This isn’t as much about Russian “security” as the greed, bullying and bruised ego of Russian authoritarianism.

Several coordinated sanctions and condemnation is about what we can and should do…probably.

I don't see how this is going to end well in any scenario. Russia seems hell bent to take over the Ukraine. No amount of sanctions or political diplomacy is going to convince Russia to stop. The Ukraine doesn't have the forces to stop them. Adding allied forces in Ukraine/show of force might just start a world war. If the Ukraine surrenders, does Putin just stop there?

People do realize that Trumps first impeachment was due to his trying to intimidate the Ukrainian government and that he spent the last 4 years lower NATO spending and weakening the organization, right? Like that’s not political that’s factual.

People do realize that Trumps first impeachment was due to his trying to intimidate the Ukrainian government and that he spent the last 4 years lower NATO spending and weakening the organization, right? Like that’s not political that’s factual.

Yep. He helped set the stage for Putin to do this.

Of course.

But he’s not in office and knows anyone dumb enough to trust him will buy anything he’s selling.

Already seeing posts on facebook and other social media saying that if Trump were still POTUS this would never have happened. Apparently the news that Trump called Putin a genius and "savvy" hasn't reached them yet (or, more likely, they just refuse to believe he said it).

He literally withdrew us from the treaty that largely allowed us to monitor Russian troop movements.

That said, we are looking at the result of 8 years of feckless "sanctions." First Obama, then Trump and now Biden have allowed this to fester since the invasion of Georgia in 2014. Trump wouldn't have done anything different.

What really worries me is we are going to try to back China into a corner to take a stand against Russia, and when China doesn't I feel like we are on the brink of something far worse.

Everything I said in that post is true. Absolutely moronic of you to state that imperialism requires planting a flag elsewhere when economics accomplishes the same

Last edited:
MAGAts would just say that Trump's alpha male manliness singlehandedly stopped Putin from moving aggressively, and that we never needed any of those treaties. As if "I'm the only person in America who can stop this guy" is a sustainable foreign policy and makes you a good president.

Back