• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

Countries freely joining NATO because they’re rightly afraid of Russian invasion or domination doesn’t strike me as imperialistic.

I don’t think the US will go to war over Ukraine. But if Biden and NATO can deter a Russian invasion with diplomacy and a show strength that is the best case scenario for everyone including Russia.

Agreed. I just don't think Putin is interested in that as long as NATO keeps knocking on his door.

Does Putin think NATO is gonna invade Russia?

I don’t think so.

It’s about dishonestly grasping for dictatorial power in order to dominate and control/exploit your neighboring states…yes?

agreed. Germany is a critical NATO partner. with Russia threatening Ukraine and Germany becoming more dependent on Russia's pipeline this was not the time to be damaging our relationship with Germany by licking the boots of putin.

the "not the puppet. you're the puppet." moment was breathtaking in its obvious subservience. one of many i suppose. then again I'd rather be a Russian than a democRAT.

Germany has a population of 85 million and the 4th highest GDP in the world. Just because we are allies doesn’t mean we should keep a standing military presence in their country.

Germany has a population of 85 million and the 4th highest GDP in the world. Just because we are allies doesn’t mean we should keep a standing military presence in their country.

As i said, its about the timing during this specific situation.

It has nothing to do with us being their ally. It's in the best interest of our national defense to keep a standing army in Germany as a deterrent to Russia and by further extension China.

Our presence in Europe, and as the key member of NATO, is what allows for a stable European union.

It has nothing to do with us being their ally. It's in the best interest of our national defense to keep a standing army in Germany as a deterrent to Russia and by further extension China.

Our presence in Europe, and as the key member of NATO, is what allows for a stable European union.

None of this explains why that goal requires those 12,000 US troops.

Being based and living in Germany >>> the shit hole places in America a lot of bases are located

There is a population of hundreds of millions of NATO members in Europe to deter Russia. France and Germany together have a larger population than Russia with double its GDP. They don’t need an American military presence there. We aren’t the world police.

What is DSA for? Being against militarization and interventionism seems to be a fairly mainstream stance here. But I don't know if doing nothing is an actual option.

Not in general but in this case, yes. Do you think this is going to boost Biden’s poll numbers? Probably not.

Isolationism and head in the sand military policy hasn't worked out well for us in the past.

All four of these things have the merits and pitfalls.

Like remember when we intervened in Bosnia ? That's probably the best intervention we've had since WWII (yes, I know we were attacked at Pearl Harbor).

Like remember when we intervened in Bosnia ? That's probably the best intervention we've had since WWII (yes, I know we were attacked at Pearl Harbor).

Maybe you should listen to both sides before you come to a conclusion.

to be fair, we were meddling in WWII way before PH

Not really. Churchill was furious with us for sitting on our hands. Pearl was the event that caused us to change our posture from isolationist with a standing army of a few hundred thousand to a wartime posture with millions of soldiers and the full might of the American industrial workforce behind them.

I suggest reading Eisenhower's "Crusade In Europe" where he details the logistical problems we had in spinning up our military forces after Pearl.

So you think the Russian false flag was going to be real or just deep faked?

Not really. Churchill was furious with us for sitting on our hands. Pearl was the event that caused us to change our posture from isolationist with a standing army of a few hundred thousand to a wartime posture with millions of soldiers and the full might of the American industrial workforce behind them.

I suggest reading Eisenhower's "Crusade In Europe" where he details the logistical problems we had in spinning up our military forces after Pearl.

only if you're looking at war in Europe and excluding Lend lease, loans and the shadow stuff like convoy protection activities starting in 1939

but yeah, we were officially neutral

Back