• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Five Songs for My Funeral

I might die this week and not have the playlist ready for the funeral service (not planning to die and in no known eminent danger). So, if I die, please delete my browser history, then make sure they play these five songs at my funeral:

Elevation - U2: play this one really loud. Get the organist to join in with the Edge's guitar riff.
Ruff Ryder's Anthem - DMX: Obvious choice for a Real American
American Trilogy - Elvis: Another obvious choice for a Real American
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Jim Croce: Not really by Croce, just wanted to see if you were paying attention. This song puts things into perspective.
Mountain Jam - The Allman Brothers Band: You need to be at the service long enough for the shrooms to really hit you.

I have a playlist called "When I Die" that both my wife and my best friend know about. Pretty cheesy, but whatever:

Brokedown Palace (Live) 5:48 Grateful Dead Dead Set (Live) Rock 0 2
My Way 4:36 Frank Sinatra Nothing But the Best (Remastered) Vocal Pop 0 5
Don't You (Forget About Me) 4:21 Simple Minds The Breakfast Club (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) Soundtrack 0 8
Morning Dew (Live in London) 11:41 Grateful Dead Europe '72 (Live) Rock 0 8
Keep Me in Your Heart 3:45 Trampled By Turtles Sigourney Fever - EP Singer/Songwriter 0 26
Something 3:02 The Beatles Abbey Road (Remastered) Rock 0 4
Don't Worry, Be Happy 4:54 Bobby McFerrin Simple Pleasures Pop 0 1
Will the Circle Be Unbroken 4:53 Gregg Allman Laid Back Rock 0 12
Three Little Birds (Alternate Mix) 2:57 Bob Marley Songs Of Freedom (Disc 3) Reggae/Ska 0 8
A Higher Place 3:55 Tom Petty Wildflowers & All the Rest (Super Deluxe Edition) Rock 0 11
Thank You 4:49 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II (Remastered) Rock 0 10
Wonderful Tonight 3:45 Eric Clapton Slowhand Rock 0 3
Amy 3:46 Ryan Adams Heartbreaker Alternative 0 63
Burn the Honeysuckle 3:35 The Gourds Heavy Ornamentals Rock 0 1
Good Fortune 3:13 Todd Snider The Excitement Plan Singer/Songwriter 0 1

Pardon the poor formatting...

How about these, Biff, from the Grateful Dead: "He's Gone", and "Standing on the Moon"?

I am not having a funeral. Just having my ashes spread down by the river where my wife and I got married by whatever family members are left. I abhor funerals, especially viewings.

Oh couldn't agree more. Way too may insane viewings in my lifetime to ever agree to one.
Myself, Ive left instructions to have my ass cremated and the ashes thrown in the 9th greenside bunker.
I'm in that SOB enough anyway.

Lol

Definitely no viewing for me.

My preference would be just a simple “green” burial. Don’t want a coffin, vault, etc. And NO embalming.

Or throw my body out in the ocean.

Recycling is the idea for me.

Absolutely. Have a party tell some stories, close down a bar. Cremate me after, spread half my ashes in Telluride and half my ashes on the 18th hole at the Ocean Course.

OMG are you Phil Mickelson ?

I've given some thought to my burial, but not much. Used to be pretty opposed to cremation, but not anymore. No particular reason, just didn't like it. I'm not a fan of spreading my ashes. I think there should be a place where family can come visit you, and I guess whether it's 6 feet under or in a columbarium it doesn't really matter.

My wife and I have agreed to both be cremated. Don't know what kind of vessel she'll pick for my ashes (I'm seven years older than she), but after she dies her ashes will be added to mine. Our daughters can decide what happens to the ashes.

I have one song for my memorial - "Life Without You" by SRV. Our godson will try to do that song justice. He's a part-time singer/guitarist. My wife is leaning towards Clapton's "Tears in Heaven". If she dies first I might add "Unforgettable' or "Ginger" by Caroline England.

I would like my un-embalmed body to be eaten by vultures when I die.

Vulture (1963)

I had walked since dawn and lay down to rest on a bare hillside
Above the ocean. I saw through half-shut eyelids a vulture wheeling high up in heaven,
And presently it passed again, but lower and nearer, its orbit narrowing, I understood then
That I was under inspection. I lay death-still and heard the flight-feathers
Whistle above me and make their circle and come nearer.
I could see the naked red head between the great wings
Bear downward staring. I said, "My dear bird, we are wasting time here.
These old bones will still work; they are not for you."
But how beautiful he looked, gliding down
On those great sails; how beautiful he looked, veering
away in the sea-light over the precipice. I tell you solemnly
That I was sorry to have disappointed him. To be eaten
by that beak and become part of him, to share those wings and those eyes--
What a sublime end of one's body, what an enskyment;
What a life after death.

Robinson Jeffers

Back