• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MLB HOF Announcement

Lighten up Francis- I just thought it was interesting that Ortiz played over 2,000 innings in the field when most on this thread seem to think he was some kind of butcher that couldn't be trusted with a glove. He obviously didn't have the range of Keith Hernandez but yeah a fielding percentage of .990 for his career shows you that a manager could put him at first base and not have to worry about him losing the game because of errors. He also obviously benefited from Martinez getting in earlier as a DH but his numbers and postseason success most likely would have gotten him in as the first DH if there had been no martinez.

0.990 would be the 20th best FP among qualified 1Bs last season. First base tends to have an inflated fielding percentage because they get a lot of easy chances in the form of throws from their fellow infielders.

The steroid/PED exclusions are ridiculous. The extent of usage will never be known. Who did or didn't use will never be known, except for the few who tested positive or admitted their usage.

Personally, I'd vote for any player who I think belongs in the Hall of Fame. The only criteria is how they played the game on the field. When some of the greatest players to ever play the game are omitted for reasons off the field of play, the HoF no longer reflects the greatness it claims to honor.

Back