• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: WF Heads North To the Dome: Saturday 8 pm ACCN

This might be terrible but a lineup or Williamson , Williams, laravia, monsanto and muscius would be fun for a stretch. Williams and Laravia working foul line and baseline and the other three raining threes. Cuse isn't great rebounding team anyway.

I actually love that lineup against Cuse. Float Dallas and Sy in for Laravia/Mucius and pound them into submission.

Of course we've never won up there, but then again those were all with the last two idiots. We only played them once before they joined the ACC, in 01 when we lost in the Pre-season NIT, IIRC we were up and then they blitzed us or shut us down with the zone.

Of course the game is in the Carrier Dome (cuse must have hid a lot of keys in the snow), not always a shooter's paradise (all the better to go inside) so it's a unique environment to deal with that we don't see much or any of.

This is the season they are taking care of “old business”. Win @ UVA? Check. Win in ATL? Check. The big air conditioner is about to be shut down!

We have two players that are both built to destroy a zone from the foul line. Being able to get their shot from there, get to the basket and/or find open shooters easily. It was maddening that we didn't put Manman or Jake at the free throw line more than like 3 times the whole game in WS . Hopefully the staff uses them there this game.

Maybe having Daivien back will allow mamman to play off the ball more and kill the zone from within.

You gotta capitalize ManMan. <no f'n exclamation point.> #FACTS

Seems like CNY is going to avoid the snowstorm that the rest of the NE is getting slammed with. I think we kick Cuse’s ass and show we can win on the road. We’re a better team than the first time we played them.

syracuse has been playing and perfecting their zone for over a half century, so i think it’s a bit delusional to think that there are glaring weaknesses that we and other teams are just choosing not to exploit because they are dumb. i can’t remember who/when, but i recall a coach talk their ability to tweak their zone to take away whatever strategy that you think you would employ.

in the first game, they were giving us lots of threes but imo we got into trouble when we tried to force the ball inside into traffic, losing offensive rebounding position while also losing confidence in shooting those open outside shots.

syracuse has been playing and perfecting their zone for over a half century, so i think it’s a bit delusional to think that there are glaring weaknesses that we and other teams are just choosing not to exploit because they are dumb. i can’t remember who/when, but i recall a coach talk their ability to tweak their zone to take away whatever strategy that you think you would employ.

fair - but this particular Syracuse team's defensive efficiency is by far the worst for Syracuse since KP began tracking in 1997.

Over that time, their defense has been ranked outside the top 100 twice (2017 and 2020, both in the top 120). This year their defense ranks #220.

Edwards has fouled out of 10 of Syracuse's 20 games this year.

They are 5-5 in those games, so the correlation between him fouling out and them sucking isn't there to the degree I expected.

He only played 20 minutes against Wake Forest... His lowest minutes since November.

In ACC games: 34, 31, 34, 34, 20 (Wake), 38, 30, 31

fair - but this particular Syracuse team's defensive efficiency is by far the worst for Syracuse since KP began tracking in 1997.

Over that time, their defense has been ranked outside the top 100 twice (2017 and 2020, both in the top 120). This year their defense ranks #220.

no doubt, just saying that the strategy we learned on how to beat a zone from our middle school coach might not be as easy to execute against syracuse.

obviously there are tons we could have done better (e.g. making more open threes, getting out in transition) but looking at the numbers, the biggest issue was actually offensive rebounding. syracuse is a terrible defensive rebounding team -- only one team they've played had a worse OR% against them.

in the first game, they were giving us lots of threes but imo we got into trouble when we tried to force the ball inside into traffic, losing offensive rebounding position while also losing confidence in shooting those open outside shots.

In the game I watched Carter carved up their defense with his passing.

The last 10 min of the game went this way:

- from 2 5-6
- From 3 1-7
- From FT 5-10

In OT we were 0-1 from 3 and 3-5 from 2.

Seems we were successful inside.

Heard this stat:

- WF is in the 91st percentile of all teams in offensive efficiency of all teams against man to man defense
- WF is the 40th percentile of all team in offensive efficiency against a zone.

That said, WF has only played with both Williamson and Monsanto (arguably two of its most effective players against a zone) for the last 3 games. During that stretch WF's offensive efficiency has been elite.

Heard this stat:

- WF is in the 91st percentile of all teams in offensive efficiency of all teams against man to man defense
- WF is the 40th percentile of all team in offensive efficiency against a zone.

That said, WF has only played with both Williamson and Monsanto (arguably two of its most effective players against a zone) for the last 3 games. During that stretch WF's offensive efficiency has been elite.

Makes sense given we kind of looked like shit for the majority of the Syracuse game and that's most of the zone we've seen. Most of the other zone we've seen has been mixed in as a change of pace (Louisville?) and that also seemed to mess with us a bit.

I'm sure (at least I hope I'm sure) that with almost a full week to prepare for this one (and because this is the second time we've played Cuse this year), we should be ready to attack the zone properly.

This version of Syracuse is as bad at playing the zone as any team Boeheim has had. I'm sure Forbes and staff learned something from the first game. I would think the Syracuse staff did too. I suspect they will have some wrinkles to stop Whitt from dropping dimes down low.

With Williamson and Monsanto available this Saturday, Forbes has two more chess pieces he didn't have in the earlier game. Monsanto will need to be more selective in his shots. 1-6 would be bad.

We shot 36 threes against them the first time during regulation (8-20 in the first half and then went cold in the second half with 3-16). We also shot a lot of FTs and were poor from the line. If we shoot that many threes and whatever it was, 25 FTs again this time, we’re going to curb stomp them. Their zone is not that good and our ball movement gave us plenty of looks inside where we went 11-26 each half.

Our offensive rebounding was indeed pretty bad, but that’s to be expected somewhat against their Zone.

Can’t wait to see what Forbes does to attack their defense. It is so nice to care again. Go Deacs!

Carter had 6 assists and zero TO in 25 minutes against 'cuse. That was a big learning from that game. I assume 'cuse will try and mess with that, but Carter should get some good minutes in this game.

Also 'cuse had 21 fouls and we had 11, IIRC 'cuse supposedly doesn't foul a lot. Hopefully as a top 4 in the ACC we get some respect that we didn't get at 'ville and Miami.

Syracuse has played 9 ACC games plus 5 power-conference games

#smallsamplesize, but WF's offensive production per possession vs. Cuse in our first matchup ranked 11th of 14 (better than only FSU and Pitt x2)

if WF had performed at an average level among those 14 teams (and WF with Williamson and Monsanto is definitely better than the average of those teams) that would have been worth 7 more points in the first matchup.

Syracuse has played 9 ACC games plus 5 power-conference games

#smallsamplesize, but WF's offensive production per possession vs. Cuse in our first matchup ranked 11th of 14 (better than only FSU and Pitt x2)

if WF had performed at an average level among those 14 teams (and WF with Williamson and Monsanto is definitely better than the average of those teams) that would have been worth 7 more points in the first matchup.

The question remains: is the Syracuse defense better suited to stopping Wake's offense? Did Wake just have an off game? FSU and Pitt both like to get the ball inside on offense. Coincidence?

If the game in Winston showed anything, it was the importance of getting Edwards in foul trouble and then relentlessly attacking the rim.
100% agree this is a key. Edwards needs to play less than 20 minutes. He is too disruptive inside.

This game will be decided by the effectiveness of the Wake Forest defense. Forbes has stated that the team has played 40 minutes of D the past two games. The two games prior to that the team played outstanding D the final 10-14 minutes of the game. When this team is GGTT they win. The Syracuse zone can't sufficiently limit the Deacon offense to overcome the Deacs, if Wake is playing good defense.

Back