• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: WF Heads North To the Dome: Saturday 8 pm ACCN

I wouldn't say that we deserved to lose the first game against Cuse, but we were very lucky to win. I think we would have won easily in regulation if Williamson was playing, primarily because he's our best free throw shooter and all of our misses kept them in the game. We also have another level offensively with Monsanto that wasn't an option in that game. I like our chances Saturday.

I wouldn't say that we deserved to lose the first game against Cuse, but we were very lucky to win. I think we would have won easily in regulation if Williamson was playing, primarily because he's our best free throw shooter and all of our misses kept them in the game. We also have another level offensively with Monsanto that wasn't an option in that game. I like our chances Saturday.

FT's maybe, 37 3's definitely

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but other than hitting from 3, what we need most to break down Cuse’s zone…paint touches and getting to the FT line.

With Daivien back and Monsanto in the lineup, I think we are going to beat their ass. LFG

This is a different Wake Forest team than the dumpster fire we've experienced in the past decade of UwA. Typically, this would seem like a very difficult game and I would temper my expectations. But this isn't redacted or a dumb mannequin and the players on this team are not their players either. So...

IN FORBES I TRUST! Now go grind the orange into juice.
Go Deacs!

Need Jake to keep flashing to the middle of the zone and we need to be able to get the ball into the post and kick out when they collapse. I have faith that with Daivien and Monsanto playing we'll do a much better job of punishing them from 3 than we did last time. I also predict we won't have such a horrendous time from the free throw line this time. Need to take care of business.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but other than hitting from 3, what we need most to break down Cuse’s zone…paint touches and getting to the FT line.

With Daivien back and Monsanto in the lineup, I think we are going to beat their ass. LFG

Yup. Need to get the ball into the free throw line area and find a shooter.

Of course we've never won up there, but then again those were all with the last two idiots. We only played them once before they joined the ACC, in 01 when we lost in the Pre-season NIT, IIRC we were up and then they blitzed us or shut us down with the zone.

Of course the game is in the Carrier Dome (cuse must have hid a lot of keys in the snow), not always a shooter's paradise (all the better to go inside) so it's a unique environment to deal with that we don't see much or any of.

Plus Syracuse was playing much better before the first game.

They looked awful versus a bad Pitt team.

Lastly, normally would expect a Dome crazy crowd of 25,000+ for a big game with a 17-4 opponent. My take now is maybe 14,000....even with nothing else to do on a Saturday night in Syracuse.

Plus Syracuse was playing much better before the first game.

They looked awful versus a bad Pitt team.

Lastly, normally would expect a Dome crazy crowd of 25,000+ for a big game with a 17-4 opponent. My take now is maybe 14,000....even with nothing else to do on a Saturday night in Syracuse.

For the analytics geeks, what is our record in NIGHT games on Saturdays on the road in the past 15 years?

I am going to go with a guess of 8% win percentage.

Keep thinking about that game up there a few years ago when Dinos shot the eyes out and we still lost because Danny couldn’t coach any defense.

We have two players that are both built to destroy a zone from the foul line. Being able to get their shot from there, get to the basket and/or find open shooters easily. It was maddening that we didn't put Manman or Jake at the free throw line more than like 3 times the whole game in WS . Hopefully the staff uses them there this game.

Maybe having Daivien back will allow mamman to play off the ball more and kill the zone from within.

We have two players that are both built to destroy a zone from the foul line. Being able to get their shot from there, get to the basket and/or find open shooters easily. It was maddening that we didn't put Manman or Jake at the free throw line more than like 3 times the whole game in WS . Hopefully the staff uses them there this game.

Maybe having Daivien back will allow mamman to play off the ball more and kill the zone from within.

I get where you're coming from, for sure; but Alondes "on the ball" is a significant part of our success this season.

Yes top of the key man to man, he breaks down anyone. Against a zone "on the ball" at the free throw line with numbers and not having to break down both defenders up top is a much better position. Especially with his strength and ability to pass to opposite corner.

For the analytics geeks, what is our record in NIGHT games on Saturdays on the road in the past 15 years?

I am going to go with a guess of 8% win percentage.

This is ALL Saturday road games (didn't have start times) .. 99/00 through games so far this season ...

WLPFPA
Overall26660.28370.577.5
ACC19560.25370.878.4
Non-ACC7100.41269.273.5

Last edited:
This might be terrible but a lineup or Williamson , Williams, laravia, monsanto and muscius would be fun for a stretch. Williams and Laravia working foul line and baseline and the other three raining threes. Cuse isn't great rebounding team anyway.

I get where you're coming from, for sure; but Alondes "on the ball" is a significant part of our success this season.

Yea, you can’t take him off the ball. But Forbes staggers lineups so that we almost always have a facilitator on the floor. It’s especially important when Jake is the first option, imo.

This is ALL Saturday road games (didn't have start times) .. 99/00 through games so far this season ...

WLPFPA
Overall26660.28370.577.5
ACC19560.25370.878.4
Non-ACC7100.41269.273.5

Awesome. I have always believed college kids/college basketball players get more jacked up for NIGHT games at home on the weekends, especially Saturday. Some obvious reasons why.

So, it looks like we have won 25% of our total Saturday ACC road games in the past 2+ decades, and I will take the leap to presume under 20% of our Saturday, road NIGHT games.

It must be maddening for coaches to gameplan for an offense with a wing and a big wing who are the leading scorers and primary playmakers. The big can finish, do a little shot creation, and make the occasional three. Then two shooters at least one of who is effective going to the basket.

And that’s the lineup for all but maybe 5 minutes of the game. When one of the leading scorers is out, you likely face three shooters or two bigs or a traditional PG which is a different challenge.

If the game in Winston showed anything, it was the importance of getting Edwards in foul trouble and then relentlessly attacking the rim.

Back