• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Tournament: A History of ACC Men’s Basketball" Premieres Feb. 7 on ACC Network

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
"The Tournament: A History of ACC Men’s Basketball" Premieres Feb. 7 on ACC Network

This could be pretty cool.

Two episodes of the 10-part documentarry will air each Monday at 9 and 10 p.m. ET through March 7.

ACC Network and ESPN Films are teaming up to produce a multi-part documentary on the history of the ACC Tournament.
The Tournament: A History of ACC Men’s Basketball Presented by New York Life will debut Monday, Feb. 7 at 9 p.m. ET following ACCN’s telecast of the Pitt-West Virginia game. Part 2 of the documentary will premiere directly afterward at 10 p.m. ET.

https://www.barrettsportsmedia.com/...ns-basketball-premieres-feb-7-on-acc-network/

Duke being the perennial ACC Tourney darlings + K’s swan song = get ready to get nauseous

There’s something to be said for waiting until the 1961/1962 and 1995/1996 episodes if they get much time. They’ll mention Randolph but who knows beyond that.

There’s something to be said for waiting until the 1961/1962 and 1995/1996 episodes if they get much time. They’ll mention Randolph but who knows beyond that.

Dude set the record (and I got tix to the final), so they have to mention Chill. But they might skip Cremins not knowing that it was Rutland who got hurt in the following year's game.

Yes surely the whatever feature there is on the ‘95 Chill performance will be worth it. I’m sure they got a good interview with him.

Love the ACC tournament, and looking forward to the series (which I am sure will be replayed 10 million times -- feel like the Coach K meeting with old players documentary runs continuously). Won't be shocked if WF is slighted, but OTOH, WF's ACC tourney history could not be more horrible since Tim Duncan left WF - sadly that is now about 40% of the history of the tournament. I believe WF is 8-25 in the ACC tourney since he left, and that record includes some horrible losses as one of the top ACC seeds. Also, the way the ACC seeds the tourney, crappy teams play other crappy teams, and WF has lost the vast majority of those crappy games over the last decade.

WF has not reached an ACC final since 1996 (26 years ago), and has not reached an ACC Semifinal since 2006. Other than the teams that joined the conference after MD left (and all of them have had more success than WF) there's no other ACC team that has longer droughts in either category. Barf.

Last edited:
Agreed it’s an awful drought. But also a lot of those years feel forgettable to me. (Maybe it’s because I’ve intentionally forgotten them.) But the real mystique of the tournament, which seems like what a documentary like this would highlight, is to me the tournaments from the 80s, 90s, and first part of the 2000s. The players, the coaches, the personalities… seems like there’s more to mine from the less recent years.

Probably multiple shots of K's crotch. Watching K on a highlight film will be tough.

Probably multiple shots of K's crotch. Watching K on a highlight film will be tough.

Take consolation they can only use .5 sec cut shots to/from him so we don't have to opportunity to read his lips.

This is what you got to do to keep the conference alive when you can buy a ticket to the Brooklyn ACC tourney for two dollars vs 5000 Jr high kids lined up for a mile waving money for a 1 percent chance to get in.

Got a second day ticket from Lefty Driesel after pissing next to him at Urinal in Holiday Inn Four Seasons Greensboro. Probably won't make historic account.

Agreed it’s an awful drought. But also a lot of those years feel forgettable to me. (Maybe it’s because I’ve intentionally forgotten them.) But the real mystique of the tournament, which seems like what a documentary like this would highlight, is to me the tournaments from the 80s, 90s, and first part of the 2000s. The players, the coaches, the personalities… seems like there’s more to mine from the less recent years.

Expansion killed the ACC Tournament. It was amazing from the 1950's to the early 2000's. Before the mid 70's you had to win the tourney to make the NCAA. And even after it was great. ACC Tourney Friday was like an unofficial holiday in NC.

Playing Notre Dame on a Saturday night in Brooklyn is NOT the ACC Tourney as it once was.

Agreed re the ACC Tournament. IMHO, it should still be an 8 team, 3 day event of just the top 8 teams. If you finished in the bottom half of the league, you should not qualify to play for a championship, you're not making the NCAA's, and your games will be tedious snoozefests. Let teams scramble to finish in the top 8.

Of course TV money and the opportunity to show yet another GEICO ad, and alum donation courting will keep it as is.

How hard is it not to watch a meaningless game ?

Agreed re the ACC Tournament. IMHO, it should still be an 8 team, 3 day event of just the top 8 teams. If you finished in the bottom half of the league, you should not qualify to play for a championship, you're not making the NCAA's, and your games will be tedious snoozefests. Let teams scramble to finish in the top 8.

Of course TV money and the opportunity to show yet another GEICO ad, and alum donation courting will keep it as is.

Don't agree.

First, the conference schedule is not balanced; so, teams could get eliminated by playing a tougher regular season.

Second, the point of the tournament was always to give every team a chance to win the title. Realize that its difficult to make a run if you aren't a top seed, but not impossible. In 2011, UCONN was the 9 seed in the Big East tourney, won 5 games in 5 days to win the title, and then, won the NCAA tournament.

Third, hate to agree with Biff, but if you don't like the first two rounds, don't watch until it gets to the quarters.

Back