• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 23: Deacs Host Pitt - Wednesday 7pm ESPN2

1920px-HoosierGymGame.jpg

Bingo. Look how packed that place is

Good win against a shitty team. Felt like one of our early season OOC games where we played tough in the first half and then were content to trade baskets for much of the second half. Wouldn't say it is concerning.

8 games left... 4 home / 4 road. Would really like to beat Miami (handily) at the Joel. The FSU & NCSU games are tough... FSU rarely loses at home and we suck at NCSU. Would be nice to win the next 3, but I'd be fine with 2-1 (getting to 20-6 / 10-5 before the Duke game).

Williamson is up to 42.1% from 3 for the year now. Since the Duke loss, he's gone: 3-5, 3-5, 3-5, 1-2, 5-8, 2-5... That's a nice run (17-30). Mucius has cooled, but Williamson and Monsanto have picked up the slack. We've moved up from DFL in 3pt% in conference games to 10th over the last few weeks. Also doesn't hurt when Walton, Sy, & LaRavia hit them at a high percentage.

I’m not sure this game is particularly puzzling given the fact that there was an industrial fire at risk of explosion like two miles away. That will keep some folks away.

Haha. Nothing like an explosion to keep people away.

Maybe an earthquake...or volcanic eruption...

Haha. Nothing like an explosion to keep people away.

Maybe an earthquake...or volcanic eruption...

YOU ARE NOT A REAL FAN UNLESS YOU GO, THROUGH RAIN, SLEET, SNOW, TIDAL WAVES, HURRICANES, TORNADOS, ENVIRONMENTAL DISATERS, PANDEMICS AND NUCLEAR WAR, IF YOU AREN'T THERE, YOU ARE SQUARE!!!!!!!

I said something about Davien Williamson that I want to take back...after the Duke game I thought we could get somebody in the portal better than him. I've completely changed my mind. Dude is a player and I'd love to have him back next year. I let one game cloud my judgement. Now, I want Davien to come back AND for us to land a stud guard in the portal :)

We could go 14-6 and still not get the double bye. seems like we have the toughest schedule coming home of the contenders.

We could go 14-6 and still not get the double bye. seems like we have the toughest schedule coming home of the contenders.

Only two more losses in the regular season is best case scenario, IMO.

Still think we settle in around 13-7/12-8 which should be enough to lock in an NCAA bid prior to the ACC Tourney.

I see the demographics haven't changed since those early 60s Hickory High teams/fans. Damn.

True, but that's not all bad. Read up about games at Kinston High this year; talent level may be in Kinston way better, but given the choice of which to attend I'd take my chances on a massive explosion 2 miles down the road.

need at least one of these two road games (FSU or NCSU) and then must beat Miami

if we hold serve at home we would have the 2-way tiebreaker against ND and the 3-way tiebreakers over Miami and ND, (or 4-way, if UNC is also involved) if it came to that

would lose a 2-way tiebreaker with Miami in any realistic scenario (split H2H, but they went 1-0 vs. Duke)

After last night's games, these are KP's projected final standings with remaining opponents for top 5:

1. Duke 16-4 (UNC, @UNC, UVA, @UVA, @CLEM, @BC, WF, FSU, @ Cuse, @ Pitt)
2. Notre Dame 14-6 (@State, L'ville, @CLEM, BC, @WF, Cuse, GT, @FSU, Pitt)
3. Miami 13-7 (@UVA, UVA, GT, @WF, @L'ville, @Pitt, VT, @BC, @ Cuse)
UNC 13-7 (Duke, @Duke, @CLEM, FSU, Pitt, @VT, L'ville, @NC State, Cuse)
WF 13-7 (@FSU, @NC State, NC State, Miami, @Duke, ND, @CLEM, L'ville)
6. UVA 10-10
FSU 10-10
Cuse 10-10
Clemson 10-10
VT 10
11. L'ville 7-13
BC 7-13
13. NC State 6-14
14. Pitt 5-15
GT 5-15

The home games against ND and Miami are huge for ACC tourney seeding. ND is the only contender that has games left against all three of the lowest rated teams in the conference: Pitt, BC and GT. Would be big if WF can sweep NC State hasn't happened in forever.

Last edited:
Yeah, feels like 5-3 is the baseline... 6-2 (or better) would be great.

While it appears like we have a tougher schedule, it wouldn't surprise me to see UNC, ND, and/or Miami shit the bed down the stretch.

4 seed is definitely in play. Would really like the 2 or 3 in order to avoid Duke until the final. Honestly, my expectations are low due to recent ACC tourney history... Let's just win a fucking game this year.

I feel pretty great about our chances @NC State. We will have a huge advantage in size/strength. Seabron and Smith are very good, and they can get hot from 3 just like every other team. But Jake and Walton should feast, and they have no one who can guard ManMan. I'll be in attendance for that one.

Might be true but unless our students start showing up at games and supporting the team Forbes is going to dip for better vibes.

It's not just the students. We can't rely on a student body of 4,500 or whatever it is now to put 10k plus butts in seats. It won't be easy for Forbes to recruit HS or portal players with crowds like those we have seen this season save the Holes game. BC was rescheduled on a Monday night at 6 pm - I get that but the turnout still sucked. Last nights Pitt game had the spectre of a burning fertilizer plant 2 miles away - I get that. But all of the crowds have been weak.

I get the whole "we sucked for a decade and it takes awhile to get the crowds back" argument - valid point. But whatever the reason(s), we have crowds at around 40% capacity to watch a good, well-coached team play ACC opponents. That's a problem...

On a more positive note, the team looked really good for much of the game. Forbes did a good job getting them ready to play after the Syracuse blowout loss.

WF hasn't reached the ACC tourney quarterfinals since March 2009 (and that year WF as #2 seed and lost to the #7 seed). Really is hard to believe. So, over the past 13 years, WF has failed to make it to the final 8 one time in a conference that has fluctuated between 12 and 15 teams. Talk about irrelevant.

WF hasn't reached the ACC tourney quarterfinals since March 2009 (and that year WF as #2 seed and lost to the #7 seed). Really is hard to believe. So, over the past 13 years, WF has failed to make it to the final 8 one time in a conference that has fluctuated between 12 and 15 teams. Talk about irrelevant.

Wow. And people wonder why butts are not fully back in seats in the Joel yet. It’s hard to overstate how irrelevant Wake basketball was under Bzzz and Manning.

Yeah. It’s going to take more than half a season to get back to where we were before this insane run of futility.

Back