• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Massive Fire Near Campus - Winston Weaver Fertilizer Plant 1400 N. Cherry Street

Help me understand why this facility wasn't moved out to Stokes County (or some other stop on the rail line) 50 years ago.

my guess is that the business owner liked the facility that they owned and that anyone who pointed out safety issues was branded an anti-capitalist snowflake who should trust the market

The plant was built before the residential development.

unknown.png

ha shouldn't have used red to mark the plant.

So, is everyone just waiting for this thing to blow? Is it inevitable?

I've got no special knowledge on this. But, with a big fire that the fire department had to abandon - it seems like it's just a matter of time. But I sure hope it's a bit more nuanced than that and there's hope

Last edited:
I'm guessing too that they're limited in some fashion where they could relocate by their need for rail transport.

Not really buying the arg that since this was built in the 40s they get to stay there forever as more and more people build houses and apartments around them - but I also don't decide zoning laws/issues for cities so what do I know.

I'm guessing too that they're limited in some fashion where they could relocate by their need for rail transport.

Not really buying the arg that since this was built in the 40s they get to stay there forever as more and more people build houses and apartments around them - but I also don't decide zoning laws/issues for cities so what do I know.

I also don't make/fully understand zoning laws, but can extant businesses be zoned out of where they are?

I've got no special knowledge on this. But, with a big fire that the fire department had to abandon - it seems like it's just a matter of time. But I sure hope it's a bit more nuanced than that and there's hope

The hope is that the wood and other burnable items surrounding the rail car either burn up or cool down to the point where the ammonium nitrate becomes more stable and less likely to destroy everything within sight. The drones have thermal imaging capabilities, so they can monitor the areas of the fire, and once conditions improve either switch back to an offensive fight or mop up things if the fire is contained.

I also don't make/fully understand zoning laws, but can extant businesses be zoned out of where they are?

I'm guessing it's more likely that ppl with money show up and say we would like to pay you to leave vs. the city zoning out an obvious public crisis waiting to happen but I'll defer to anyone with expertise.

The hope is that the wood and other burnable items surrounding the rail car either burn up or cool down to the point where the ammonium nitrate becomes more stable and less likely to destroy everything within sight. The drones have thermal imaging capabilities, so they can monitor the areas of the fire, and once conditions improve either switch back to an offensive fight or mop up things if the fire is contained.

I guess the 9:30 a.m. flyby didn't reveal anything?

Thanks for the info

I guess the 9:30 a.m. flyby didn't reveal anything?

Everything I'm seeing is from the local media, but here's what I can see:

There's been a structural collapse, which is basically pancaking the fire. Think of adding aluminum foil to something you put in the oven. There is not a large volume of flames at the moment, so hopefully most if not all of the combustible materials have already burned up overnight, leaving less material to consume. That'll help condense the fire to individual pockets rather than a massive central fire. They'll continue to monitor air quality, especially if there are other fertilizers and chemicals on site. Although the fire may be dwindling, the air quality could be a cause for continued evacuation.

not usually, no

impacts future development but doesn't displace existing

other factors may push a business out, but not a zoning change

Back