• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Massive Fire Near Campus - Winston Weaver Fertilizer Plant 1400 N. Cherry Street

I may have misheard this, I was listening while also in a meeting. It sounded like the Battalion Chief said there's a risk of explosion up to 36 hours after the fire threat is eliminated. Which would mean the evacuation would be possibly until sometime tomorrow evening if the bulk of the fire is in fact out.

I also don't make/fully understand zoning laws, but can extant businesses be zoned out of where they are?

You can change somebody's zoning but typically they would be allowed to remain as a legal, nonconforming use. However, once the building is demolished, it would have to conform to the new zoning ordinance. Building standards would have changed over the intervening 80 years anyway though.

Nearly every adult business that isn't located in an industrial area is operating under some sort of grandfathered special use permit that allows them to continue to operate in their location. But if they close for 30 days (or 90 or whatever) they permit is revoked and they can't reopen.

I'm not sure if there are regulations around chemicals that would relate to this building and their continued use and storage, but the site is next to the railroad tracks and zoned GI, General Industrial.

Changing a zoning and telling the property owner that they can't continue to do business would be a de facto taking.

I may have misheard this, I was listening while also in a meeting. It sounded like the Battalion Chief said there's a risk of explosion up to 36 hours after the fire threat is eliminated. Which would mean the evacuation would be possibly until sometime tomorrow evening if the bulk of the fire is in fact out.

I heard that on the news.

This is the quote that really annoys me and highlights the idiots emergency services has to deal with on a regular basis. So many people complain about the smallest requests and claim its an infringement upon their constitutional rights. Outside of a nuclear bomb, I can't think of anything that could cause a more catastrophic explosion if this thing goes.

"I am not nervous, but I will tell you I have been in this business 33 years. And when I learned how much ammonium nitrate was on site last night, I felt as uneasy [as I've ever felt] at a fire scene," Mayo said. "When the fire department moves back a mile, it's difficult for me to understand why the ordinary citizen does not realize the gravity of that situation and move themselves back a mile also."

Can’t wait to hear people bitch about what a milkwich this was if nothing explodes

You can change somebody's zoning but typically they would be allowed to remain as a legal, nonconforming use. However, once the building is demolished, it would have to conform to the new zoning ordinance. Building standards would have changed over the intervening 80 years anyway though.

Nearly every adult business that isn't located in an industrial area is operating under some sort of grandfathered special use permit that allows them to continue to operate in their location. But if they close for 30 days (or 90 or whatever) they permit is revoked and they can't reopen.

I'm not sure if there are regulations around chemicals that would relate to this building and their continued use and storage, but the site is next to the railroad tracks and zoned GI, General Industrial.

Changing a zoning and telling the property owner that they can't continue to do business would be a de facto taking.

Yeah but there are ways around it in certain situations. Shuffletown drag strip was there long before houses were anywhere near it, and was pretty much the Rockingham/Darlington of drag racing. Then the houses came and people complained about the noise that had been there for decades. The City of Charlotte passed a noise ordinance for the area and *poof* the drag strip had to close. If votes are to be had, the politicians find a way.

God, I saw a 2and2 post and was so very hopeful. What a disappointment.

Yeah, and that's pretty shitty and it was a fairly big deal when it happened.

I was trying to figure out what dorm that was and I guess it's north of Wait

haven't been to campus in like 10 years

Is that taken from the Polo courtyard looking over the two(?) dorms built in the Q parking lot?

Back