• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Massive Fire Near Campus - Winston Weaver Fertilizer Plant 1400 N. Cherry Street

So I assume the rain today is helping? Or does it hinder?

I’m no expert in fire or rain, but I generally think that water falling in massive quantities from the sky is not a bad thing.

The grass in that 1mi radius is going to be lush in the spring!

So I assume the rain today is helping? Or does it hinder?

Yes rain is good. There are three essential things for fire to exist, combustible material, oxygen, and heat. Take away any of the three and the fire goes away. Water is great to reduce the heat to below combustion temperatures, and enough of it can also drown out the oxygen supply. As bym mentioned though, you do have to worry about runoff with copious amounts of rain, but that is usually more of a concern for algae bloom when the temps are warmer.

This fire at a fertilizer plant was really a perfect storm of timing. The plant was ramping up for the spring planting season, so presumably they were operating at a higher capacity than normal, which resulted in a larger amount of ammonium nitrate on site.

Wow. I can't believe I left an evacuation/ejaculation Mako's mom joke on the table for this nothing burger.

[facebook]yeah i can't believe they evacuated 1 WHOLE MILE of the city FOR DAYS just for a little smoke

if I lived there I would be so angry[/facebook]

Do they know the cause yet?
It was reported shortly after a working day, so my initial guess is careless mistake. There's a good possibly that the fire burned away any evidence of the fire origin though. Unless the company had a video surveillance system, it might go down as undetermined.

Were any of the emergency professionals making odds on this turning into a massive explosion? Seems like some excellent response from authorities and also some tremendous luck. I was a pessimistic that this would turn out well but glad to be wrong.

W-SJ reported in the last day or two that there was a fire called in and responded to at the same place on December 26…so question is are these two fires related…?

Were any of the emergency professionals making odds on this turning into a massive explosion? Seems like some excellent response from authorities and also some tremendous luck. I was a pessimistic that this would turn out well but glad to be wrong.
No making odds, but ammonium nitrate is so volatile, it's such a crapshoot. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. They're fortunate that 2 hrs elapsed and they were able to still move everyone back. The fire in West, Texas resulted in the massive ammonium nitrate explosion in something like 15 min after the fire started.

Back