• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official CFB Offseason Thread: Saban and Jimbo Trade "Despicable" Punches ! !!!!!!! !

LOL. The NBA has 30 teams and 16 make the playoffs.

The NBA is a whole separate league.

That’s where this is headed though. The SEC establishes a big money playoff of their own. Then they invite more teams to join until they have their own NFL.

Yeah, who wouldn't rather be in the SEC's playoff rather than in some dumb playoff against Utah and UCF ?

More fun to talk about the games, there is an early season game of local interest.

UNC plays at App. State on September 3. The line on the game is UNC -3.5. This will be year 4 for old Mack's return to Chapel Hill. Seems like the return to glory that many expected hasn't been realized. FWIW, after App, UNC plays at GA State (not sure why UNC would play consecutive roadies at Sun Belt schools), VT, Notre Dame and @ Miami. Heels will be tested early. Then again later @ WF on November 12. Deacs owe the Heels. Would love to see WF slide the stake into the heart of the UNC season.

The NBA is a whole separate league.

That’s where this is headed though. The SEC establishes a big money playoff of their own. Then they invite more teams to join until they have their own NFL.
I could see a 32 team super league that essentially becomes the Saturday version of the NFL. Would have its own playoffs and championship game.

I could see a 32 team super league that essentially becomes the Saturday version of the NFL. Would have its own playoffs and championship game.

There's a reason that every minor league football league has failed. The more you try to position yourself as an under league to the NFL, the more people will just see it as a lesser version of what they can see on Sundays.

The reason college football has a big audience is because of all the fans of the other teams that would be left out by this. With the big teams only beating up on each other and not going out to play the other teams, interest would plummet.

Those leagues don’t have built in fans. If SEC fans want this, they’ll support it. That’s the key to determine if this is a success or ends up like the soccer Super League which failed after fans immediately revolted.

There's a reason that every minor league football league has failed. The more you try to position yourself as an under league to the NFL, the more people will just see it as a lesser version of what they can see on Sundays.

The reason college football has a big audience is because of all the fans of the other teams that would be left out by this. With the big teams only beating up on each other and not going out to play the other teams, interest would plummet.

This is the essence of college football fandom. The strong tie is the match between the diploma on the wall and the name on the front of the jersey. For many, it started in High School. You knew the guys personally, had classes with them, hung out with them etc. This continues to a lesser degree in college, as college football players are more separated from other students. Colleg football players still take classes and personally interact with the other students. While in school, there may be only one degree of separation between you and football players.

Anecdote: on of my suite mates would regularly shag for a scholarship FB player who was last string tight end. He wanted to work on his other skill, punting, more than he was able to during regular practices. This was how he chose to use his personal time. An NFL team was glad he did.

Once that connection is made, you watch your school, then add on schools your team plays regularly, and schools your spouse, friends, neighbors etc follow. Thus you have millions of fans in hundreds of stadia watching college football. And millions more fans watching it on TV.

Once that connection is broken, then the audience will drft away, if the "college" football players become only minor league professionals.

This is the essence of college football fandom. The strong tie is the match between the diploma on the wall and the name on the front of the jersey. For many, it started in High School. You knew the guys personally, had classes with them, hung out with them etc. This continues to a lesser degree in college, as college football players are more separated from other students. Colleg football players still take classes and personally interact with the other students. While in school, there may be only one degree of separation between you and football players.

Anecdote: on of my suite mates would regularly shag for a scholarship FB player who was last string tight end. He wanted to work on his other skill, punting, more than he was able to during regular practices. This was how he chose to use his personal time. An NFL team was glad he did.

Once that connection is made, you watch your school, then add on schools your team plays regularly, and schools your spouse, friends, neighbors etc follow. Thus you have millions of fans in hundreds of stadia watching college football. And millions more fans watching it on TV.

Once that connection is broken, then the audience will drft away, if the "college" football players become only minor league professionals.

There’s some truth to this, and certainly a correlation to those bankrolling the programs through donations, but the ties are much stronger regionally than institutionally. If you think that Georgia fans are mostly alums, I’ve got some news for you.

There’s some truth to this, and certainly a correlation to those bankrolling the programs through donations, but the ties are much stronger regionally than institutionally. If you think that Georgia fans are mostly alums, I’ve got some news for you.

It’s gonna be pretty cool when all senators from the South are former SEC football people

Way to go Currie !!

I had to re-read that. I was thinking Austin Powers - shag. Why wouldn't the football player shag his own...

I think the whole "SEC playoff" thing is not a serious idea, but is being thrown out there as a shot across the bow for the other conferences to quit whining about OU and TX and expand the playoff. There isn't any other conference that would've turned those two schools down, so time to lose the sour grapes and move on to what's best for CFB.

Back