• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington Commanders?

Browns were named by and for their first owner.

Commanders will seem normal within two years like Football Team does now.

Kraken and Pelicans are two of the best new mascot names.

The only name I really liked for Washington was the Hogs. Unique and specific to the franchise.

There are 14 good mascot names in the NFL - original, related to the geography, would make zero sense if the team moved. Old AFL teams did a pretty nice job with their mascot names, in general. The rest are just meh

In no particular order:

Patriots
Dolphins
Steelers
Ravens
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys
Packers
Vikings
Saints
Falcons
Panthers
49ers
Seahawks

They went from Redskins to the Commies - i.e., the Red Scare

I would've liked the Red Tails a lot better.

This. For a team that had a racist name and a racist history with "fight for old Dixie", I thought this was a great opportunity to keep Red in the name and honor some military heroes. That organization can't get anything right.

Manmen would be nice for sentimental reasons

This. For a team that had a racist name and a racist history with "fight for old Dixie", I thought this was a great opportunity to keep Red in the name and honor some military heroes. That organization can't get anything right.

The lyrics were "Fight for old D.C.", as in Washington, D.C., where the team was from.

Have you gone through life thinking this?

The lyrics were "Fight for old D.C.", as in Washington, D.C., where the team was from.

Have you gone through life thinking this?

After they changed the original “fight for old Dixie” lyrics in the 60s when the team finally integrated.

http://www.espn.com/page2/wash/s/closer/020315.html

Where today's song cheers fans to "Fight for old D.C.!" the original version's "Fight for old Dixie!" played directly to the fans' Southern identity. And while the Redskins still use a racial slur for their team name, some words in the original fight song didn't do much to deflect accusations of racism. Where the song now says, "Beat 'em, swamp 'em, touchdown! -- Let the points soar!" it once went, "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! -- We want heap more!" The lyrics were subsequently cleaned up in the '60s, after Marshall's Redskins were, notoriously in 1962, the last pro team to integrate.

After they changed the original “fight for old Dixie” lyrics in the 60s when the team finally integrated.

http://www.espn.com/page2/wash/s/closer/020315.html

Where today's song cheers fans to "Fight for old D.C.!" the original version's "Fight for old Dixie!" played directly to the fans' Southern identity. And while the Redskins still use a racial slur for their team name, some words in the original fight song didn't do much to deflect accusations of racism. Where the song now says, "Beat 'em, swamp 'em, touchdown! -- Let the points soar!" it once went, "Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! -- We want heap more!" The lyrics were subsequently cleaned up in the '60s, after Marshall's Redskins were, notoriously in 1962, the last pro team to integrate.

Ok. So for 60 years the lyrics have been "Fight for Old D.C." In any case, calling "Dixie" racist is silly in my opinion -- it comes from a play on the Mason-Dixon Line, but I suppose if you want to look hard enough to find something, you will ultimately will. I'm also struggling to find racism in the ""Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! -- We want heap more!" lyrics. Again, you are reaching.

It sounds stupid. But look at all the professional team mascot names. There are tons that must have sounded so stupid at the time when they first were named. I mean I get the reason behind both, but the Cleveland Browns and the Buffalo Bills? I know these make tons of sense now historically. But at the time they must have at least sounded a little silly? Titans? Wizards? Pelicans? Some are just weak.

The Bills are the worst name in pro sports. It has never made any sense. The logo is using the city's name as the mascot and not the team name, and the team name is an ode to someone who has no connection to the city or the team other than through the city's coincidental name. The level of stupidity in that branding is pretty high.

At least the Angels made sense when they were the California Angels and I guess they kept it because of the history. Though The Angels Angels currently may be worse than the Buffalo Bills.

Maybe he’s not familiar with how scalping was a technique of genocide against Native Americans.

Longing for and fighting for Old Dixie is pro-Confederacy and therefore pro-slavery.

Washington was the last professional football team to integrate 42 years after Fritz Pollard. Hard not to accept that racism played a major role in the history of that franchise.

The Redskins (owner George Preston Marshall) integrated at that time under pressure from the federal government who refused to allow them to build a new stadium in DC unless they integrated. They drafted Ernie Davis out of Syracuse and immediately traded him to the Browns for Bobby Mitchell (both African Americans). Sadly, Ernie Davis died soon thereafter of cancer.

There are definitely parallels between the franchise finally integrating and changing the fight song during the Civil Rights Movement and finally changing the mascot in summer 2020.

Back