• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Washington Commanders?

The lyrics were "Fight for old D.C.", as in Washington, D.C., where the team was from.

Have you gone through life thinking this?

Ok. So for 60 years the lyrics have been "Fight for Old D.C." In any case, calling "Dixie" racist is silly in my opinion -- it comes from a play on the Mason-Dixon Line, but I suppose if you want to look hard enough to find something, you will ultimately will. I'm also struggling to find racism in the ""Scalp 'em, swamp 'em -- We will take 'em big score / Read 'em, weep 'em, touchdown! -- We want heap more!" lyrics. Again, you are reaching.

I hope he doesn’t actually think Native Americas use the word “heap” a lot.

https://www.historyonthenet.com/authentichistory/diversity/native/is3-buffoon/index.html

The Buffoon
The Ignoble Savage: The Buffoon
The Indian Buffoon is a negative caricature that is often excused as being acceptable because he is funny. The Buffoon is an exceptionally degrading and dehumanized caricature. Inherent in the Buffoon is a notion that Indian culture is worthless and Indians themselves are primitive, ugly, and stupid, good only for mocking. The Buffoon is ignorant of his own low intelligence and often is not aware of the things going on around him, including the jokes being made about him. The Buffoon frequently talks in degrading, stereotypical dialect and tone that can be traced back to the 1830s stage portrayal of Metacom (named Metamora in the play) by White actor Edwin Forrest. The dialect includes excessive use of the word "heap," and the placement of "um" at the end of many verbs. One common use of the Buffoon is to de-sexualize the male Native by highlighting his awkward and usually futile advances toward Indian maidens. Use of the degrading word "injun" in place of the word Indian (which is already a misnomer) is also common with the Buffoon.

Can we call it a tie? Both are turrible. I prefer Washington Football Team over Commanders.

there's a tweet for everything. his is joke is better.

DC United is a great name. Should have gone DC Arsenal for the football team, relocated near Nats Park where the actual Arsenal is. Instead they're the Derps. I did enjoy the radio coverage this morning when they put up a poll for WFT fans and got a 5% approval rating for Commanders, which went out live as the team was saying how great a job they did at listening to the fanbase and choosing something they loved. So very on-brand for this ownership.

I'm not sure Snyder's fellow NFL owner Stan Kroenke would have gone along with that.

Does someone want to post this article? https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/02/02/washington-commanders-name/ I give Jeff Bezos enough of my money.

Becoming the Commanders: How Washington’s NFL team found its new name

There were mixed reactions in the D.C. area on Feb. 2 after Washington’s NFL team revealed that it will now be known as the Commanders. (Jorge Ribas/The Washington Post)
By Nicki Jhabvala
February 2 at 8:30 AM ET
Washington’s NFL franchise took to national television Wednesday morning to announce its new nickname — the Washington Commanders, a name that hearkens to D.C.’s military and political ties — a public unveiling of a decision that team officials settled on last fall.
The process began 18 months ago, when the team announced that after 87 years it would no longer be known as the Redskins, and involved input ranging from fans’ suggestions to co-CEO Tanya Snyder’s opinions on uniform design, two team officials familiar with the matter said. As the franchise played two full seasons as the Washington Football Team, officials whittled a list of 1,200 potential names to three finalists, each of which was put through an extensive vetting process before the final decision was made.
Team executives worked closely with the digital creative company Code & Theory, as well as designers from Nike and NFL personnel. All along the way, team executives say they sought out feedback from fans.
[What's your reaction to Washington's name change? We want to hear from you.]
The team received more than 40,000 fan submissions, letters sometimes accompanied with children’s drawings of potential logos, or a family’s generational history of attending Washington games, team officials said. Some pleaded with team executives to scrap the whole project and reinstate the controversial former name. Others shared memories of watching quarterback Doug Williams, now a senior adviser to team president Jason Wright.
The team held focus groups with fans and alumni — sometimes up to five a day — and many panels included Wright himself. He even cold-called ticket-holders, something he has continued to do, those familiar with the process said. Versions of similar stories resonated — often about the experience of attending games at RFK Stadium, where it would get so loud that the seats would shake. Fans shared the ideals they felt a new name should convey: resilience and grit, tradition and unity, according to team officials.

While gathering public opinion, the team sought legal clearance for potential names, relying on in-house counsel, then led by Damon Jones, who since has left to join the Los Angeles Dodgers, as well as outside attorneys.
Doing so often yielded clarity. Wright said in January that the name RedWolves was vetoed because the trademark was unavailable. Such was the case for another name Washington considered: D.C.F.C., for Washington D.C. Football Club. That mark is owned by the USL Championship soccer team Detroit City FC, whose colors are also burgundy and gold.
[Washington Football Team announces ‘Commanders’ as its new name]
As Washington delved deeper into the legal weeds, finding a name that was a sharp departure from conventional sports terms became a priority, to avoid not only immediate legal issues, but also future conflict should the franchise seek to use the name to expand its business ventures. Wright said last year that the franchise intends to use this rebranding as “a catalyst” to create new businesses, much like the Dallas Cowboys have.

The Washington Football Team announced on Feb. 2 on NBC's "Today" that the team's new name will be the 'Commanders.' (NBC)
Washington officials also closely monitored the efforts of the Cleveland Guardians, the Major League Baseball team that unveiled its new name and logo last summer. The two teams stayed in touch during early in their processes, the two Washington officials said, until it became clear they had very different strategies. Cleveland wanted a quick rollout. Washington wanted more fan input, which required more time.
[Washington's 18-month rebrand was extensive. Now the hard part begins.]
Keeping the name a secret required legal maneuvering. One potential route could have involved filing overseas trademark applications with countries that were a part of the Paris Convention, an 1883 industrial property agreement; the records of some participating countries can’t be searched online. Another possible strategy: requiring contractors and employees involved in the process to sign nondisclosure agreements.

Team officials declined to reveal the finalists, but once its list was whittled down to three, the vetting became even more extensive. With the help of Code & Theory, logos, helmets and uniforms were designed for each finalist and tested in every way imaginable: how they would appear on a TV screen crawl, or in a lineup with other NFL logos, or in a social media avatar.
Commanders was chosen last fall, according to the team officials, and a meticulous design phase quickly followed. Code & Theory designed the Commanders logo, and Nike handled the helmet designs. Tanya Snyder, the wife of owner Daniel Snyder who was appointed the team’s co-CEO last summer and has a background in the fashion industry, was said to be heavily involved in the uniform design.
[As Washington Football Team rebrands, former identity fuels a collectibles market]
With all of this taking place during the coronavirus pandemic, the majority of the collaboration was done virtually, or in small in-person meetings. Even now, the pandemic is influencing the rollout. Fans can preorder burgundy Commanders jerseys, but because of global supply chain issues, shipments likely won’t arrive for months.
Changing the signage at the FedEx Field and the team’s headquarters in Ashburn will be another task. By the start of the season, in September, the team hopes to the integration of the rebranding will be largely complete.
Team officials said they know not every fan will embrace the change. Letters from many of them in recent months stated as much. But Wednesday’s launch was the first step, less away from a controversial past and more toward something tangible they hope will represent a collectively celebrated future.
In a moment captured in the team’s “Making the Brand” video series that offered fans a glimpse into its process, Wright and Coach Ron Rivera and Wright first laid eyes on a burgundy Washington Commanders helmet.
“I love this,” Rivera said, as he spun the helmet around. “Right on. I think the look is gonna be hot. I think the fans will appreciate the look as well.”

There are 14 good mascot names in the NFL - original, related to the geography, would make zero sense if the team moved. Old AFL teams did a pretty nice job with their mascot names, in general. The rest are just meh

In no particular order:

Patriots
Dolphins
Steelers
Ravens
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys
Packers
Vikings
Saints
Falcons
Panthers
49ers
Seahawks

How is Falcons original or related to the geography of the area? Austin Falcons, Salt Lake City Falcons, Memphis Falcons, they all work as well. Same thing with panthers.

There are 14 good mascot names in the NFL - original, related to the geography, would make zero sense if the team moved. Old AFL teams did a pretty nice job with their mascot names, in general. The rest are just meh

In no particular order:

Patriots
Dolphins
Steelers
Ravens
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys
Packers
Vikings
Saints
Falcons
Panthers
49ers
Seahawks

Philadelphia Eagles belong on that list.

I dunno…commanders makes me think of the assholes in The Handmaid’s Tale.

Should have been Washington FC (Football Club)

Just a football logo on the helmet for the win.

I don’t know why there wasn’t more support for “Hogs” or “Red Hogs.” Seems like a missed opportunity

PTI made a great point about the inevitability of “Commies.” Pro team mascots with more than 2 syllables gets shortened to 1 or 2 syllables in the media and everyday speech.

Pats, Bucs, T-Wolves, Niners, A’s, Cards, etc. Pelicans is the only one that doesn’t usually get shortened to Pels. There’s no good option for the Commandos. Commies is out. Mandos? Disney may not like that. The Dos maybe? Or Dohs would fit the franchise better.

Back