• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

Several words in there need to be replaced with “monorail” or GTFO.

Keep Joel. Reduce seating with 4 corner bars in the upper deck- “4 corners” with each filled with memorabilia from the big 4, only open them on game days, 2 hours before and after, change out seats so they alternate black and gold, done other than improvements to the lower level. And monorail.

I've heard a number of "keep the lower bowl and turn some of the upper seats into club area" suggestions for renovation of the Joel, but that leaves us with one of the biggest general purpose civic arena problems unsolved. The lower bowl (and upper) puts everyone too far from the action. Seats need to be steeper and closer to the court. If we renovate the Joel, the court needs to be lowered significantly and the entire lower bowl rebuilt to create that.

I've heard a number of "keep the lower bowl and turn some of the upper seats into club area" suggestions for renovation of the Joel, but that leaves us with one of the biggest general purpose civic arena problems unsolved. The lower bowl (and upper) puts everyone too far from the action. Seats need to be steeper and closer to the court. If we renovate the Joel, the court needs to be lowered significantly and the entire lower bowl rebuilt to create that.

I'd go with raising the floor to bring everything closer to the ceiling and then rebuild the bowl around it.

Under Premier Wellman, weren't there preliminary sketches, renderings back in the day? I seem to recall something from Mr. Socks.

Somebody posted them in this thread.

I assumed they were.

If you have attended less than 10 home games in the last decade, please reveal that so no one takes you seriously.

Donald, if we did build an arena on campus where would you put it? How would you manage game day parking?

The on campus part is such a small part of my position. This is about size and structure for college basketball.

Speaking of which, if you have been to a college basketball game on less than 10 campuses, you also shouldn’t have a public opinion.

MSD has put so many new buildings up on campus over the last 20 years people have been saying there’s no room for an on-campus arena.

Donald Ross has been right for 20 years, it shouldn't even be a question as to whether to renovate or build anew

Re Donald Ross, I think the vast majority of fans and posters agree that we need a better home environment. That’s not really even in dispute. And most of those who believe the Joel can be upgraded want to see massive improvements so that it would be barely recognizable. Personally, I’d like to see a new building more accessible from campus. 10,000 seats seems perfect.

What DR is wrong about is the impact the building would have. Hiring Forbes did more for our program than any building could. I mean, Syracuse plays in an incredibly ugly football stadium and they win. A lot. The building could help, and our fans, coach, and players deserve it. But it’s not going to score points or play defense.

A hot piece of property not too far from campus and ready for development is at 4440 N. Cherry Street.

A hot piece of property not too far from campus and ready for development is at 4440 N. Cherry Street.

Meh. That’s a load of shit. People said it was about to blow up and nothing happened.

MSD has put so many new buildings up on campus over the last 20 years people have been saying there’s no room for an on-campus arena.

Im amazed at how much Wake's campus has changed over the past 20 years. My son is a freshman and its pretty amazing to see what they've done with the North Campus. And there are a ton of places to eat. We had the Pit, the Mag room and the Grill in Reynolda which I forgot what it was called, though I ordered a Double Deac pretty much every M-W-F for two years. At least he gets to enjoy finding his away around Tribble.

Back to this thread...Whenever I read a Donald Ross post I hear it in Donald Trump's voice, and it usually ends with him calling us all a bunch of looosers.

no on campus arena. parking would be a cluster. students just need buses or whatever to drive them and pick them up. We have a good spot just tear it down or improve. Went to a duke game years ago and had to park in some remote parking lot off campus and wait for some bus to take you to the game. It sucked big time, will never go to a game at duke again. Not only was it a shitty experience getting there but the big high school gym sucks as well

Back