• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

It may have been said earlier but I wish they would add some black and gold to the exterior as well, no mint green

If you have attended less than 10 home games in the last decade, please reveal that so no one takes you seriously.
I've attended 9 less than 10 home games in the past decade because I take my boycott of Wellman's shit show seriously.

Last edited:
I think I went to two games. One Bz, one Manning. I wasn’t boycotting, I just wasn’t interested.

What is attending 10 games or more in the last 10 years supposed to show? I think I went to 3 games between 2011 and 2021, after attending many dozens in the two decades previously. That has nothing to do with the Joel being a shit venue and everything to do with WF hiring loser coaches and fielding a loser program. I also completely agree the Joel is an inadequate venue in which to meet today’s needs.

no on campus arena. parking would be a cluster. students just need buses or whatever to drive them and pick them up. We have a good spot just tear it down or improve. Went to a duke game years ago and had to park in some remote parking lot off campus and wait for some bus to take you to the game. It sucked big time, will never go to a game at duke again. Not only was it a shitty experience getting there but the big high school gym sucks as well

I could only imagine how much more it would suck if Duke had never hired coach K.

MSD has put so many new buildings up on campus over the last 20 years people have been saying there’s no room for an on-campus arena.

I think there is some validity in this point, but none of those buildings hold as much as a basketball coliseum and require all of the attendees to exit at exactly the same time. I am definitely not saying traffic is an insurmountable obstacle, but it does keep it from being an apples-to-apples comparison. I am sure the school also wanted to maintain some flexibility to make those expansions over time. Ideally, an on-campus arena would still allow for access to parking through an off-campus route.

But, I am on the West coast and have attended less than 10 Wake homes games in the last decade, so you can't take my post seriously.

no on campus arena. parking would be a cluster. students just need buses or whatever to drive them and pick them up. We have a good spot just tear it down or improve. Went to a duke game years ago and had to park in some remote parking lot off campus and wait for some bus to take you to the game. It sucked big time, will never go to a game at duke again. Not only was it a shitty experience getting there but the big high school gym sucks as well

Well, there is a argument that it is to our advantage to make it easy for students to attend and a pain for opposing fans to the point that they refuse to return.

“On campus” doesn’t mean it has to be on the freaking quad, there is plenty of Wake property adjacent to campus on University or Stratford road where parking and road access could be managed

Last edited:
Is that in response to me?
If you are talking about locations adjacent to campus, what is an example that is appreciable better than the current virtually adjective to campus Deacon blvd complex? I am asking genuinely.

Is that in response to me?
If you are talking about locations adjacent to campus, what is an example that is appreciable better than the current virtually adjective to campus Deacon blvd complex? I am asking genuinely.

I’ve already posted 2 locations I think would be preferable. I think Wake has a good offcampus athletics campus with Tennis/Football/Baseball and the nanotechnology research facility, but the Joel doesn’t currently fit because it’s offset in the middle of a gigantic parking lot away from Baity Street. Hell, if the arena was just smaller and sitting where the Annex is I think people would be much happier with it. It just doesn’t fit our basketball program to be sharing an enormous civic auditorium.

Students could walk their lazy asses to the games if we have an OCA.

What is attending 10 games or more in the last 10 years supposed to show? I think I went to 3 games between 2011 and 2021, after attending many dozens in the two decades previously. That has nothing to do with the Joel being a shit venue and everything to do with WF hiring loser coaches and fielding a loser program. I also completely agree the Joel is an inadequate venue in which to meet today’s needs.

It's an attempt to discredit the opinions of others without having to actually engage them.

“On campus” doesn’t mean it has to be on the freaking quad, there is plenty of Wake property adjacent to campus on University or Stratford road where parking and road access could be managed

Stratford?

It's an attempt to discredit the opinions of others without having to actually engage them.

It’s really not. It really just means you are talking about something you don’t know about. I’m not saying you have to have been to 175 campus venues like me. But without actually having been in person to 10, you really shouldn’t be cluttering the discourse.

You don’t hear me telling you how to be married, raise kids or what the soccer stadium should look like. I just have a weak frame of reference and shouldn’t be pretending otherwise.

The university absolutely has the land to build an OCA. Uncertain if they want to develop that land as it serves as a buffer from neighboring communities, or if they want the logistical headache of additional parking infrastructure at a time when they are actively minimizing on campus parking.

Would an OCA generate more revenue than an engineering school for example? I think it would, but there is a best use for that land that has to be weighed against the cost of the land and ownership of the LJVM parcel.

At the same time, I do think it would be easier for us to have a consistently winning basketball program if we had a smaller arena that prioritized student seating, and even more so if it were on campus. Would that be the only key to winning? Of course not. Coaching and recruiting matter too. And we already have our coaching needs met. Recruiting would absolutely be helped by a new arena.

Personally I think we should drop it right where the law school currently sits.

It’s really not. It really just means you are talking about something you don’t know about. I’m not saying you have to have been to 175 campus venues like me. But without actually having been in person to 10, you really shouldn’t be cluttering the discourse.

It's literally exactly that. It's condescending and dismissive. Congrats on spending a couple hours at most of those 175 campus venues. I've been to all 50 states for at least one night, but that doesn't mean I tell people who have only been to a few that they aren't qualified to talk about airports.

If you haven’t been to more than 1-2 airports of course it does.

John Currie is listening, as he well should be. We hired Forbes in large part because that’s what 80% of you folks wanted to do. Likewise, when we get unqualified opinions going in, we won’t have the momentum to get it done.

Well, there is a argument that it is to our advantage to make it easy for students to attend and a pain for opposing fans to the point that they refuse to return.

Couldn't the students just drive their BMW's?

Back